jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to officially and respectfully propose a new rule be added to the Tnet TOS.

Mods, if you would so kindly send this request to the forum Administrators, it would be much appreciated.

Proposed Rule: No longer allow posts to be made with their sole intention being to mock a particular subject or topic. Basically, ban "trolling".

Reason: It devalues the subject/topic/hobby and incites other members who are attempting to have real and serious discussions about the topic. This type of behavior takes something away from the experience of utilizing Tnet.

I know for a fact that I am not the only forum member who feels this way. If necessary, I can provide others to back me up.
:thumbsup:
Thank you kindly,
Ben

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea Ben. I 2nd that motion. I think one t-net forum I belong to already has that rule and it is strictly enforced.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do realize it is mods and Admins that decide what is a troll thread or post and not members.

Please report some examples so we can see as it is mods jobs to interpret what is valid or violates our rules or terms, this way we can see what your talking about as we already have rules on threads and posts....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea Ben. I 2nd that motion. I think one t-net forum I belong to already has that rule and it is strictly enforced.
Same rules apply to all forums, we may put a sticky in one forum due to constant issue on same rule, but we do not have different rules for different forums.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
TH, read the rule I proposed. How can you enforce a rule that doesn't currently exist?
...and I am not suggesting that any member should take on the role of moderator.

There are certain forum members who openly mock the very topics and hobbies that encompass Treasure Hunting. It was cute for a little while but enough is enough and now there are even more people engaging in this sort of behavior.

(FYI, this has NOTHING to do with politics or the "Everything Else" section.)

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The accepted definition of "trolling" is any internet user behavior that is meant to intentionally anger or frustrate someone in order to provoke a response. From what I have seen, this kind of behavior is kept well under control by the mods (Good job guys!) In my opinion we do not need to tighten things down so much as to it not being fun anymore. A little levity is not necessarily a bad thing. JMO

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do realize it is mods and Admins that decide what is a troll thread or post and not members.

Please report some examples so we can see as it is mods jobs to interpret what is valid or violates our rules or terms, this way we can see what your talking about as we already have rules on threads and posts....

Exactly... this is a forum with a diverse bunch of people. Just because a couple of people don't like a post doesn't mean the other 40,000 members don't.. This is a big pond.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wit, if you are as annoyed as the rest of us regarding the behavior displayed in that thread, then why not back me up?

I am not asking for a band-aid. I am asking for a real and permanent solution to this problem.

There are NOW at least 4 people who consistently post in "character" and do nothing more than mock the Coin Roll Hunting section. I know for a FACT that this kind of behavior was not tolerated when it was being done in "Today's Finds". http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/non-sense/328508-minelab-se-sale-400-obo.html

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wit, if you are as annoyed as the rest of us regarding the behavior displayed in that thread, then why not back me up?

I am not asking for a band-aid. I am asking for a real and permanent solution to this problem.

There are NOW at least 4 people who consistently post in "character" and do nothing more than mock the Coin Roll Hunting section. I know for a FACT that this kind of behavior was not tolerated when it was being done in "Today's Finds". http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/non-sense/328508-minelab-se-sale-400-obo.html

I'm a moderator on an MMA [mixed martial arts] forum and have been for the past 7 years. There are multiple off-topic sections of the forum where quite frankly you can post absolutely anything except under age kids so it can pretty much feel like the wild, wild west of forums at times [even though there are much worse forums out there]. Trolling and flame wars are encouraged because it's entertaining and keeps the forum moving along. However, not less than 5 minutes before I came here and read your thread, I stepped in and told a couple of posters to quit trolling and flaming in the on-topic parts of the forum and I did so because I am a Moderator and that was my decision to make.

Perhaps there is some trolling going on here but the way I see it is you have 2 choices on how to handle it since flaming isn't tolerated. A) Ignore it like I do, B) Report it to a Moderator. You have no idea how annoying it is to moderators when posters make threads about proposing "new forum rules" and basically trying to help moderate the forum. As with any other forum, I'm certain that there's a Moderator forum which is only visible to them with multiple threads discussing how to handle certain situations and keep the forum running smoothly.

My point is, leave the moderating to the moderators and just worry about posting.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I'm not sure why you're showing me that Minelab thread... There is nothing there that "wasn't tolerated"... It was simply moved to the proper section. There are also some funny posts it which nobody should have a problem with

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wit, point taken.

I am just glad the offending post in question is being handled now. Case closed.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If: "The accepted definition of "trolling" is any internet user behavior that is meant to intentionally anger or frustrate someone in order to provoke a response" then why respond? I find forum arguments pointless and don't participate. If they really bother you put the user on 'ignore' and move on. Moderators have enough to do. There is one segment here I just find annoying and have changed my settings so I don't even see them. Much more peaceful that way. Life is short. Enjoy what you have.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cali, we ask members to help by reporting problem threads and posts to mods, there are hundreds of forums and many times that in posts a day here, we can't read them all...

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
making a thread to Mock another member in any way is already in the rules

You may not.... Impersonate, imitate, pretend to be, or mock another member.

as far as I'm concerned "or mock another member" covers this

If someone makes a post to mock someone else's, they are breaking this rule.
only exception is if the original poster of the original thread suggested it.
or joined in the conversation

Report such threads

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jerseyben,
What I have to say is said out of complete sincerity. If I knew you in real life my words would be much stronger as you'd know they were said with good intentions.

This is the internet, you need to recognize it for what it is and understand that you shouldn't be overly offended by anyone or anything on the internet simply because it is nothing more than a string of 1s and 0s being transmitted through the air and along fibers and wires.

Think back to what we all learned in kindergarten - sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Thicken your skin a bit - it will help you in all aspects of your life.

TNET is amazingly civil and well moderated, this isn't the norm on the net and the site is successful because of some pretty frickin' good rules already in place - if someone steps over the line, just alert the mods because they do a damn fine job.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a member finds a post is offensive or feels it is made to mock them, their post or another member in some way please report it even if your not sure it violates TN rules, mods will look at it and decide if it is an issue with our rules and if it is we will take action.... Please dont strike back with a verbal coment that violates our rules as then we have 2 members breaking rules to deal with....we need members help to help keep TN civil.....Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread