When you die ‘you know you’re dead because your brain keeps working’, scientist claim

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/science/whe...use-your-brain-keeps-working-scientist-claims

We know we are dead when we die because our brains keep working to make us aware of what's happening around us, haunting new research suggests.

Top medical experts have forever been at loggerheads over what happens when humans die, with anecdotal evidence of bright lights and flashes reported by people who have 'come back' being the cause of much debate.

However, a new study suggests your consciousness carries on functioning after your heart stops beating and your body movements fail.

This means you are essentially 'trapped' inside your dead body with your brain still working, if only for a short time.

Survivors of cardiac arrest were aware of what was going on around them while they were 'dead' before being 'brought back to life', the study revealed.

More surprising still, there is evidence to suggest the deceased may even hear themselves being pronounced dead by doctors.

Dr. Sam Parnia is studying consciousness after death and examining cardiac arrest cases in Europe and the US.

He says people in the first phase of death may still experience some form of consciousness.

The expert ventured that people who have survived cardiac arrest later accurately described what was happening around them after their hearts stopped beating.

He said: "They'll describe watching doctors and nurses working, they'll describe having awareness of full conversations, of visual things that were going on, that would otherwise not be known to them."

Explaining when a patient is officially declared dead, he said: "It's all based on the moment when the heart stops.

"Technically speaking, that's how you get the time of death."

His study is examining what happens to the brain after a person goes into cardiac arrest - and whether consciousness continues after death and for how long - to improve the quality of resuscitation and prevent brain injuries while restarting the heart.

Unlike the plot in Flatliners, however, when a person is resuscitated they don't return with a "magical enhancement" of their memories, said Dr. Parnia.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
well i got a newsflash fer ya. in my fathers case his brain died and his heart kept beating for hours after he passed. i guess he had a good heart persay. so does that mean it wasnt official ? DOH !

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thats kinda creepy

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like many a night where I had too much Rum.

I was aware of what was going on around me... but my brain had died.

:P

Wait...

Did I say "too much Rum" ? ? ?

I don't think I have ever said that before... hmmm

Is there such a thing ? ? ?

:/

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine had a heart attack twenty years ago. He was being worked on when his heart stopped. He heard the EMT saying what happened and that he needed to be shocked. He says he tried to tell them he was still alive and watched the paddles hit him. He said it hurt like hell, but it worked. He's still alive.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a drinking problem I cant get enough. I think my brain died long ago

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a drinking problem I cant get enough. I think my brain died long ago

I have no problem drinking, have a 42 oz Steel Reserve in my lap right now. Hot up here in my room. Think I'll take a taste and put it back in the freezer for half an hour or so. It'll taste much better then....

I'll edit that post, I like beer - always have. I need to get a brew started. When I first retired, one of my first purchases was the set-up to make a fresh batch every three weeks. And a whole lot of that equipment remains unopened = I took retirement seriously I guess.

Thing is, beer brewing is a whole lot of work actually.....

Every single gizmo you use has to be absolutely sterilized.. I had one batch back when I was brewing, watching TV upstairs, and started hearing bottles going off. It was a 5 gallon brew (one case). And apparently I either failed to completely sterilize one of the steps along the way or maybe it was my time to have a bad batch. I'd made a number of batches prior to that - 24 bottles of the best beer I'd ever tasted in cooks prior to that.

A 5 gallon brew is a case of beer. Takes a wee bit more than 6 weeks for the brew. You get this skill down pat, and it's the best you've ever tasted.

However, you gotta expect and experience a brew failure such as mine. Time for me to start do some cleaning and do a brew - I'll enlist my brother, he would be absolutely delighted to drink more than his share :( Whatever, ya know?

But it's awfully danged hot here right now = not conducive for me to get out from in front of the window air conditioner - an antique but it still blows cool air.

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
October, 1994, I overdosed on purpose and went to where it was black. When they found me I was back on my feet. I remember a nurse saying your heart should of burst. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can it last all the way through the primaries? :laughing7:

Chub

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
https://www.foxnews.com/science/whe...use-your-brain-keeps-working-scientist-claims

We know we are dead when we die because our brains keep working to make us aware of what's happening around us, haunting new research suggests.

Top medical experts have forever been at loggerheads over what happens when humans die, with anecdotal evidence of bright lights and flashes reported by people who have 'come back' being the cause of much debate.

However, a new study suggests your consciousness carries on functioning after your heart stops beating and your body movements fail.

This means you are essentially 'trapped' inside your dead body with your brain still working, if only for a short time.

Survivors of cardiac arrest were aware of what was going on around them while they were 'dead' before being 'brought back to life', the study revealed.

More surprising still, there is evidence to suggest the deceased may even hear themselves being pronounced dead by doctors.

Dr. Sam Parnia is studying consciousness after death and examining cardiac arrest cases in Europe and the US.

He says people in the first phase of death may still experience some form of consciousness.

The expert ventured that people who have survived cardiac arrest later accurately described what was happening around them after their hearts stopped beating.

He said: "They'll describe watching doctors and nurses working, they'll describe having awareness of full conversations, of visual things that were going on, that would otherwise not be known to them."

Explaining when a patient is officially declared dead, he said: "It's all based on the moment when the heart stops.

"Technically speaking, that's how you get the time of death."

His study is examining what happens to the brain after a person goes into cardiac arrest - and whether consciousness continues after death and for how long - to improve the quality of resuscitation and prevent brain injuries while restarting the heart.

Unlike the plot in Flatliners, however, when a person is resuscitated they don't return with a "magical enhancement" of their memories, said Dr. Parnia.
Flat-lining (NO brain-wave) is Key, NOT the heart.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And then there are a few political candidates.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats exactly what I tell people when they ask me why I havn't been married.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you see with Your eyes Closed.
Unless the person dies with their Eyes Open & No one closes them, & they Can move them around or it's within their Peripheral Vision .....
Sorry ! .... I'm calling BS

More like a Dream because they were not really Dead. after all they were believed to have been Brought back

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I see nothing, though I do have 6 very serious beers in my gullet. Right now, life is good......

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
How can you see with Your eyes Closed.
Unless the person dies with their Eyes Open & No one closes them, & they Can move them around or it's within their Peripheral Vision .....
Sorry ! .... I'm calling BS

More like a Dream because they were not really Dead. after all they were believed to have been Brought back
BS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread