PioneerPauly

Mar 28, 2010
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello!

I have a jar of gold plated items from electronic parts (no circuit boards), and jewelry, and I have another jar of 10k, 14k, and perhaps finer jewelry.

I want to know if its safe to mix the two to melt into 'shot' for refining, or if I should keep seperate..

I am planning on refining the 'shot' to .999 or .9999 pure.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
off hand when did you ever find Gold of the same finness in a mining venture? So I would say go ahead, but figure on establishing your fineness later, Incidentaly .999 fine is rather difficult to achieve for a home brew. LUCK

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not "normal" to take a higher-purity gold and mix it with a lower-purity gold. Not normal doesn't mean impossible.

I've never recovered gold from electronics, but I would assume you should probably work that material separate from the jewelry - try to keep common metals together. ...But I dunno - maybe it just don't matter. :dontknow:

Have you refined gold before? Do you have any type of refining setup?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Gold from gold plated items first needs to be recovered before it can be refined. The material it is plated to will determine the method of recovery.

Recovery methods of gold from gold alloy jewelry is dependent on the specific alloy, with inquartation being the method of choice for most.

Recovery from gold rolled or gold filled has yet other methods.

Proper removal of gemstones is a whole set of procedures with considerations for both stone and alloy. No single methods work for everything.

Your original post indicates to me that you are unfamiliar with any gold recovery methods, regardless of source. If this is the case, and you do want to learn to do it right, please take a trip to the Gold Refining Forum. I did and am better for it.

Melting everything together and making shot is probably the worst method possible for gold recovery. I advise against it.

Time for coffee. With additives.

Edit: posting the same question in three different threads will get you answers no earlier and only serves to confuse members. Asking the question once, in only one thread, serves to keep answers in one place, making the thread more coherent.

Moderators: please combine any answers from other threads where the OP asked his original question with this thread. Thank you.

Too late for coffee. Pass the additives.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread