Banner requirements??

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like it somewhat.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Requirements have not changed. The only change is that it used to be that only Jeff put the banner nominated items up there. Now there are a couple new folks doing it also. So you have seen things going up more often.

Looking at the Banner right now I'm not sure what I'd view as common. If those items are common to you then I'd offer a hearty Congrats on your doing so well. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, Im not seeing any "common" finds there.......... Every one I see there is worthy of being on the banner.....

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a suggestion for BANNER finds: Other than being approved/suggested by whomever was elected to do the job, the item must receive X number of Banner votes from TNet members.

Meaning no disrespect to the most recent BANNER finds, but some are not as rare as those in the past. A BANNER find was a 'once in a lifetime' find; it was based on rariety. Thanks, Breezie

While we don't have any firm criteria, we follow these general guidelines...

• Finds must be significant, and plausible.
  • Finds / posts must be RECENT.
  • Images must be hosted on the TreasureNet server.
  • Posts with great stories are more likely to be selected.
  • If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.
  • It helps if 20 members don't have you on ignore!
  • Finds must look good in the banner.

Everything you see on the banner was nominated for banner. New Adm had added a few up there, but they were based on the amount of nominated reports we received. This is nominated reports, not typing in a reply stating "banner". There can be 15 replies stating "banner find", but if we receive no report, well it won't make it. Also, it don't help one bit if an individual nominates his own find, then gripes in their posts why their find is not banner worthy. The find has to be found by YOU the TNet member, not the spouse/child/neighbor/best friend.

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't seen anything "Common" on the Banner in like....never. Where they all would be finds of the year or even a lifetime!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Requirements have not changed. The only change is that it used to be that only Jeff put the banner nominated items up there. Now there are a couple new folks doing it also. So you have seen things going up more often.

Looking at the Banner right now I'm not sure what I'd view as common. If those items are common to you then I'd offer a hearty Congrats on your doing so well. :thumbsup:
Actually I don't think that's quite right, the banner was determined by voting, or at least that's what Jeff had always advocated.

SS

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I guess after looking at each banner find individually they deserve to be there, the rate of them going up just seems a bit faster. Folks have been getting some great finds.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we don't have any firm criteria, we follow these general guidelines...

• If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.

Everything you see on the banner was nominated for banner. New Adm had added a few up there, but they were based on the amount of nominated reports we received. This is nominated reports, not typing in a reply stating "banner". There can be 15 replies stating "banner find", but if we receive no report, well it won't make it. Also, it don't help one bit if an individual nominates his own find, then gripes in their posts why their find is not banner worthy. The find has to be found by YOU the TNet member, not the spouse/child/neighbor/best friend.
This is also not correct, some banners were almost instant, and could not have got many votes, before it made the banner. How many banner finds has there been since the take over...a lot, it never used to go anywere near as fast as it does now. No disrespect but I can see a common find now on the banner, and not rare.

SS

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as me doing the Banner,
I wait on items earning it by large numbers of reports,
rarity both book wise & to the banner.
and quality of photos, and story added.

FYI as RR said if you nominate your own,
I disqualify it.

"I want the Banner" Dosn't work

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I disqualify it.

So what about the finds on the banner now that are not rare, or are you saying, they have to have one of the critia, or more:dontknow:

SS

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?

I'm saying

I disqualify it.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Top Finders[/h]

15CRUSADER
12Silver Searcher
10{Sentinel}
8Don in SJ
5TheDane

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?

I'm saying
Well out of those three, the Trajan Denarius doesn't have two of them...not Rare(to Treasure Net or Book Value) and there was no story in the post. I don't meen this to be disrespectfull to the poster, but The banner has to be there for a purpose, there are a couple of my banner finds that would not be classed as rare either, but I always try and do a story behind the find. I think the determination for making the banner needs a little bit of adjusting.

SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every find there deserves to be there in my personal opinion......There isnt a find on the banner right now that wouldnt be considered a find of a life time by most members here if they were the one who found it.......

Last edited:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I don't think that's quite right, the banner was determined by voting, or at least that's what Jeff had always advocated.

SS

Yes, you are correct. It was my assumption that folks understood that banner nominations (votes) would have had to come in. I have never seen an instance of anyone placing an item on the Banner based on their own feelings. Votes always have come in prior to an item being added.

The point that I was trying to make is that with some new folks on that are physically adding items to the Banner that they are being added when the votes start coming in, not necessarily when a certain number of votes is hit or what not. This has added an element of inconsistency in the timing of additions and perhaps some may have been added prematurely, however, I feel that the items up there deserve to be.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you are correct. It was my assumption that folks understood that banner nominations (votes) would have had to come in. I have never seen an instance of anyone placing an item on the Banner based on their own feelings. Votes always have come in prior to an item being added.

The point that I was trying to make is that with some new folks on that are physically adding items to the Banner that they are being added when the votes start coming in, not necessarily when a certain number of votes is hit or what not. This has added an element of inconsistency in the timing of additions and perhaps some may have been added prematurely, however, I feel that the items up there deserve to be.

Exactly ! it is never Appropriate to suggest any bannered Item does not deserve to be there.
Including your Own SS :tongue3: yes SS Has told be his own didn't deserve it :laughing7:

Still Not cool imo

unless of course the person scammed us & wants to come clean under the full Knowledge,
banning may follow

OP
OP
Shambler

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees

Oh brother. I see one legitimate reason in those rules to have a find "honored" with something like a banner designation. The rest are moderation requirement that shouldn't be considered (or at least not shared publicly). Those rules cheapened the banner for me even more.

If a picture is poor, ask for another.

If 20 people have me on ignore, I know I'm being an honest member of TNET. Some folks just can't handle truth and honest opinions especially when it's written. Generally, if you disagree, then you're labeled as "negative" and placed on ignore. It actually should be the OTHER WAY, where if you have 20 people on something as silly as "ignore", then you should be dismissed as too sensitive to participate in discussions.

What would a story mean to a PICTURE on the banner? It beeped, I dug, I said "wow" and called my friends over to look! That's all the story it really needs. A great find, is a great find.

Exactly ! it is never Appropriate to suggest any bannered Item does not deserve to be there.

I'd like to ask why?

If the rules were clear, there'd be no reason to make that statement.

Last edited:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those saying all finds up there are deserving, I am going to ask what makes a couple of the finds deserving.

1829 Bust Dime - It's not a particularly valuable coin and it has been scratched to heck. So now $10 coins make the banner? There is even a post in that thread asking how this common coin even made the banner and asked why people were voting for it.

1739 King George - Sure, it's in nice condition. But there is nothing special about this coin either. This is the perfect example of a pretty picture making a common find a banner find. You might as well start putting up nice condition 1852 large cents as well if this coin can make it.

This site has too many people voting banner that have never made great finds, so any time they see anything old they shout out "BANNER!"

Now all of the other finds up there are deserving and should be up there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions