Wild Lettuce = Lactuca virosa = opium lettuce - It's a weed we generally mow over

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just watching Youtube videos on herbal medicines and ran into this. I went out my back door to the edge of my yard, and in the shade at the edge I counted 17 plants.

Came back inside and looked for further information = when you cut it, it bleeds a white sap. Fits the pictures, bleeds white, so that's confirmation!

Wild Lettuce is not a drug, and is not illegal:

Health benefits of Wild Lettuce

Wild Lettuce is an herb which is not considered a vegetable like the common green lettuce. Wild lettuce is more popular for its “opium-like” effects due to its sedative and psychotropic properties. It is believed that the Ancient Greeks and Romans used this herb as a food crop. Wild Lettuce has a few health related benefits which include the following:

1. Helps to relieve pain

Wild Lettuce has analgesic property, along with sedative property which makes it an excellent painkiller. The action of compounds found in the lactucarium is similar to the action of morphine, which reduces the central nervous system, blunting its ability to feel the pain. Thus, wild lettuce is beneficial for solving colic pain, arthritic pain, muscle spasms, joint pain, muscle pain, and uterine cramps in women during the menstruation.

2. Hardening of arteries

Atherosclerosis is a condition in which the arteries become thick and stiff, by this means, blood pressure will increase and the blood flow to the organs and tissues will be restricted. This happens due to cholesterol, fats and other substances to get accumulated in the walls of arteries. The seed oil of wild lettuce helps to regain the flexibility and elasticity of the affected arteries.

3. Used in treatment of urinary tract problems

Natural diuretics are a safer alternative to diuretic medicines as they pose less or no side effects. Wild lettuce has diuretic property and can be used to treat urinary tract infections.

4. Used to treat respiratory issues

Wild lettuce can be used as a natural treatment for asthma and annoying coughs due to its antitussive properties. It helps to bring down the irritation of the bronchial tubes and lungs. It also facilitates the difficulty breathing associated with asthma. Besides, it can be an effective treatment for a whooping cough and bronchitis.

5. Helps to soothe stress and anxiety

Wild lettuce has a mild euphoric property. It is supposed to have properties which inhibit nervous system’s functions. Therefore, wild lettuce is used to soothe the stress and anxiety.

6. For the Skin

Wild lettuce is beneficial in treating chapped skin. Locals use the latex of the herb topically to treat minor skin related issues such as infections.

7. Helps with migraines and headaches

Wild lettuce is wonderful for treating migraines and headaches. One cup of wild lettuce tea ebbs a headache away amazingly fast. The tincture form of wild lettuce is also effective in getting rid of a headache.

8. To treat sexual disorders

Wild lettuce helps to hold back the sex drive. Therefore, it is used to treat nymphomania – uncontrollable and extreme sex drive in women.

9. Sedative

Pain relieving qualities of Wild Lettuce also help in relaxing the body. This makes it very useful in the treatment of insomnia and anxiety, with it also called feeble opium because it does not upset the digestive system. However, it is said to produce a euphoric, dreamy effect making it much easier to drop off to sleep.

This sedative effect makes it especially beneficial to an overactive nervous system and it’s particularly good for hyperactive children

10. Other Benefits

Wild Lettuce is also used for treating whooping cough and dry cough. According to some, the seeds of the herb can be used to treat hardening of the arteries. The herb is diuretic and can help in increasing perspiration. Some also associate the herb with the treatment of the excessive sex drive in women which is also known as nymphomania and priapism in men.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I plucked a leaf off just to make sure I'd identified the correct plant.

Several hours ago I ingested that leaf, and now I think I'll be going to sleep early tonight.

PM me if you wish the details. I had no idea it would really work.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Reading a book last night ,wild lettuce was mentioned ?(Hey I did a lot of folk remedy reading) in a poultice (For pain) use. A better use than ingesting perhaps...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Did you say holds back sex drive? "Honey, where's the Roundup?:laughing7:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you say holds back sex drive? "Honey, where's the Roundup?:laughing7:

No, I read it was good for the sex drive. I'd better go back reading again!

Now that I see the deer love them, they're competing with me! But every year there seem to be more deer here! They ate my patch :(

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's all hunt for doped up deer!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker, I really enjoyed this thread and thanks for posting. I believe you've also answered a question I've had for a long time. I was weeding near the garden and I wear goggles but not a full face shield. Something I hit with the weed eater shot a gob of milky white liquid on my lower lip. I spat and wiped my face with my bandana and went on with the program. In about three minutes my whole lower lip was numb. I couldn't figure if was plant related or if I'd maybe hit some kind of spider that wound up on my lip.
I believe this was probably it. Definitely powerful stuff!

Thanks again for the post.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much everything your post says is true however its a very bitter herb and if eaten raw to much of it has a great laxative effect ;) To make it edible rinse it in cold water after you pick it, let it rest, then blanch it in hot to boiling hot water and moment and put it back into cold water immediately. This reduces the bitterness and reduces its pain killing properties as well as laxative properties. I often use it in what I call "yard" salads and its available most of the year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions