JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the TreasureNet.com Community,

My name is John Gonzalez and I wanted to make an announcement and confirm that the site has been sold. Let me assure you that we absolutely love this site. I watch the daily finds forum religiously. The banner finds here have so much history and amaze me every time I think about how awesome it is that members on this site are out there finding treasure and we get to hear about it and read about it. I'm amazed every time I see someone write up an awesome how-to post for tweaking your settings on a metal detector, to panning, etc. We have no intention of doing away with all the things that make this site awesome. It's the community, you guys, that make it what it is.

We do have plans to upgrade the site though. When we first took ownership and moved the site to our brand new ultra beefy server we did notice that there were a few database queries that were not optimized. We've optimized this software as much as we can and I believe the site is now running faster then it ever has before. I still notice some slowdowns though, mostly related to some flash apps running on the site causing my CPU to load up. We are going to try to remove those moving forward as well. We also believe that switching the forum software to vBulletin which is a software we are familiar with will help us grow long-term.

We are in the process of that conversion right now. But we did not want anyone to lose any functionality with the site... so we are taking the conversion process slow and making sure that all the custom coded scripts, features, etc. get moved over. There will be a bit of growing pains as there always is with any type of change but I feel confident that within a few weeks of the conversion the community will like the newer software better.

There has also been a recent issue with Charter Memberships not being assigned. We are working on that as well. Everyone who paid should now have their membership levels. If you do not, PLEASE send me a PM and I'll take care of it right away. The current system is NOT fully automated so someone has to manually bump you up. This leads to delays. The newer system will fully automate this.

Please feel free to ask any questions you want in this thread and I'll be happy to address them. We have a team of members on the site and they will chime in as well and any one of us should be able to help out.

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone :wave:

My name is Doug and I will also be here to help anyone with any needs you might have around the site :)

Being raised in NM and for a short time in KS, I grew up hunting arrowheads, antique shopping and garage saling. Hunting artifacts and learning history are some of my other pastimes that I find very interesting. I'm really excited to be apart of this great community and I look forward to learning from all the helpful members and info on the site ;D

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, welcome y'all. I like the site and learn tons of info from it. We stay frozen up and snowed in about 9 months out of the year up here, so I can treasure hunt vicariously here. And you're right, the banner finds are just that, 'banner finds'. They inspire me to get out there and find...more square nails!?!? Good luck, y'all!

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Well, welcome y'all. I like the site and learn tons of info from it. We stay frozen up and snowed in about 9 months out of the year up here, so I can treasure hunt vicariously here. And you're right, the banner finds are just that, 'banner finds'. They inspire me to get out there and find...more square nails!?!? Good luck, y'all!

You could get square nails for a decade until one day you find that amazing banner find and it would make it all worth it! I'm sure that's why you keep doing it as well. It only takes that one real winner to make it all worth while.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and Welcome will you guys be posting finds also. If your going to be part of the family you need to learn to share. lol

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on upgrading the software guys.

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome with the switch might be the user base being set in their ways and not wanting to change. I hope it works out without too many angry people. :) I know I'll have no problem with it, but I'm also used to many different forums and forum software. Good luck with the headaches that come with switching forum software. Will the previous posts be lost or will it all convert over to vbulletin?

And keep an eye on posters like me. We are trouble, haha. Just ask any poster.

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:
Hello and Welcome will you guys be posting finds also. If your going to be part of the family you need to learn to share. lol

I am hoping that I can learn enough on the site to get good with a metal detector and post finds of my own :) Lake Travis is super low right now and I'd love to go over it with a detector near the dock areas.

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
Good luck on upgrading the software guys.

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome with the switch might be the user base being set in their ways and not wanting to change. I hope it works out without too many angry people. :) I know I'll have no problem with it, but I'm also used to many different forums and forum software. Good luck with the headaches that come with switching forum software. Will the previous posts be lost or will it all convert over to vbulletin?

And keep an eye on posters like me. We are trouble, haha. Just ask any poster.

The normal converter would get the posts and PM's and such but not much else. We are working on modifying the importer to try and get everything and that's why it's taking so long. We've done a lot of conversions in the past so we have some experience. It won't be 100% right off the bat but we'll keep working at it until it's a close to perfect as it can be. Thanks!

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pinebarrens1 said:
good luck . you got big boots to fill

I guess I need to learn how to use Multiquote on this software ;)

No one can fill Marc's boots but we'll do the best job we can!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site John and Doug!! Look around Cedar Park while you are looking. I heard there was a town under Travis? And some huge catfish.

By the way, go to the new member intros and say hi!
Are we going to get to keep our Mods? We are kinda used to their idiosyncrasies by now! :tongue3:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Red here, welcome to THE best site online about treasure! Thank you for taking care of our issue with our problem, it's good to know that it will go quickly through now, as we like to surprise random people with memberships, just because. We have lost count of how many we have done, and want to keep doing it! ;D
I have a small request, please bring back spell check, there are alot of people here who need it for one reason or another! :wink:
I just got my first machine yesterday, so now Chug isn't the only one to find stuff and dig, I get to now!!!!! Our first hunt will be at the beach, so I can learn how to dig holes properly, and how to swing my machine while using my cane for balance, wish me luck! :laughing7: Oh, and I think Chug likes mine better than his, mine tells me how deep the target is, and he can hear 2 different tones!!! Oh, did I forget to mention he is hearing impaired, and is also tone deaf!
Anyway, again, welcome, we hope to see frequent posts on what you find!!!!! Red

Ps, thanks for letting us know about the sale, it's nice to know now what was rumored before, and explains the problems going on! :wink:

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44 said:
Welcome to the site John and Doug!! Look around Cedar Park while you are looking. I heard there was a town under Travis? And some huge catfish.

Are we going to get to keep our Mods? We are kinda used to their idiosyncrasies by now! :tongue3:

I will work on a new member post here in a bit, still working on some back end stuff here for the site :)

Definitely some big Catfish in Travis and a great local fishing community that's 99% catch and release which keeps it fun for everyone.

We hope that every mod will stick around... anyone who wants to stay we'll have em!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

Are the Mod's still all the same :P
Before Christmas I spoke to Gary Brun, webmaster for The UK Finds Data Base, he said he was willing to clone his site for Treasure Net, so that you could have your own data base of finds, for the US.

SS

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug And Red said:
Hi Red here, welcome to THE best site online about treasure! Thank you for taking care of our issue with our problem, it's good to know that it will go quickly through now, as we like to surprise random people with memberships, just because. We have lost count of how many we have done, and want to keep doing it! ;D
I have a small request, please bring back spell check, there are alot of people here who need it for one reason or another! :wink:
I just got my first machine yesterday, so now Chug isn't the only one to find stuff and dig, I get to now!!!!! Our first hunt will be at the beach, so I can learn how to dig holes properly, and how to swing my machine while using my cane for balance, wish me luck! :laughing7: Oh, and I think Chug likes mine better than his, mine tells me how deep the target is, and he can hear 2 different tones!!! Oh, did I forget to mention he is hearing impaired, and is also tone deaf!
Anyway, again, welcome, we hope to see frequent posts on what you find!!!!! Red

Ps, thanks for letting us know about the sale, it's nice to know now what was rumored before, and explains the problems going on! :wink:

We haven't removed spell check so can you let me know how it worked before? May be something that broke during the move that we are unaware of.

Sounds like you are going to have a blast finding stuff with Chug and it's nice to see a couple work so closely together in a great hobby! :hello2:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44 said:

Too hard to get rid of us Dave. :laughing9: Besides, for me, I never log out. :evil7:

:laughing7:

Actually, I wanted to chime in and add that the same old names are here if y'all run into any problems. :icon_thumright: :headbang:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohnDroid said:
Dave44 said:

I will work on a new member post here in a bit, still working on some back end stuff here for the site :)

Definitely some big Catfish in Travis and a great local fishing community that's 99% catch and release which keeps it fun for everyone.

We hope that every mod will stick around... anyone who wants to stay we'll have em!

I just had a thought,,, bet there are some finds around Hippy Hollow! No pockets you know. But I went there once and found out it is a lot scarier place in person! Not my cup of tea. loloololol :tard:

OP
OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:icon_scratch:

Are the Mod's still all the same :P
Before Christmas I spoke to Gary Brun, webmaster for The UK Finds Data Base, he said he was willing to clone his site for Treasure Net, so that you could have your own data base of finds, for the US.

SS

All still the same :) Though we have added a couple of people here from the shop.

That would be awesome. If you could PM me his contact information I'd be happy to contact him and see if we can work something out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread