Well, what do you know? Smokers have less chance of catching coronavirus...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...less-likely-to-be-hospitalised-with-covid-19/

James Delingpole 2 Apr 2020

Smoking may reduce the likelihood of being hospitalised with coronavirus, claims a study.

Here is the abstract of the study – Smoking, vaping and hospitalization for COVID-19 – by researchers at the University of West Attica in Greece and New York University.

The study presents an analysis of the current smoking prevalence among hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in China, compared to the population smoking prevalence in China (52.1% in males and 2.7% in females). Through a systematic research of the literature (PubMed) we identified 7 studies examining the clinical characteristics of a total of 2352 hospitalized COVID-19 patients that presented data on the smoking status.

The expected number of smokers was calculated using the formula Expected smokers = (males x 0.521) + (females x 0.027). An unusually low prevalence of current smoking was observed among hospitalized COVID-19 patients (8.7%, 95%CI: 7.6-9.9%) compared to the expected prevalence based on smoking prevalence in China (30.3%, 95%CI: 28.4-32.1%; z-statistic: 22.80, P < 0.0001). This preliminary analysis does not support the argument that current smoking is a risk factor for hospitalization for COVID-19, and might even suggest a protective role.

The latter could be linked to the down-regulation of ACE2 expression that has been previously known to be induced by smoking. However, other confounding factors need to be considered and the accuracy of the recorded smoking status needs to be determined before making any firm conclusions. As a result, the generalized advice on quitting smoking as a measure to improve health risk remains valid, but no recommendation can currently be made concerning the effects of smoking on the risk of hospitalization for COVID-19.

No studies recording e-cigarette use status among hospitalized COVID-19 patients were identified. Thus, no recommendation can be made for e-cigarette users.

It makes intuitive sense that smoking ought to exacerbate a respiratory infection such as coronavirus. Indeed, earlier reports in the mainstream media reflected this view when very little was known about coronavirus, pointing out the obvious — that smoking damages your lungs and so do respiratory diseases.

A recent study also reflects this conventional wisdom. Published in the journal of the International Society for the Prevention of Tobacco Induced Diseases, the March COVID-19 and smoking paper states:

…although further research is warranted as the weight of the evidence increases, with the limited available data, and although the above results are unadjusted for other factors that may impact disease progression, smoking is most likely associated with the negative progression and adverse outcomes of COVID-19.

But the authors of the West Attica/NYU study cautiously advance a theory as to why this might not be the case:

Smoking increases susceptibility to respiratory infections and media reports suggest that it may increase the risk of being infected with acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus responsible for COVID-19. SARS-CoV-2 is known to use the angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) as a receptor for cell entry, and there is evidence that smoking down-regulates ACE2 expression in the lung and other tissues.

Their findings, though surprising, appear to be supported by the latest statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). These too show that – contrary to expectations – relatively few smokers and ex-smokers have been hospitalised with COVID-19.

The CDC apparently isn’t eager to play up the significance of smoking in patient survival outcomes. Nevertheless, it acknowledges in this throwaway comment:

Finally, for some underlying health conditions and risk factors, including neurologic disorders, chronic liver disease, being a current smoker, and pregnancy, few severe outcomes were reported; therefore, conclusions cannot be drawn about the risk for severe COVID-19 among persons in these groups.

Neither the authors of the Smoking, vaping and hospitalization for COVID-19 study nor the CDC are advocating taking up smoking in order to ward off coronavirus. Also, they caveat their findings by noting that this is preliminary data which may be based on incomplete information.

Other studies

Further, the study authors note that smokers are more likely than non-smokers to ‘suffer comorbidities, such as cardiovascular disease, which are risk factors for adverse COVID-19 outcomes.’

They conclude:

Considering the above-mentioned uncertainties, the generalized advice on quitting smoking as a measure to improve health risk remains valid but no recommendation can be currently made concerning the effects of smoking on the risk of hospitalization for COVID-19.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always Felt that way about all bugs.
That Nicotine may Kill them.

Of course Don't expect the "Holier then Thou" to admit that

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd guess it would be harder on chronic smokers if they did get a bad case.
Oxygen is not being transferred as efficient pre illness as it could be. Then to reduce it through extreme cases that end up needing a ventilator....

I'm conscious of touching the cigg. filter and putting it to my mouth. Don't want virus on my hands prior. (!) Or on the cigg . either.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
So the article didn’t actually identify what is actually going on. Is nicotine the inhibitor, or is the bleach used to make the paper white, somehow (even after smoked) possibly the inhibitor?

Just wondering out loud

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the article didn’t actually identify what is actually going on. Is nicotine the inhibitor, or is the bleach used to make the paper white, somehow (even after smoked) possibly the inhibitor?

Just wondering out loud

Well I have started smoking 4 packs a day just in case.

In a box... with no windows.

So far I think its working.

:P

Last edited:

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People who smoke are skilled at clearing theyre lungs of flem. When a healthy person gets lung congestion. They wheeze and can not easily clear the mucus. They may also panic if theyve never experienced asma like conditions and then they may go to a hospital where they will probably get sicker...

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tobacco is a natural item which was entrusted to the Native Americans who recognized it's divine origins, and used it ceremoniously with respect for it's power. Then came the White Man, hey dude this stuff is great, lets load up a boat and take it back home...

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People who smoke are already used to subsisting with less oxygen in the system.
People who smoke already periodicaly have coughing sicknesses and wouldnt notice mild corona.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bah... whenever Corona makes me cough... its because of the lime they stuffed in the damn neck of the bottle.

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will be a thing of the past. I think they are changing the Corona brand of beer because of the name.

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Heard that in some tribal comunities. The individuals who smoke or use tobacco are less prone to stomach parasites.., perhaps the reason the human body and brain finds nicotine attractive. And craves it. Is because the body knows it has beneficial properties.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
People who smoke are skilled at clearing theyre lungs of flem. When a healthy person gets lung congestion. They wheeze and can not easily clear the mucus. They may also panic if theyve never experienced asma like conditions and then they may go to a hospital where they will probably get sicker...

Joecoins,
I laughed when I read this, but you probably on track.
Thought to myself . . . I got flem skills. :headbang:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I Heard that in some tribal comunities. The individuals who smoke or use tobacco are less prone to stomach parasites.., perhaps the reason the human body and brain finds nicotine attractive. And craves it. Is because the body knows it has beneficial properties.

I heard that dogs that eat tobacco, don’t get worms. :dontknow:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure would have been nice if the study included info on vaping, or cigars.
It would have possibly ruled out, or not, if the bleach in cigarette papers is a factor or not.

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think people natural reaction to sickness is the biggest factor. Some people just let the mucus sit in theyre lungs. . some people cough and swallow the mucus yuck. Cause they think its rude to spit.
I never take pills for headaches or sickness.
If i come down with something i usualy sweat it out. Get a realy good buzz from beign sick and then im good. The body i think has its natural processes of dealing with a sickness. If its not dampened by pills, medications or otherwise.. Of course im no doctor

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When this crap started I thought my enjoyment of "rich & mellow" Camel Turkish Royals would be the 1 chink in my armor, but I came across the various reports suggesting the role of nicotine in downregulating ACE2 expression which started coming out and couldn't believe what strange good fortune it was to be able to point to the cancer sticks as actually being good for something for once!

Still a dumbazz habit, I'm cutting down and get plenty of exercise, but it's about time us evil dirty stinky smokers catch a break amirite? :laughing7:

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the study to many moons ago. Since then my work place instituted mandatory masks, social distancing and retributions for failing to meet their standards. So we've always had the smoke pits, aka smoking area's, and come break time there are no masks, no distancing and to date no known cases of the virus among our groups. Funny. Whats funnier is back when the rules started coming out, then the read and sign documents, I asked a couple of times to management about the smoke pits~ the response was that We Were Immune and it was left at that. Now this did not recruit any new smokers :) but we've had more than a few ex-smokers and non-smokers show up in the pits. So draw ones own conclusion. Hahh!

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of Spain has banned outdoor smoking..., ?
Will more second hand smoke inside buildings keep people safer?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a retired Respiratory Tech, whose wife still works as an RN, BSN, if you are a smoker, vape person, and have NO underlying conditions and are under 40, then great. But God help you if you have ANY problems (including being fat), are over 40, and still smoke - because you're screwed.:occasion14:

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is smoking the final nail in the coffin for an unhealthy over 40? Only thing i could figure is going through cigarette withdrawl while beign sick must be terrible. But perhaps a nicotine patch could help..in the ancient past people didnt often live past 40. So i geus smoking deaths of cancer or lung disease wouldnt have been noticed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions