Ads causing redirects and malware

ProspectorJay

Greenie
Sep 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry that it's to make a complaint.

Some of the ads that get served up by your advertising service are auto redirecting to sites that prompt users to install malware through social engineering. I'm only having this problem on android devices. I've tested this several times on different clean devices. I can't point to the specific ads that are causing this since they hijack the browser before any graphics load. I cannot reproduce this on my Windows machine, so I suspect the scripts are attempting to target android devices specifically.

This started happening two days ago. I'm not going to suggest you turn off ads, but perhaps you could notify your ad service. In the meantime, I won't be visiting tnet on mobile devices, which is 80% of my browsing.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just make sure you log in and the pop up ads go away

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you logged in when it happens? I use mobile phone and tablet as well as pc to access TN every day and have no problems with ads when logged in.

OP
OP
P

ProspectorJay

Greenie
Sep 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens before I get a chance to log in on mobile. Because I go back and forth between devices throughout the day, the one I'm not using gets logged out.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can be on line with my smart phone, tablet and pc at same time. I never have to log back in with my phone. Are you using IPhone or Android...

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the advertisements. They have pictures of scantly clad women with big treasure chests!

OP
OP
P

ProspectorJay

Greenie
Sep 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use multiple devices but only have the issue on two different makes of android tablets. One is a test platform and gets reset to factory regularly. This only started happening two days ago. I suspect there's a bad ad being served that's causing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread