Now, getting disgusted!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As some of you know, I've been having trouble with 'new posts'. I scan page 6 of 10 to the bottom of the page and click on page 7. I get a 'no new posts' message. I was just on page 7 of 10, got the bottom of the page, clicked on page 8 and got the 'no new posts'. This is ridiculous. I was trying to open each thread that I wanted to read in a new tab this morning; thinking that it might be better. Evidently not. So, when that happened this morning, I just clicked on 'new posts', then clicked on 'mark as read' and said the heck with it. I came here and made this post; now I'm getting off of Tnet for the rest of the day.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, I use 2 laptops, my cell phone and a Tablet and have no issues at all with accessing tnet. I would take a few more minutes and learn how the forum works. Good Luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of you know, I've been having trouble with 'new posts'. I scan page 6 of 10 to the bottom of the page and click on page 7. I get a 'no new posts' message. I was just on page 7 of 10, got the bottom of the page, clicked on page 8 and got the 'no new posts'. This is ridiculous. I was trying to open each thread that I wanted to read in a new tab this morning; thinking that it might be better. Evidently not. So, when that happened this morning, I just clicked on 'new posts', then clicked on 'mark as read' and said the heck with it. I came here and made this post; now I'm getting off of Tnet for the rest of the day.

Red I asked before, how do you have your options set up? You can pick how many threads and posts per page to display, what is yours set at.

OP
OP
texasred777

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll have to check, TH. Don't have enough time to this a.m.; but will later today or tomorrow.
Casca, I don't have any trouble accessing Tnet. I have trouble with the 'new posts'. I find a lot of threads/posts that I like to read there. I would miss a lot of interesting, to me, items if I just go to individual forums. I start the 'new posts' and scan down to the bottom of the page, click on the 2nd page, scan to the bottom, click on the 3rd page, etc. If I see something I want to check out, I either click on it and go read it and then hit the back button to return to the page that I was on before; or I right click on it, and open it in a 'new tab'. Both ways have been a problem. Sometime I will be on page 5 of 10 pages and go to read an item, then hit the back button, and return to the page that I was on, scan the rest of that page, then click on page # 6. Sometime I then get the 'no more new posts' and can't read the other pages without starting back at the 'new posts' and starting over. So far, I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem.
TH, I say that I have been trying to open items that I want to see in a 'new tab'. I am so used to just clicking on the item and then hitting the back button when I'm through that I have yet to actually go through a full 'new posts' forum for the day by using the 'new tab' way on every item that I look at. I'll do some more checking when I get through later today. I don't know how much I may lose or have to go back through; but I've got to get off and take my daughter for some medical tests this morning. I thought I might be able to get through the 9 or 10 pages before having to leave; but no way. Thanks for the help.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you increase the items per page you have less pages. On my pc it is set at 50 on smartphone 40....

If your hitting the back button on exployer and you were reading a long post it may have timed out and forces you to start over.

When you start over you will have less pages as posts you read will not be part of unread any longer unless someone else updated them.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:
OP
OP
texasred777

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. I have mine set for 52. I can't really say what sets this thing off. Sometime I am on a post for only a couple of minutes and then sometime I am on one for several minutes; especially if I make a reply. (Yes, I know, some of my replies are too long.) Do you think it might be better to increase the items per page? Sometime when I hit the back button, the post I just left is still showing on the page that I was scanning; but sometime it is gone (because it is no longer a new post), but sometime it is still shown in small print. I don't enjoy being a big bother about this, but I spend a lot of time on here and really enjoy it. If this problem can be cured, I'd really appreciate it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tex, you are getting that error because by the time you get that far down in the page numbers, the data for the pages has changed. What WAS page 7 isn't there any more, it's now page 8, or something like that. Just reload the "new posts" and skip directly to page 7 and start from there.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason is dead on. When you click on a page you get, let's say, a frozen image of that page. Keep in mind, however, that people may be continuing to post, in fact this happens quite often when you are typing a long reply, the page on your screen will not automatically update each time a new post is made. In order to do this you must reload the page, or refresh the data to current. This can quickly be done by simply clicking on the "refresh" tab usually located to the right of your browser search bar.

When you simply click "back" this will take you back to the last "previous" image/page that you have viewed, here again, without the new updated data being included. The only way you can update a page you are viewing is by either reloading/refreshing the page, or exiting the thread and then re-entering the thread again, so the current updated data can be loaded and displayed. I hope I explained this well enough to make it easier for you to learn how to navigate around Tnet.

In other words, if you open a thread and proceed to click to page two then three and then four, and so on and so on, and then you proceed to "click back" to page one, you will have no new data displayed because you are looking at a previous image of that page that has been "automatically stored in your own online browsing history". Clicking back will never take you to an updated page. Did I explain that correctly, Jason?

Last edited:
OP
OP
texasred777

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Confused! I made a reply yesterday a.m. It's not here.

Ok, I can see what both of you are saying. I'm going to try to explain a little more in detail what is happening. I go to 'new posts'. It shows that there are 10 pages of 'new posts'. I scan down the first page, see nothing interesting, so I click on page 2. After scanning about half way down the page I see something that I'm interested in looking at. I click on the item, read it, maybe make a reply to it, then click the back button. Then I scan down to the bottom of page 2 and click on page 3. I see nothing on page 3 of interest, so I click on page 4. I see something on page 4 that interests me, so I click on it. I read it and make a reply. Then I click the back button and scan the rest of page 4. When I click on page 5, I get the 'no more new posts' message. I click the back button and return to page 4. I click the page 6 and get the 'nmnp' message. I click the back button and may get back to page 4, or I may get the 'nmnp' messaage. I can click on the 'new posts' again and start over; but then I have to check the new posts that have been added since I started earlier until I get to the ones that I have already seen. Then I have to go through the ones that I have already seen until I get to the ones that I haven't read. If instead of clicking on 'new posts', and just click on page 5, I miss the new posts that were posted since I first started, and that means that page 5 has probably changed also. Also if I refresh, (I believe) it will be like starting over and the page should be different and I will not know where I stopped or where to start.

I know, 'it's complicated'. I really don't think there is an answer to this problem for me. I have some other forums that I am on also. I am on 5 firearms forums and 2 other treasure hunting forums. I don't have this problem with them. Also, I only have the problem with the 'new posts' forum. I guess if the 'new posts' forum was just continually running, it might solve the problem; but I'm don't know that much about programming. Of course, if it was continuous running, it would have to have a 'cut off' after a certain number of pages. But, as I said, I'm not into programming; a real dunce when it comes to that!

As I have said before, I believe it's just something that I'll have to live with.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it makes you feel any better you're not alone. Mine takes forever to load then it's filled with adware that Norton or CCleaner can't seem to get rid of.

Personally I think there are too many flash ads for those of us who don't have access to fiber optic service. Wish there was a setting for that. I realize this is a compound problem but it's no less annoying. I've seen others with problems as well. Yesterday I hit the notifications button and the flash ad below it kept grabbing my cursor and opening another page. In fact I'm on this page now because the notifications or quick links button didn't work. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

OP
OP
texasred777

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calisdad, I haven't had the problems that you're referring to. I've not had problems with ads or popups. I don't use Norton or CCleaner. I only use the Microsoft Security Essentials for my security. I could not ask for a better program so far. We have 6 computers, 2 laptops, and 2 spares that all run this set up. I have my popup blocker on and use the AdBlock plus. I believe we do have fiber optics here. (The only thing great about this little town that I can think of.) Also, because we use computers so much and the grandson is taking courses online for his college degree, we had to go to a 'small business' classification. We have a 20 meg (2 X 10 meg) set up. It's pretty fast, even with all of us online at the same time. I've only been a Charter Member for a few days, but had no problems with ads and popups before joining. I would like to see these problems solved; but can't blame anyone for them. Things just happen. As a man I knew long, long time ago said, "If God made it, don't worry about. If it's man-made. anything can happen." After 71+ years, I've seen a lot strange happenings!! GL & HH!

Last edited:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks texasred777. After several scrubs with each tool and downloading Microsoft's malware removal tool twice things are much better this morning. I still have to deal with an Amazon popup but much better and faster today. We were lucky that a local company installed a radio tower they bounced a signal from. It's a mile away and in clear sight so we were able to dump Wildblue. It's 1/3 the price and 5 times faster. With Wildblue we couldn't watch videos much or movies at all. We can now but sometimes have to adjust the clarity (can't think of the right word but you know what I mean).

I'll see what I can glean from MSFT Essentials. thanks

OP
OP
texasred777

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've finally found a way to keep from losing the pages in the 'new posts' section. Instead of going to a post/thread and taking the time to read and possibly make a reply, I do some thing different. I click the post/thread, and when the page comes up, I click my 'favorites' button and add it to my favorites. Then when I've gone through the entire section of 'new posts', I can go to the favorites and spend as much time as I want on each post. Doing it this way, I've had no problems with losing pages for over two weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread