HELP I need to identify this piece for my dissertation please xx

moman110

Sep 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Image 2.jpg

This is what im looking to identify, ive searched loads of places I know its on the album art cover of ^Kulu shaker hush^ but I cant find whereabouts some help would be appreciated xxxx

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From wikipedia... Tiles depicting Richard I of England and Saladin, now in the British Museum. Tag on exhibit states: "Tiles showing Richard and Saladin." and "About 1250-60, Chertsey, England, Earthenware, lead-glazed. PE 1885,1113.9051-60;9065-70 Given by Dr. H. M. Shurlock."

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
These floor tiles were found at the site of Chertsey Abbey in Surrey. They show the English king, Richard I, spearing the Muslim leader Saladin with his lance during the Third Crusade. The scene was a popular depiction in medieval England and is found in wall paintings and manuscripts as well as on tiles. The Richard I and Saladin tiles form a good starting point for enquiries about the Third Crusade or the wider issues of crusading.
Source:
http://www.teachinghistory100.org/objects/richard_i_and_saladin
Don......

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These floor tiles were found at the site of Chertsey Abbey in Surrey. They show the English king, Richard I, spearing the Muslim leader Saladin with his lance during the Third Crusade. The scene was a popular depiction in medieval England and is found in wall paintings and manuscripts as well as on tiles. The Richard I and Saladin tiles form a good starting point for enquiries about the Third Crusade or the wider issues of crusading.
Source:
http://www.teachinghistory100.org/objects/richard_i_and_saladin
Don......

and not a lot has changed since:dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread