Connection not secure

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep getting this warning that there is no secure connection and that passwords and personal information is not secure. Is there something in the works to resolve this?
What the warning means:

Firefox will display a lock icon with red strike-through red strikethrough icon in the address bar when a login page youā€™re viewing does not have a secure connection. This is to inform you that if you enter your password it could be stolen by eavesdroppers and attackers.

What can I do if a login page is insecure?
If a login page for your favorite site is insecure, you can try and see if a secure version of the page exists by typing https:// before the url in the location bar. You can also try to contact the web administrator for the site and ask them to secure their connection.

Not recommended: You can also continue to log in to the website even if the connection is insecure, but do so at your own risk. If you do go this route, try to use a unique password or a password that you donā€™t also use for other important sites.

About insecure pages
Pages that need to transmit private information, such as credit cards, personal information and passwords, need to have a secure connection to help prevent attackers from stealing your information. (Tip: A secure connection will have "HTTPS" in the address bar, along with a green lock icon.)

Pages that donā€™t transmit any private information can have an unencrypted connection (HTTP). It is not advised to enter private information, such as passwords, on a web page that shows HTTP in the address bar. The information you enter can be stolen over this insecure connection.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
ADMIN has been notified of this problem. We aren't lone - did a quick search and found others (using same forum software) have problem as well...

March 15th, 2017 09:55 PM: I'm getting a warning at the password prompt when logging on to the effect, "This connection is not secure...
March 15th, 2017 10:17 PM: It sounds like yoiu are using Firefox. It just updated to version 52 and is letting you know that this site is not using the Secure socket layer (https).
March 15th, 2017 10:23 PM: Yeah, I began seeing the same thing after a Firefox update (just during the last few days.)

Found two other forums experiencing the same problem...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking that Firefox did an upgrade a week or so ago when that began happening to me.

In my paranoid tiny mind I figured Firefox just wanted me to pay for usage.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep getting this warning that there is no secure connection and that passwords and personal information is not secure. Is there something in the works to resolve this?
What the warning means:

Firefox will display a lock icon with red strike-through red strikethrough icon in the address bar when a login page youā€™re viewing does not have a secure connection. This is to inform you that if you enter your password it could be stolen by eavesdroppers and attackers.

If a login page for your favorite site is insecure, you can try and see if a secure version of the page exists by typing https:// before the url in the location bar. You can also try to contact the web administrator for the site and ask them to secure their connection.

Not recommended: You can also continue to log in to the website even if the connection is insecure, but do so at your own risk. If you do go this route, try to use a unique password or a password that you donā€™t also use for other important sites.

About insecure pages
Pages that need to transmit private information, such as credit cards, personal information and passwords, need to have a secure connection to help prevent attackers from stealing your information. (Tip: A secure connection will have "HTTPS" in the address bar, along with a green lock icon.)

Pages that donā€™t transmit any private information can have an unencrypted connection (HTTP). It is not advised to enter private information, such as passwords, on a web page that shows HTTP in the address bar. The information you enter can be stolen over this insecure connection.

Will be watching for Admin's input on this.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is another anti privacy bill has passed. Could be your computer is more adept about such things.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the warning means:

About insecure pages

No https:// at the very beginning of a web address for any website has always meant that it is NOT a secured site. Thank you for pointing this out to others and for explaining the risks involved to them!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
There are programs, called 'sniffers'. I used one on my own computer in my early days with Linux. The instructions on ibm.net on how to log on with Linux were pure gibberish, so I needed to watch the log-on in Windows to see what it actually did. I was then able to log-on in Linux by doing the same thing.

Your log-on gets transferred from your server to other servers, back and forth around the country until it gets to the TN server. At any point, on any server, if a bad guy has access to that server, or is able to input a trojan, to run a sniffer, they can peel off large amounts of traffic, and then browse through it at their leisure and pick off bank card numbers; credit card numbers and passcodes; log-in names and passwords, UNLESS it is encrypted.

I had a stupid bank official tell me to send an image of a form with my bank account numbers on it, via e-mail as a scanned image. Sniffers can get it all.

And, when my Banamex USA was shut down due to money laundering, FDIC (I think that is the name) informed me there was no other way to send my forms except in an unencrypted image via e-mail. These are the morons who tell you how to avoid having your identity stolen.

I also had a credit card person tell me the same thing. These people are a menace.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i use a chrome puter, never had probs here, but im also not
filling in cc card just my password, which according to my
chrome info says this site is not secure,so im guessing the pass
could be stolen, and or site hacked
Tnet addy is
http://
so not the secure
https://

when i click the O with the i in it, it gives me this info
Screenshot 2017-06-19 at 9.19.30 PM.png
what the symbols mean

Screenshot 2017-06-19 at 9.17.46 PM.png

Last edited:

fallingrock

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It basically means that anyone who posts legit info on the location of anything in particular could be targeted for any and/or all photos, browser history, and/or anything and everything for their own personal gain. I bet the 24th Air Force has been having a field day with all of this.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread