The mature stoner: why are so many seniors smoking weed?

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm late to this one while I dislike all the anti weed stuff I also dislike those that overly celebrate weed. It does have chemicals in it that are medicinal that is a fact but there are also things in it when smoked that aren't so good for you. I myself had to learn the hard way. I have generalized anxiety disorder and used to smoke and had to quit after smoking and being flung into a terrible anxiety attack that lead to neurosis which I'd wish on no one took months to feel myself again. People do not understand you do have to be cautious with it. The stuff we have compared to like stuff in the 70s is not the same and have way more thc. This is just one story that I had to experience and there are many other things that can go wrong. Just a little rant as it bugs me sometimes. Not against weed though and don't think it should be illegal or anything silly like that.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm late to this one while I dislike all the anti weed stuff I also dislike those that overly celebrate weed. It does have chemicals in it that are medicinal that is a fact but there are also things in it when smoked that aren't so good for you. I myself had to learn the hard way. I have generalized anxiety disorder and used to smoke and had to quit after smoking and being flung into a terrible anxiety attack that lead to neurosis which I'd wish on no one took months to feel myself again. People do not understand you do have to be cautious with it. The stuff we have compared to like stuff in the 70s is not the same and have way more thc. This is just one story that I had to experience and there are many other things that can go wrong. Just a little rant as it bugs me sometimes. Not against weed though and don't think it should be illegal or anything silly like that.
Yeah I hear it isn't the same, and I haven't smoked weed since 1978. I also hear that ten bucks doesn't get you a whole bag of weed these days, either.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me not that big a difference between 1970s weed and now, growing up in Florida I usually had the best that was available in the 70s Columbian, Panama Red, even when I went north for work I still was supplied by my friends in Florida.

I always seemed to run into the best people to know for some reason when I was on the road in the 70s, 80s, and 90s had a friend who was from Hawaii in the mid-70s who would bring back their best.

I had friends who were former co-workers in northern California and Oregon who would send me sensimilla and I had friends stationed on Air Force bases in a couple of mid-west states who brought in some of the best of SE Asia. I also had a good friend from Mexico who lived in the states who got me Alcopolco gold.

Even now my luck still seems to be the same with some great friends when needed.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw almost all street drugs now contain some fentanyl. That includes weed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your link....

"Fortunately, laced marijuana is still a rarity. Most dealers aren’t giving products away for free, and lacing takes away drugs they can sell on their own. Although there are rumors that dealers lace marijuana to get users hooked more rapidly and strongly to their products, it’s economically unlikely they’d cut into their profits."

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I reckon it ever gets legal around here abouts I will grow me a big ole patch back in the holler and not worry about all those helicopters flying over and that one plane that always fly's low around 2:00 o'clock every day! 🤣
Yes sirrrreee.
Here is a song by a guy I shared a bowl with as we watched the Rolling Stones in Memphis some years back.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don;t know how lod this article is, but I just read the other day almost all street drug
From your link....

"Fortunately, laced marijuana is still a rarity. Most dealers aren’t giving products away for free, and lacing takes away drugs they can sell on their own. Although there are rumors that dealers lace marijuana to get users hooked more rapidly and strongly to their products, it’s economically unlikely they’d cut into their profits."
I think that is an old article. Just saw it the other day, have to look for the article.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I hear it isn't the same, and I haven't smoked weed since 1978. I also hear that ten bucks doesn't get you a whole bag of weed these days, either.
Don,t need a big bag of today,s weed,don,t need to roll up that big old fatty either.A little pin joint of today,s stuff will do the job. People don,t smoke the same amount they did in the 60-70s because you don,t have to to achieve the desired effect.The rant about today,s reefer being so potent is a false flag meant to uphold a negative opinion.Most people who are vehemently against legalization have no earthly idea how it feels to toke.To be fair,if you oppose the recreational use of weed,you must also oppose the recreational use of alcohol,right? How about that.all you recreational use oppossers,lets hear what you think.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. I guess they want to get stupid, fat, slow, lazy, unhealthy, brain damaged, loss of memory, broke. etc.
I meant to add this with my other quote of this... but I think your comment is worthy of a whole separate response that also has the benefit of "bumping" this thread along...

SO... as many possible people who can see it... will.

Your statement is the one and same one liner rhetoric of generic falsehoods that originated from the ole stereotypical racial slur salesmen who held objectives in its illegalization.

Common sense has shown... well to some of us it seems... that each descriptive element of your statement holds a sliver of truth... even if it is a generalization of the these slivers of truths that formed the stigmas and fears that helped keep it downed and illegal... that these proclaimed "results" of frequent Marijuana use are not even remotely true.. even in a general sense.

But don't feel bad... your not alone.... and i don't blame you for being blinded...
For it has always been easier to believe the smaller bad before the greater good.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Down side, Even though there are ways you can Legally Own & Smoke it,
There are also ways they can Use it against you.

I don't know if there are any states where you Must Give up your Right to Own Guns or a Drivers License if you have a Prescription or Not. But it wouldn't Surprise me if there is.

here in pa when I needed pain pills, I had to show a drivers license and they copied the number
to fill my prescription. and had to take a piss test and practically sign my life away.
and had to sign my right to
visit my family doctor away to get the prescription in the first place.
that is if I tested positive for something i shouldn't have, my dr would have supposedly dis-owned me lol

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
https://www.theguardian.com/society...e-stoner-why-are-so-many-seniors-smoking-weed

Older people are the fastest-growing group of cannabis users, as stigma fades and some seek an alternative to prescription drugs

View attachment 1671309

The generation that camped out at Woodstock is now in its seventies.’ Illustration: George Wylesol for the Guardian

As attitudes towards cannabis shift, the fastest-growing group of users is over 50 – and marijuana’s popularity among seniors is beginning to change the American experience of old age.

Why are more seniors getting high? It might make more sense to ask: “Why not?” As adults reach retirement, they age out of drug tests and have far more time on their hands. Some feel liberated to abandon long-held proprieties.

Elegant vape pens and other attractive, discreet products have helped de stigmatize the drug among older Americans. “Legalization seems to make non-users seem a little less scared of it, and perhaps less judgmental,” says Jo, a 56-year-old cannabis user who preferred not to use her real name.

The seniors using cannabis today aren’t your parents’ grandparents. The generation that camped out at Woodstock is now in its seventies. They’ve been around grass long enough to realize it’s not going to kill them, and are more open to the possibility it will come with health benefits. (By contrast, in a survey of one, my 100-year-old grandmother recently said she had no interest in medical marijuana.)

Seniors’ affinity for weed is beginning to ripple across the US healthcare system. A 2016 study found that in states with access to medical marijuana, those using Medicare part D – a benefit primarily for seniors – received fewer prescriptions for other drugs to treat depression, anxiety, pain, and other chronic issues.

For the most part, scientific research has not confirmed marijuana as an effective treatment for these conditions. But proven or not, a number of seniors evidently prefer it to the medications they would otherwise be taking. A study published last year in in the Journal of the American Medical Association found opioid prescriptions for Medicare part D recipients dropped 14% after a state legalized medical marijuana – a hopeful sign amid the opioids crisis.

While some doctors have expressed concerns about seniors self-medicating with weed, virtually everyone agrees the public health consequences of opioids are far worse. And the most serious health concerns associated with marijuana, such as impaired brain development, tend to affect younger people.

For the industry, seniors’ newfound interest in cannabis is a business opportunity. The Colorado edibles company Wana Brands, among many others, sells cannabis products reminiscent of medicines familiar to seniors. Wana sells extended release capsules as well as products with different ratios of THC and CBD, which intoxicate users to different degrees and can have a variety of effects on ailments.

For someone who hasn’t seen a joint in 40 years, the modern dispensary can be a dizzying experience replete with dozens of products – topicals (lotions), tinctures, sprays – all promising to help you feel better, but also to get you stoned. Whether or not marijuana helps seniors to alleviate their conditions, many may enjoy a sense of control over their own wellbeing. Meanwhile, dispensaries in California and elsewhere cater to older clientele with discounts and shuttle busses. Dispensary owners like to brag about how many older women come in as evidence that they’re created an attractive and welcoming store.

It hasn’t escaped the pharmaceutical industry that marijuana could soon be seen as a viable replacement for many of its products. Perhaps someday soon it will be normal for seniors to pass their last decades in a cannabis-induced haze.
Well-done thread starter...! Should get many posts...!
From me, a 50+yr user, the legalization of pot has given me a sense of relief, not having to look over my shoulder for cops, to bust me...!
But the use never stopped, whenever I had it, I smoked it...!
I'm a functioning, habituate user! 8-)

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant to add this with my other quote of this... but I think your comment is worthy of a whole separate response that also has the benefit of "bumping" this thread along...

SO... as many possible people who can see it... will.

Your statement is the one and same one liner rhetoric of generic falsehoods that originated from the ole stereotypical racial slur salesmen who held objectives in its illegalization.

Common sense has shown... well to some of us it seems... that each descriptive element of your statement holds a sliver of truth... even if it is a generalization of the these slivers of truths that formed the stigmas and fears that helped keep it downed and illegal... that these proclaimed "results" of frequent Marijuana use are not even remotely true.. even in a general sense.

But don't feel bad... your not alone.... and i don't blame you for being blinded...
For it has always been easier to believe the smaller bad before the greater good.
Note the second intro to this song about his wife.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve always thought the term Stoner was a misnomer, it conjures up a negative reaction from the start.Most all smokers I,ve ever known were working,functioning,tax paying members of society.If you didn,t know they were smokers you,d never suspect. The physical and mental reactions to smoking are not the same as produced by alcohol,if you,ve never smoked,you don,t understand this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread