ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's why I posted this. A guy creeped me out. I had been searching an area that had a lot of Ais indian artifacts, and there was an old foundation just under the water. I took a photo of the foundation and posted it...30 minutes later a guy sent me a Google Earth image with an X he had put on the foundation. When I looked into it, it was easy to do, and quite accurate. I quickly found two posts in the "Best finds" section where the hunter had posted a pic of his freshly dug find right as it came out of the ground. I could tell you where his spot was in about 45 seconds. I'm a little more "techie" than most people, but I thought a warning was in order. :-)

D-Tek

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2012
Various places
Detector(s) used
9-Function
Metal Detector
Model 67378
Cost $45 (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting information, thanks for sharing.

Münze Jäger

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good to know.I take it video taken with a phone like that contains the same info.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, videos can contain the same meta header and GPS data. You have to watch the new cameras too, many of them have GPS buit in and turned on from the factory, so it is not just cell phones anymore. I bought a Nkon Coolpix P510 and it has a GPS reciever built in also.

ctitech0019

Nov 17, 2012
southeast pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter qd 2, garret pro pointer !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as a vet myself , disable gps , on phones and enjoy you time hunting, this is for all soldiers ,and all treasure hunters , rock and roll, and live large , ! AND GOD BLESS THE US OF A !

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks all, Beachy....I use bread to catch tilapia. There is a trick to catching the big ones. Put a full piece of sandwich bread with a hook in the center...no weight. Throw it out gently and wait for it to sink. The little tilapia will start hitting the edges pretty quickly, keep waiting. Eventually, if you are lucky a big guy will take the bread and run with it. You will see your line moving very quickly through the water....wait for it. After he runs away from all the other fish, he will inhale the remaining bread allowing you to set the hook. The trick is to wait as long as possible. I usually wait for the line to stop if I have enough slack, and then set the hook. It's an art knowing when to set it, but practice makes purpose, just bring lots of bread. :-) Most days I have to wait until the ducks and turtles are full to really start catching some fish. I have the best luck in slow moving parts of the canals.

Tilapia are literally almost everywhere in the southeast and even in parts of Texas now. You'dbe hard pressed to find a Florida canal without Tilapia in it. They are excellent eating, and since they are an invasive (non-native) species, there is no bag or size limit on them. There is a law that you cannot travel with them alive (to prevent further spreading) so I put them on ice as soon as I catch them, makes them easier to filet too.

Jason

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that if you have a GPS enabled Cell Phone, and you take pics of your new find, the GPS coordinates of your find are available to anyone who can see the picture!!!! There is a header with information called Meta Data at the front of every image file. Phones with GPS include this data in the header, and it can easily be read with Photoshop and a few free tools available online. We should all be VERY CAREFUL when taking pics from GPS enabled cell phones, especially at our secret dig sites! I almost gave away my site that has been giving up Indian bone tools and pre-forms.

Here is a link explaining how to turn GPS tagging off in today's most popular phones.
I Can Stalk U - Raising awareness about inadvertent information sharing

Here's what the U.S. Military recently told it's Soldiers:
"But soldiers who upload photos to Facebook "could broadcast the exact location of their unit," wrote Rodewig, citing Steve Warren, an administrative officer in the intelligence office of the Army's Maneuver Center of Excellence (MCoE). Warren gave Rodewig a chilling example of the consequences of geo-tagging:

When a new fleet of helicopters arrived with an aviation unit at a base in Iraq, some soldiers took pictures on the flightline, he said. From the photos that were uploaded to the Internet, the enemy was able to determine the exact location of the helicopters inside the compound and conduct a mortar attack, destroying four of the AH-64 Apaches."

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...an-kill-405150

Special Thanks to LostCauses for originally bringing this to my attention.

YEP....I heard that a few years ago from a guy on the radio " ALEX JONES " ...now they sell tv's and other stuff with GPS you CANT turn off..good info

There installing smart meters now on the side of your house and that ties into all electronics wireless...they always know what your doing...

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that if you have a GPS enabled Cell Phone, and you take pics of your new find, the GPS coordinates of your find are available to anyone who can see the picture!!!! There is a header with information called Meta Data at the front of every image file. Phones with GPS include this data in the header, and it can easily be read with Photoshop and a few free tools available online. We should all be VERY CAREFUL when taking pics from GPS enabled cell phones, especially at our secret dig sites! I almost gave away my site that has been giving up Indian bone tools and pre-forms.

Here is a link explaining how to turn GPS tagging off in today's most popular phones.
I Can Stalk U - Raising awareness about inadvertent information sharing

Here's what the U.S. Military recently told it's Soldiers:
"But soldiers who upload photos to Facebook "could broadcast the exact location of their unit," wrote Rodewig, citing Steve Warren, an administrative officer in the intelligence office of the Army's Maneuver Center of Excellence (MCoE). Warren gave Rodewig a chilling example of the consequences of geo-tagging:

When a new fleet of helicopters arrived with an aviation unit at a base in Iraq, some soldiers took pictures on the flightline, he said. From the photos that were uploaded to the Internet, the enemy was able to determine the exact location of the helicopters inside the compound and conduct a mortar attack, destroying four of the AH-64 Apaches."

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...an-kill-405150

Special Thanks to LostCauses for originally bringing this to my attention.

Thanks for the Heads up ScubaFinder. I was unaware of this. I have a plain Jane trac Phone, my name is Poorman15 after all. It's great that people like you are willing to pass on things that many of us would be unaware of. That's what true metal detecting sportsmanship is all about. Good for you for passing this along. Thanks

JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely correct on this.
When I got a new Cricket phone for Christmas, one of the options was if I wanted to turn the GPS on. :evil5:(NO FRICKEN WAY). I knew exactly what that meant.... 'they' want to track YOU! Have you seen the tiny micro drones they've come out with? Well, remember the little 'dragonfly' at the beginning of "Men In Black" movie, with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones? That thing is REAL, now. :eek:... with about 10K new applications expected in the next 5 yrs. for commercial production and tons of other 'styles' to be available. CREEPY STUFF!

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stupid Smartphones!:laughing7:

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like having the location services turned on in my Iphone and using it to log the locations of good finds by taking a pic of them. A while back I wanted to post some of the iphone pics to the internet so I found a workaround for the revealing meta data problem. If you have Photoshop, perform the following steps to strip the meta data: Open your image, hit ctrl+a, then ctrl+c, then ctrl+n, choose a new name for your photo, hit enter, then ctrl+V. In the layers menu right click and choose "flatten image". Save your new copy and the meta data will have been stripped. It sounds like a lot of steps but it goes pretty quick when you get used to it. If you dont have photoshop there are some free meta data strippers out there...but I havent tried any yet. Hope this helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread