Help starting a major forum for women who hunt for treasure.

Rocksy34

Jun 20, 2016
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I would like to start a file for women to discuss their treasure hunting experiences. I love the larger community of this site and enjoy the diversity of it so I do not wish to make wave of any sort. However there are fewer female treasure hunters and I think it would be great to have a large forum where we could meet. Women have some unique experiences to the hunt and I think it would be positive to create a community here. It's always nice to have a "safe" place to trade thoughts. I post here looking to see what might be possible. Thanks!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we need to stop separating ourselves into even smaller sub-sections. Some women claim to want equality, yet they still want special recognition as a "woman." Why can't women feel "safe" in a forum that is 98-percent male? I feel great in a room of 98-percent women. C'mon ladies, "Man Up!" :skullflag:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Typically sub forum groups don't do well.
I do remember a post by a moderator asking for such requests. I'm sure he or she will pipe in shortly.
Nothing wrong with a forum for woman. I'm sure plenty of us guys will be lurking in the background as curious spectators!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has been suggested in the past and shot down. Not going to do separate sub-forums for men and women..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has been suggested in the past and shot down. You can do a thread and that is not an issue but not going to do separate sub-forums for men and women..

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that politically charged subject and also Politically incorrect.......:dontknow: Just Kidding!!!:laughing7:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Women have some unique experiences to the hunt and I think it would be positive to create a community here." I hunted with my girlfriend for many years and I do not think women have any different or unique experiences than men. Could you enlighten us on what is unique about a woman digging? I mean, anybody's detector goes beep, anybody digs and recovers, sex has nothing to do with it. Hunted many a field for stone artifacts with a woman, we both walk with our heads looking down, see something, bend over and pick it up. Where does sex equal something different in the experience? It seems to me that all hunters get the same rush of excitement finding lost objects without regards of race, age, sex, religion, or nationality. Everybody is treated equally on this forum.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I love that there are women hunters. I would hate it if they were separated and I couldn't see their posts mixed in with everyone else's.
two cents.jpg

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my wife wuz hunting when she found me

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife hunts...

through my collections bag to see if I found anything good.

Detectorist lives matter = for all = one human detecting family = rainbows and unicorns untie.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a unicorn tied with a rainbow! ------------------------ I figure you meant unite but it came out funny.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only think of one concern as female, assault for reasons other than robbery. But everyone should be aware of surroundings in sketchy areas or times when alone.

It would be nice if some accessories came in woman's or kid size, shorter shaft options, swing harnesses.

Otherwise, I want a bright pink AT Pro - with matching belt and bags.

FYI - Not a pink junkie, tomboy really, but I have never lost a pink handled tool or golf ball to "Borrowing"

OP
OP
Rocksy34

Rocksy34

Jun 20, 2016
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I expected such a reaction. This isn't about separation. Like I said, I like the diversity of this site. I like the inclusion. When using the word "safe" it isn't about feeling unwelcome in other forums. Infact there is something egalitarian about treasure hunting. It's just, as a woman with these interests, it's nice to come across other women in a male dominated area. You guys have the court so to speak, and I would like to see more women involved in playing the game. For some of you asking for a separate forum is relaying some message that men and women are not equal. That is ridiculous. Women and men are absolutely equal even if they have differences. Notice the groups on this site. People fall into different categories based on similarities. Having a forum for women would be the same. As for those of you who would wonder what the different experiences of women would be out in the field, well they are limited, but let me assure you some do indeed exist. So, as I said, I'm not here asking this to make waves. I am merely asking as a suggestion. There is nothing wrong with the idea. I think it would be fun for us women. If for whatever reason the idea is rejected by admin. so be it. I'm happy to continue conversing with other hunters on this site. You guys are pretty great from my experience. Thank you for you input.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rocksy...I'm a female TH'er too. If you want to chat about anything, feel free to PM me!

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi :hello:, female here (the name gives it away). There are only a handful of sites out there that are gender specific and I'm glad this isn't one of them. I am very grateful to those sites that are safe havens for gender specific issues, but treasure hunting isn't a hobby that's divisible by gender, in my opinion. I want to learn from the best and if the best is a random male on the other side of internet land, that's alright by me.

By unique experiences, do you mean that we just can't pee just anywhere like the boys can? ;) (kidding, kind of) If you meant assault, that can happen to anyone, male or female. One of life's important lessons is one must learn to protect oneself. Whether by handgun, taser, or whatever you feel comfortable with carrying. If you're concerned with your safety, go hunting in pairs or a group. Never hunt alone in rough areas and always mind your surroundings. I can walk into any store and by the time I leave, I can tell you what everyone looked like. I make eye contact with everyone. I grew up in a not so great part of town (definitely NOT the worst either!!). I carried a crowbar in my car and steel t-ball bat b/c I wasn't old enough for a carry permit. I've been followed on more than one occasion and just about every time I have made the person following me feel very concerned for their safety. Kind of amusing to watch your would-be attacker, mugger, etc do everything possible to get away because you put the fear of God and a bullet into his soul. I wasn't even armed!! LOL But he may think twice about putting his hands on another woman's purse - or not. Most criminals are not exactly smart.

There's no one stopping you from starting something that you feel would be beneficial to a small subgroup of the hunting population. The trick would be finding ways to obtain new membership, keep the members engaged, finding sponsors willing to take a risk on something so early on, and keeping the site fresh, all without stepping on toes in forums like this one. I'm on a few forums and one of the common rules is that you cannot advertise other forums that may take away members or sponsors from that current forum. It's not worded exactly like that, but that's what the rule implies.

I feel this is a safe place... if I was out hunting and some random person attempted to harm me in any way whatsoever, I hope he/she has good insurance, he'll (or she'll) need it along with a team of very good surgeons once I am finished with them.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I think we need to stop separating ourselves into even smaller sub-sections. Some women claim to want equality, yet they still want special recognition as a "woman." Why can't women feel "safe" in a forum that is 98-percent male? I feel great in a room of 98-percent women. C'mon ladies, "Man Up!" :skullflag:
98%?? Wow - I figured that number would be MUCH lower!

As for splitting things up so that women have their own little area, you're taking the focus away from Treasure and putting it on gender. TreasureNet is further divided according to type of treasure hunting, but that is to make it easier for people to 1) find what interests them and 2) access the specific information they are looking for.

By dividing anything up for "women only", you would be creating a place where "men" cannot post and are not allowed, except as spectator ONLY. And what happens about the folks who don't want it known whether they are man or woman? I don't mean that in a perverted way, but rather, some people care very much about online security, and the less information they share about themselves the better. I used to be that way. Was Channel Op on several IRC help channels. Created nicknames that were gender-neutral. Was forever getting PM'd by pervs wanting to "show me a good time". :laughing7: All of a sudden, they're spending the next 24 hours unable to re-enter and STILL wondering if they have me figured out!
Mr Grouch - Copy.gif

So when it comes to anything that is meant for any specific gender, I believe that is where the Private Message function comes into play. It only makes sense that for TreasureNet to really work, that it be fully open to EVERYONE at all times.

...Can't get my thoughts to come out the way I want. Too tired - been a long, hard day over here!

OP
OP
Rocksy34

Rocksy34

Jun 20, 2016
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
98%?? Wow - I figured that number would be MUCH lower!

As for splitting things up so that women have their own little area, you're taking the focus away from Treasure and putting it on gender. TreasureNet is further divided according to type of treasure hunting, but that is to make it easier for people to 1) find what interests them and 2) access the specific information they are looking for.

By dividing anything up for "women only", you would be creating a place where "men" cannot post and are not allowed, except as spectator ONLY. And what happens about the folks who don't want it known whether they are man or woman? I don't mean that in a perverted way, but rather, some people care very much about online security, and the less information they share about themselves the better. I used to be that way. Was Channel Op on several IRC help channels. Created nicknames that were gender-neutral. Was forever getting PM'd by pervs wanting to "show me a good time". :laughing7: All of a sudden, they're spending the next 24 hours unable to re-enter and STILL wondering if they have me figured out!
View attachment 1329003

So when it comes to anything that is meant for any specific gender, I believe that is where the Private Message function comes into play. It only makes sense that for TreasureNet to really work, that it be fully open to EVERYONE at all times.

...Can't get my thoughts to come out the way I want. Too tired - been a long, hard day over here!

I get your point. However, no one said "only" and of course the forum would be open. People tend to comment where they want regardless of forum preferences, and that should be okay as long as the posts are respectful. Just wanted to point that out. I hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions