Status of TreasureNet.com

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; I agree that this is a great site. I know that I have posted here quite a few times but then my Posts died off. Reason is that my computer was stolen and then I wound up back in the hospital again. I have a broken back and neck. I've been paralyzed several times from my chest down and that is why I ould not Post any pictures of my Finds because you don't have access to a camera in the hospital. I want tyo say that it is this site and other that have helped me keep my chin up and up to date with our great hobby/profession. I sorely missed it when my computer was stolen but the good news here is that I'm back home now and I can stand up as well. I want to thank you guys for making this site available for guys in my condition. See that, your Forum has now played Doctor. !!! ::) :laughing9: Treasure Hunting now has a Medical Use.!!! ;D
Thanks again. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:ical Use. !!!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman said:
Welcome as new owners. I don't post any pictures because I don't give up my copyrights to them as they could be used in my manuscript for my books and any articles I write. The rules state you own all published posts, etc. which we could use in other publications.
I realize all pictures are copyrighted by TN and I thought it meant other pics are copyrighted. I didnt realize we give up our own rights to our own pictures. Tell me this isnt true.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
LM said:
bazinga said:
And for the new owners, please go look at findmall.com if you want to see a site that is an example of what you should strive not to become. Open detector discussion is no longer allowed on that site.

That is true.
I posted a conversation I had with a detector manufacturer that wasn't 'bad', but wasn't the typical irrational "brand loyalty" praise a lot of people engage in. There were some criquties and concerns, albeit mild and very diplomatically expressed.
They deleted them ;D

All forums incline generally towards openness or moderation.
Too much one way or the other and the place can become intolerable.
Findmall.com is bad I agree. They love brown noses. I was called a liar by a dealer when I told my true experiences with a new detector I purchased. TN has always been a place to post the truth.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Sandman said:
Welcome as new owners. I don't post any pictures because I don't give up my copyrights to them as they could be used in my manuscript for my books and any articles I write. The rules state you own all published posts, etc. which we could use in other publications.
I realize all pictures are copyrighted by TN but I didnt realize we give up our own rights to our own pictures. Tell me this isnt true.

"By posting your information at TreasureNet, you grant TreasureNet full publishing and redistribution rights to it. Please do not post copyrighted materials, unless you are the author."

"Information you post WILL NOT be considered copyrighted or otherwise protected from use by anyone else"

This has come once or twice in the past that I'm aware of. As I recall it was made clear that Marc's intent was that material posted could be used by TreasureNet for promotional purposes etc without fear of facing Copyright infringement charges by the O.P. This was not to suggest that there would be a transference or surrendering of Copyright by the O.P.

Further, it is to state that there has not been the responsibility to help protect the Owner's Copyright should the material be lifted and posted elsewhere. That is not to say that assistance wouldn't be given to a point, rather, it is not to be an expectation.

That said, as we move forward we may see clarifications and/or re-writes of Terms by the new owners regarding things that Members have questions about.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
DigginThePast said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Sandman said:
I realize all pictures are copyrighted by TN but I didnt realize we give up our own rights to our own pictures. Tell me this isnt true.

"By posting your information at TreasureNet, you grant TreasureNet full publishing and redistribution rights to it. Please do not post copyrighted materials, unless you are the author."

"Information you post WILL NOT be considered copyrighted or otherwise protected from use by anyone else"

This has come once or twice in the past that I'm aware of. As I recall it was made clear that Marc's intent was that material posted could be used by TreasureNet for promotional purposes etc without fear of facing Copyright infringement charges by the O.P. This was not to suggest that there would be a transference or surrendering of Copyright by the O.P.

Further, it is to state that there has not been the responsibility to help protect the Owner's Copyright should the material be lifted and posted elsewhere. That is not to say that assistance wouldn't be given to a point, rather, it is not to be an expectation.

That said, as we move forward we may see clarifications and/or re-writes of Terms by the new owners regarding things that Members have questions about.
Thanks for the clarification. I didnt think we surrendered our rights to our own pictures.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That text about becoming the property of Tnet kinda' worried me because I like to write little short stories based on some facts as well as interjecting some parts that I make up. Mainly because I have been slowly writing a book of short stories I hope my kids might publish after I am gone. I put my very first one on Tnet due to the urging of several of the members , but I realized it was posted before the rule was adopted, and my attorney said I am ok on it. I have another request for a story from a friend here on Tnet that I have been working on but I will not put it on Tnet, rather have it copywrited and just send him a copy instead. I was kinda' offended when that rule was put into effect 'cause to me it whispers of a little greed from the former owner. but I have since come to think of it as protection for the owner of Tnet, and just don't put anything on that I wouldn't want published. Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although My comment here is only My "Guess"

I think the reason for this, is in case someone
gets Mad & Insists their posts be removed,
or pay them. They have no case.

I don't think your turning over all rights.
or even need TNets permission to use your own
pics or stories.

Again Just my take.

But I'v seen photos & stories from here
posted in Magazines & It wasn't TNets
doing

redtruck

Greenie
Jan 5, 2012
texas
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for allowing the comments. I am enjoying the site so far have learned a lot. I will see you out and arround Austin I am sure . Lake Traves is fun but muddy right now. Happy hunting

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I'v seen photos & stories from here
posted in Magazines & It wasn't TNets
doing

That's for sure. I have 3 photos "floating" around, and they were never posted on Tnet - two were in an email I sent to a friend - I'm not sure how the
other one could have gotten into the "public" domain, but it did.

Beth

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Monty said:
Spell check is gone? Oh Lordy, all is lost! Heck, I can go back and check my own spelling, but it never fails that I go back a few days later and find an error I missed. Not being perfect really sucks don't it? M :dontknow: nty

That is because your Brain has it's own Spell Correction Feature.

I'm sure you saw the threads where complete pargraphs are
misplled yet you can read 7hem anyway :wink:

Unless you just woke up & havn't Lubed your brain yet.
then the wheels jam on the misspelling.

In other words, if you can speed read, spelling isn't important.
If your Slow, Drunk, sleepy or learning english
spelling is very important.

No, spelling is important always. We all make mistakes, all, but it does get a little sad when you see the title posting misspelled.
This is from someone who barely scrapped by in English all through my Public School "teachings?"
How much more time does it take to double check your posts?
Thank God for spell-check!
Carl

Yeah, I know I'm setting myself up for future mishaps.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the "old school" I went to emphasized correct spelling - but, I admit, that, while many of my mistakes are typing errors, I hate to see it.

I guess its a personal crusade that started when I was the spell-checker for the college newspaper - and it continued when I starting seeing terrible spelling mistakes running by on the television news stations - the "professionals", that, I assume HAVE a spell check program. :laughing7: :coffee2:

Beth

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome John and Doug. I belong to at least 5 other forums and have to say that TreasureNet is by far #1 without question. Also a special thanks to Mark for all his time and had work, and may he have a wonderful future.
HH all.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
jeff of pa said:
Monty said:
Spell check is gone? Oh Lordy, all is lost! Heck, I can go back and check my own spelling, but it never fails that I go back a few days later and find an error I missed. Not being perfect really sucks don't it? M :dontknow: nty

That is because your Brain has it's own Spell Correction Feature.

I'm sure you saw the threads where complete pargraphs are
misplled yet you can read 7hem anyway :wink:

Unless you just woke up & havn't Lubed your brain yet.
then the wheels jam on the misspelling.

In other words, if you can speed read, spelling isn't important.
If your Slow, Drunk, sleepy or learning english
spelling is very important.

No, spelling is important always. We all make mistakes, all, but it does get a little sad when you see the title posting misspelled.
This is from someone who barely scrapped by in English all through my Public School "teachings?"
How much more time does it take to double check your posts?
Thank God for spell-check!
Carl

Yeah, I know I'm setting myself up for future mishaps.
Who barely "Scraped" by

M

mikusek

Members can always watermark their photos before posting. That discourages photo hi-jackers who might otherwise use the photos for their own publications, etc.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I go away for a few days and all heck brakes out I finley get a new p.c. so I can finley watch all the grate vid's on here and there is a new regeim . But it sounds like it was a peaceful coupe I don't know what I would do with out T.Net

Jonnie

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I hate to complain because Im apparently no longer a Charter Member but my PMs are slow as molassas. (spel chck) I donated my time to help members on the WII forum for over 6 years and 20,000 posts but it seems many old members are no longer posting or are no longer here. :dontknow:

Im sure there will be a little transitional period and some of us need to get over the shock, even though we knew it was coming some day.. I already noticed some improvements. I wish you the best and I hope you can keep TN on top. Its the members that are most important IMO esp the old regulars. Of course attracting new members are the future... I can only speak for the WII forum I frequent but boy we had a great team because we attracted the best..

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome John and Scott,
Glad to hear that things are only going to get better. This is a great site, specially for new people or people learning new detectors. People here are very helpful, with some being very talented in specific detectors. Its a great place to come to.
Marty

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I hate to complain because Im apparently no longer a Charter Member but my PMs are slow as molassas. (spel chck) I donated my time to help members on the WII forum for over 6 years and 20,000 posts but it seems many old members are no longer posting or are no longer here. :dontknow:

Im sure there will be a little transitional period and some of us need to get over the shock, even though we knew it was coming some day.. I already noticed some improvements. I wish you the best and I hope you can keep TN on top. Its the members that are most important IMO esp the old regulars. Of course attracting new members are the future... I can only speak for the WII forum I frequent but boy we had a great team because we attracted the best..

Do you know if your membership has expired? It system is automated and should updated accordingly.

The site overall loads really fast for me and is on a new and very beefy server. I would be strange for just PM's themselves to be slow.

We're working hard on making sure this remains the best forum on the web and we will continue to roll out new updates, features and keep up with the times :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread