problem with treasurenet redirecting to another site

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everytime I try to visit treasurenet.com it redirects to xdtalk.com It does not matter if I click a bookmark, type the address in myself, or search and click a link. Does not work when I try to click on a subforum link either. Also have this problem with both IE and firefox. Tried clearing my cache. Worked for a little bit but that no longer works either. I have never visited xdtalk.com before this happened. I am visiting treasurenet now through a web proxy. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's owned by the same company as TNET is... Forum Foundry, I can tell ya that.
Yeah I have already been in touch with mods of both forums and they are not sure what the problem could be either. No one else is having the problem as far as they know either so I think it must be a problem on my end.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isnt being directed by TN or more members would be complaining about going there, your only one so far to report it... It is an issue on your pc for some reason.......

What happens when you click on this link?

http://www.treasurenet.com/index.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that I had a browser hijacker I picked up recently, anyway I uninstalled and reinstalled firefox, losing years of bookmarks, anyway hopefully things will work correctly now.

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that I had a browser hijacker I picked up recently, anyway I uninstalled and reinstalled firefox, losing years of bookmarks, anyway hopefully things will work correctly now.
nevermind, it is not working again, I did get rid of the browser hijacker (conduit) but I still can not come to this site without using a web proxy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nevermind, it is not working again, I did get rid of the browser hijacker (conduit) but I still can not come to this site without using a web proxy.

How did you get rid of hijacker? If not done correctly you still have it.

Maybe this will help.....

Methods to Remove Conduit

The purpose of this article is to give a number of steps to remove Conduit from the hard drive and browser (s), in particular the FireFox and Pale Moon browsers.* However, a few of the steps below can also be applied to the IE and others.

Further, there is also some steps on blocking the Conduit Cookies.* But in time, new ways to install Conduit will be devised.* In the interim, the steps below can be repeated at anytime.

Symptoms of Conduit:

1.* Conduit appears in the url window of your browser after you execute a search.

Example:** http://www.bing.com/search?q=google...ABF&form=CONADR&conlogo=CT2786678&ShowAppsUI=

2. Connectivity to the internet is slow, erratic and unstable,* and your computer continues to troubleshoot and resolve the intermittent connection with limited success.

3. Webpages don’t pull up and instead show error messages like, “unable to find or connect to server”.

Methods to seek and destroy:

Below are 11 steps for eliminating the conduit contaminate from the hard disk, registry and browser(s).

Step 1 – Uninstall Conduit Toolbar Program:

Open add/remove programs control panel or program / features control panel
Uninstall Conduit Toolbar or anything from Conduit, if it is listed
Note: You may also have other programs, like freeware, that don’t state Conduit in its nomenclature, but are embedded with some kind code for conduit.* If so, these programs may be rendered useless after executing the additional steps provided below.
Step 2 – Delete Conduit Folders, Files and Gifs from hard drive:

Search your C drive for: conduit
If results are produced, then simply send everything listed to the recycle bin and then empty the bin.
Note1 :* The search results will produce individual listings of folders and files.* So if you delete the parent folder, don’t be surprised if the rest of the files inside it wont delete.* This is because they have already been deleted, when you deleted the parent folder(s).* Simply execute a refresh to see a revised list of the search.
Note 2: The search results may also include items from IE’s history and IE’s cookies.* These items that are tagged with conduit can be deleted.
Step 3 – Delete Conduit Registry Keys:

Click on Start Button > Run > Regedit
Next, click on Menu Bar > Find > Conduit > (select, keys, value and data) > click the Find Button
If keys are found, then from inside the right hand panel right click on the sub-key,* select modify and erase the value/data, then click OK
Next click F3 button to continue the search for Conduit. If there are more results, then repeat step above and erase their value/data.
Upon completion of the search, simply Exit the registry editor and reboot.
Note 1:* Depending on how conduit is installed on your system, there may not be any registry keys for it.
Note 2: IE also stores its configuration data and typed urls in the registry.* So if any keys mention conduit, go ahead and erase their value / data.
Recommendation:*Download / install RegAnalyzer freeware.* Launch, then click the Search Button. * Enter conduit in the search field, then tick/check all options for searching “except” for high speed.* Do not check the option to search high speed mode.* After results are displayed and searching has stopped, right click on items and select “DELETE“
Step 4 – Delete Conduit from Browsing History:

Open FireFox browser
Click on History > Show all History >
Next enter in the search field and execute the search for: conduit
Delete all of the results on the list.
Close window
Internet Explorer

Open Internet Options Control Panel
Click on Settings Button under Browsing history section
Click View Files button
Enter in search window:* conduit
Delete the resulting entries
Note 1:* Because IE stores some cookies with the browsing history on the disk drive, the procedure above will was already accomplished via Step 2 above.* But executing this step is a double check for the conduit
Step 5 – Remove Conduit Cookie:

Open FireFox browser
Click on Tools > Options > Security
Go to Remove Individual Cookies
Enter in search field: conduit
Delete / remove all results
Note:* Some of the results won’t have the word “conduit” embedded in them.* But they are coded and you should proceed to delete all the results listed.
Internet Explorer

Open Windows Explorer
Click on Menu Bar Tools > Options > View > Show Hidden Folders and Files
Next search your c drive for the hidden cookie folder by entering in the search field: Cookie
Next, if you do have a cookie folder, then execute a sub search for conduit and delete items listed in the search results, if any.
Note : Depending on the version of windows, you may or may not have an a specialty cookie folder
Step 6 – Block Conduit Cookie’s:

Open FireFox browser
Click on Menu Bar Tools > Options > Security > Exceptions
Enter the name of cookie: conduit.com
Then click the Block Button
Enter the name of cookie: search.conduit.com
Enter the name of cookie: alert.services.conduit.com
Enter the name of cookie: storage.conduit.com
Next exit
Note 1: For FireFox versions 10 and above, exceptions for blocking cookies is found via the* drop down listing “Custom Settings for History“
Note 2: For IE, exceptions for blocking cookies is found via Internet Options Control Panel > Privacy Tab > Sites Button.* Use the steps above to block individual cookies.
Step 7 – Remove browser add-ons and extensions:

Open FireFox browser
Click on Menu Bar > Tools > Add-ons
Disable / Remove any Conduit Toolbar Extensions or Add-ons, if any.
Note 1: For IE, Open browser and inspect the Add-ons via Tools > Manage Add-ons
Note 2:* Also, disable anything mentioning JAVA’s.* And only re-enable Java when the webpage* requests it and you know its safe to do so.* Afterwards, disable JAVA add-on’s and inspect system, using Step 5 and Step 8.
Step 8 – Remove Conduit Configuration Settings:

Open FireFox browser
Enter into the url field: about:config
Enter in search field: conduit
Modify and null out the values for each entry by:
Highlight / Select individual item
Press enter key
Press delete key
Press enter key
Select next line item and repeat the nullification steps above
When done, Close tab, Restart browser
Note: For IE, the configuration settings are stored in the registry, which was cleaned out via Step 3 above.
Step 9 – Run Spybot:

It is unclear if Spybot Search and Destroy program targets Conduit. But I have sent them an email on adding conduit to their arsenal.* In the interim, running Spybot semi regularly will be helpful to eliminate spyware on your system.
Step 10 – HiJackThis:

Execute a scan for browser hijacks and see if any line items (particularly R0′s and R1′s) infer conduit.* If so, check them off and click the Fix Button.
Note 1: If the R0′s and R1′s have been infiltrated by conduit, then it is probably best to re-install the browser after removing the hijacks, but not always necessary.
Note 2: Not all line items listed by HiJackThis are evil.* In most cases the are designed to make programs run with a pre-determined settings for ease of user convenience.* So don’t be alarmed with results that go beyond the R0 and R1 levels.* However, double check to see if any of them infer to conduit.* If so, jot down their file locations, before “fixing” them.* Then hunt down those files via explore and remove.* (However, none should appear since you should have previously scanned / searched your disk)
Step 11 – Disable Add-ons:

If the browser still seems to be performing under par, consider disabling all the add-ons in the browser.* It might be that add-ons and or extensions maybe corrupted or contaminated.
In FireFox, click on “HELP”, then restart with Add-ons Disable.
Note: Alternatively, you can try booting up windows in safemode w/networking and run the browser and connect to the internet.* If your system is performing well while in safemode, then you should execute a clean boot to possibly eliminate a rogue start up hindering your internet
Internet Explorer

Close broswer
Click on Start Button > Run
Type iexplore -extoff
Press Enter
Note: Alternatively, you can try booting up windows in safemode w/networking and run the browser and connect to the internet.* If your system is performing well while in safemode, then you should execute a clean boot to possibly eliminate a rogue start up hindering your internet.
Conclusion:

It is unclear what conduit actually is.* It maybe a hybrid of a tracking ware, spyware and or search engine hijacker.

What I do know is that when we search Google or Bing we are entitled to quick and clear results.* However, when our searched* urls suddenly infer conduit in them, then I think we have a right to be suspicious and angry, and when the computer becomes sluggish, and internet connectivity is being hindered, like a spyware infection.

Basically, I have been at war with the infiltration of conduit on my system’s for the past several years and it seems to sneak onto the system in one way or another.

Also, I have noticed that youtube tools and facebook tools seem to infer conduit.* But it is unclear if they have anything to do with Conduit.com or they are simply using the term conduit for descriptive purposes of their codes.

In any case, if you notice that certain programs no longer work after removing “conduit” from the computer, then evaluate the need of that program and determine whether installing it is necessary for you.

After you install a questionable program, or you incur computer sluggishness, internet hindrance or url’s returning with conduit in them, my suggestion is to start with Step 5 first and see if their cookies* infiltrated* your system again.

If so, then execute a full sweep of your system – again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Treasure Hunter, I did still have it, I went through and did everything on your list but I still am having the same problem.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Treasure Hunter, I did still have it, I went through and did everything on your list but I still am having the same problem.

It is still residing in your back up files.

There is a program called hitman pro 3.7 that is very good at removing hijackers, Trojans, and worms, you might want to check it out.

It use to come with a free 30 day trial period, it may sitll do..........

Here is link.. http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,sounds like a pain in the butt. Glad i bought a mac :)

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK you got my interest now. First question other than what you have provided already.

1) Does this only happen for TreasureNet or does the redirect happen when trying to browse other websites? What if any other sites are effected?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up conduit hijacker.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting rid if a browser hijacker is many times a trial and error process..

Here are some ways that worked for others...

MalwareBytes didn't find anything but here's how I fixed it (don't know if it matters but I did it in Safe Mode):

1) Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset (I did not have to check clear personal settings)

2) Then I went to General > Home Page
and manually changed to https://www.google.com/

--------------

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-conduit-search-malware/

--------------------

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-conduit-redirect-virus.html

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didnt see it mentioned but there is a free software program you can download called HiJackthis that works really well to remove hijacked software

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK you got my interest now. First question other than what you have provided already.

1) Does this only happen for TreasureNet or does the redirect happen when trying to browse other websites? What if any other sites are effected?

Actually treasurenet is the only site it happens at and xdtalk is the only site I am redirected to. Also after I cleared conduit from my system some software I had was missing so it seems the conduit I had may have been a legitimate program. Or I may have had two versions, who knows. I am still visiting through a proxy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually treasurenet is the only site it happens at and xdtalk is the only site I am redirected to. Also after I cleared conduit from my system some software I had was missing so it seems the conduit I had may have been a legitimate program. Or I may have had two versions, who knows. I am still visiting through a proxy.

Look up conduit, nothing about it is legit, it is piggy backed on other software, it never asks you if you want to install it or use its search engine.

If TN was doing it there would be hundreds complaining not just 1..
It is your PC and conduit that is the issue. Did you get rid of it on your back up files, have you looked vat your registry files too. I bet it is still on your PC..

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please run the program I recomended . HiJackThis.exe
Download HijackThis

If that program does not find anything, Then I think your host file got corrupted. This file is in charge of where to send you when you enter a web address. place this in your windows explorer
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
you will want to check both the HOST file and the LMHOST.SAM files. open them one at a time using notepad, look for any reference to treasurenet.com and delete any lines if they exist in both files. save and exit ... please update as to if this fixes you :)

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help Treasure Hunter, yeah I have no doubt it is on my end. I narrowed it down and I am pretty sure it started after I downloaded a codec file. Since I deleted all conduit references and lost some software I thought maybe there was two different conduits. I also tried a System Restore to an earlier date but no luck.Thanks Jeff I will give that a try.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hijackers are a real pain, they are designed to be hard to remove..... I have spent hours removing them on mine a couple times....... Did you try the free version of hitman pro?

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hijackers are a real pain, they are designed to be hard to remove..... I have spent hours removing them on mine a couple times....... Did you try the free version of hitman pro?
Not yet but I will check it out. One more clue maybe. Went to Mcdonalds today with my laptop and did not have the problem at all. As soon as I got home it was back. Could it be a problem with my wireless router, a setting or something?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread