May 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,
My fiancé and I are new metal detector users. We have been searching beaches, parks and woods around our area. We have found some cool items (as well as mostly junk) so far including axe heads, relatively recent coins and old tools. However, we wanted to look at old maps and see what our town and towns around us looked like a long time ago but I'm not sure where to find maps like that. Are there any specific websites that have maps?? Any ideas will be such a help!! Thanks and happy hunting!! :thumbsup:

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ™ once there in the Keyword box, type in your town (or county) and and state. The results will give you many different maps from many different years. When you select the map you want you can select Historic Earth Free Basic at the top of the map and it will overlay it into google maps for you. If you decide to use this and have any questions feel free to ask me and I will try to answer it if I can. HH

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QM: Great site; thanks, Don.....

Thanks Mack, I have found some old school and church sites from the mid 1800's that have been long gone here in Neb. I have also recently found that many of the state of Nebraska county websites under the Assessors page have Zoning and Assessors maps that list the current owners. Great for tracking down the right person to ask to hunt private property!

OP
OP
T
May 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ghost town?! That is awesome! I wish there was some of those in NY! I bet you will find some awesome things!!

Any one have any ideas for me?? We are trying to look for old coins and things of that nature. Any ideas where we should look???

QM:
I used 'your' site to locate a North Dakota ghost town trash site.
Thanks again,
Don........

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehunter216 said:
A ghost town?! That is awesome! I wish there was some of those in NY! I bet you will find some awesome things!!

Any one have any ideas for me?? We are trying to look for old coins and things of that nature. Any ideas where we should look???

Look on those maps for old schools, churches etc that the are no longer there. Go to the local history section at the library and try to find books that may have pics of old lakes or beaches. Maybe an old park that may no longer be there or one that was at one point in time a central location but no longer is central. Think outside the box..any where people may have gathered, old picnic spots things like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions