Metal Detecting
If you were born in China you would be eating what is common there

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe so, but my point was that not all cultures are equal.

Some cultures eat bats and some cultures eat squirrel brains, but eating either can be fatal. Eatting squirrel brain was popular in south central USA, particularly in the Ozarks. But eating squirrel brains was linked to spongiform encephalopathy which is 100% fatal and a horrible way to go I am sure. Fortunately the Ozarks changed their culture. I suspect the Chinese will change their culture of eating bats as well. But they might not, and I'm sure somebody in the Ozarks is still eating Ozark Oysters dispite the risk.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on things are not black and white.

I think as someone said here earlier, with high density populations and cheap and widely available world travel...we are just begging for an epidemic of serious proportions. Nobody can argue that.

I do think large commercial farms are not helping things. You see the chicken farms?...does that look healthy to you?
Especially antibiotic free farms.

Let’s watch and share information without getting into the stupid $hit? Please.

I see people trading blows that probably would get along otherwise in the real world...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe so, but my point was that not all cultures are equal.

Some cultures eat bats and some cultures eat squirrel brains, but eating either can be fatal. Eatting squirrel brain was popular in south central USA, particularly in the Ozarks. But eating squirrel brains was linked to spongiform encephalopathy which is 100% fatal and a horrible way to go I am sure. Fortunately the Ozarks changed their culture. I suspect the Chinese will change their culture of eating bats as well. But they might not, and I'm sure somebody in the Ozarks is still eating Ozark Oysters dispite the risk.

Not only is the habit of eating some wildlife & parts dangerous, there is a serious toll on the populations of wild animals in China. And their superstitions for eating/using wildlife parts are ridiculous - usually sexual potency beliefs.

At one time, the commercial market for snapping turtles was small in the US and the species was not in danger from the limited domestic demand. But after China destroyed their turtle populations, they turned their insatiable demand to the US. Now, most states have to manage snapping turtles to prevent them from being overfished. Still, there are many containers of live snapping turtles being shipped to China. They are also using them as brood stock in new Chinese turtle farms to try to meet their demand.

I expect that when they wipe out their native bats, they will turn to the US and smuggle our bats - which are in trouble from white-nose syndrome, back to China.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Imaudigger says, I'm watching this. I actually bought four boxes of masks online today. That's not a panic move, but one may want to wear one out in public. And I noticed some sellers are out of stock already. 5% fatality. Bad news. Hopefully it will mutate out of being lethal.

Masks can be a reasonable precaution, and can be used for other epidemics as well, provided the mesh size is small enough and one gets a good seal. A good seal is probably not possible for those with beards. I've read that the manufacturers are ramping up their manufacturing in an effort to meet demand. Respirators would be a good alternative (even better than masks) if someone wants masks and can't get them.

The masked folks I've seen recently did not have good seals, so the protection was probably pretty minimal.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if a N95 mask would be as effective as a medical mask? Probably not or the doctors would be using them.

I used to wear dust masks and some times a respirator for work. I can attest that a beard, stubble even, will certainly affect the effectiveness. When I did not shave that mask would get a dark smear on the inside edges instead of getting darker on the outside like it is supposed to do.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if a N95 mask would be as effective as a medical mask? Probably not or the doctors would be using them.

I used to wear dust masks and some times a respirator for work. I can attest that a beard, stubble even, will certainly affect the effectiveness. When I did not shave that mask would get a dark smear on the inside edges instead of getting darker on the outside like it is supposed to do.

I could be wrong but I think the N95 is more for use for particulates like dust, drywall, and wood, maybe some pollen(?). I've used it for drywall dust and I see neighbors mowing in dusty conditions using it.

When i used a drywall mask, I just removed it carelessly. But a medical mask has to be removed by holding the rubber straps only and not touching the mesh itself - which might be contaminated.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megladon, yeah a particulate mask. I had to look it up. The tightest one we ever used at work was the N98, but they go all the way up to N99.

This is interesting- https://www.guidingtech.com/62349/whats-difference-n95-n99-p95-air-masks/

The link claims that the surgical mask keeps the germs in the sick person, not the other way 'round. I will check other sources but it seems the reason doctors wear masks is to protect the patient and not for the doctor's protection.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megladon, yeah a particulate mask. I had to look it up. The tightest one we ever used at work was the N98, but they go all the way up to N99.

This is interesting- https://www.guidingtech.com/62349/whats-difference-n95-n99-p95-air-masks/

The link claims that the surgical mask keeps the germs in the sick person, not the other way 'round. I will check other sources but it seems the reason doctors wear masks is to protect the patient and not for the doctor's protection.

With a beard, I can't get a seal on any of them. Not wearing a mask resulted in getting pretty sick once from silica dust. I helped a commercial fisherman clean his nets which were encrusted by diatoms. It took all day to pressure wash the dried out nets. Diatoms have silica shells and we both inhaled a lot of the dust and suffered from silicosis for a while. I coughed for months.

Interesting link - makes sense.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are not trading blows IMAUDIGGER, We are having a discussion.

When people can no longer have discussions, or are incapable of having discussions, then they trade blows.
In my real world, calling someone racist is a blow.

It’s an attack on their character. At least that’s how I would take it in a regular conversation. The tone of the conversation would change.

If it wasn’t received that way..I’m probably poking my nose.

I was looking forward to some discussion on the issue at hand, not people’s breath by nationality, or the topic of eating rodents.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose that calling someone "bigoted" is more an attack on someone's principles rather than their race. If you read Webster's "bigot" has religious connotations not racial connantations. But I tend to read what people write and don't always understand what they really mean, so I do now understand your perspective now that you have explained it to me.

Besides, I been called a racist so many times for so many different reason other than for being a racist that such weak minded attacks have no effect on me. You know how come I don't get offended? Because I know I'm not a racist. "Like water off a duck's back!" :laughing7:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are only 5 to 7 labs in all of China equipped to study this type of novel virus.

Why do I have to search deeper to even hear mention of this upon the US media?

No it was an exotic meat market...

If a novel virus started within 20 miles of a military bioengineering lab in the Nevada desert and 60 million people were quarantined...do you think they would mention it? It’s in our face and we don’t see it.

Novel virus meaning...something new that we have never experienced in modern history, unknown to scientists.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do I have to search deeper to even hear mention of this upon the US media?

Probably the same reason the newspapers don't tell us about how people are eating zoo animals in Venezuela, same reason most people don't know that Stalin starved about as many people to death in the Ukraine as Hitler gassed and cooked .- they just don't want anyone thinking about the "Why?".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread