This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between searches.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there something that can be done about getting rid of this archaic requirement? I realize that it is an attempt to keep bots from abusing the system, but it REALLY gets in the way of legitimate searches, including viewing my own recent threads and recent posts, searching forums for an old post or for a particular topic of interest.

I've been a member of many forums over a couple of decades and haven't run into such strong restrictions on searches ever before. If this is a topic that has been discussed before, forgive me, but I wasn't able to search for it without being told that I had to wait before trying to rephrase my search keywords.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Interesting - never noticed that. I logged out and tried a few searches and found the TN Advanced search does make you wait. I will forward your concern to ADMIN and get back to you shortly.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Interesting - never noticed that. I logged out and tried a few searches and found the TN Advanced search does make you wait. I will forward your concern to ADMIN and get back to you shortly.

Wow... awesome! Thanks for paying attention! I really didn't expect this to go anywhere. I appreciate that.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take those 45 seconds to relax; recharge my batteries.
Don.....

More power to you. I use them to get out detecting 45 seconds earlier. My batteries are already recharged. (it can be a lot more than 45 seconds if you're trying to find something difficult to search for)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_teacher.gif
Here is a little trick I use that works with EVERYTHING and in turn bypasses any search timeout. Open another tab with your favorite search engine (I use Google Chrome Search) and enter:
site_search.gif

site_searcha.gif

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_teacher.gif
Here is a little trick I use that works with EVERYTHING and in turn bypasses any search timeout. Open another tab with your favorite search engine (I use Google Chrome Search) and enter:

True. I do use Google's site search on occasion to limit Google's searches to a particular site. What that, of course, will NOT help with, though is these two "searches" (apparently behind the scenes, the forum software considers these to be searches):

scrap.jpg

I'm pretty sure there are some other built-in "searches" that will also trigger that message but I can't remember where I've run into them, so take that with a grain of salt. But those two... definitely.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
You can select (near top of page) QUICK LINKS and then select TODAY'S POSTS - not what you are looking for but might be helpful while you are waiting... Or NEW POSTS
(near top of page)...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bumping this a year+ later... still a problem, a very annoying one. This is the only forum I know of that has a restriction like this. Can't something please be done about it?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't really bother me...much. Those bots are relentless.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumping this a year+ later... still a problem, a very annoying one. This is the only forum I know of that has a restriction like this. Can't something please be done about it?

Happens on occasion, as a mod I do a lot of searches back to back, cant remember the last time it happened.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

happens to me every time I try to find my own posts or search anything from another members posts

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agree, super annoying when trying to figure out the right search words to find a specific thing. You might as well not be in a rush! I generally give up on search unless I click to just search titles otherwise it gives such a broad response I have to read through 100 threads to find any mention of what I searched for.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Consider yourself lucky. I hit two other forums a bunch and do a lot of searching (for information) and get hit all the time with wait xxx before next search. It normally happens after the 3rd of 4th search. My understand is a "search" eats up time since it has to search through a database that may hold a billion words. The more members searching the possibility of slowing down others becomes an issue. Don't know if this is still true but that has always been the answer I would get (on other forums). I originally posted this question to our ADMIN (Jun 12, 2019, 03:22 AM) and will "bump" the thread again. Will let ya know what I hear...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't really bother me...much. Those bots are relentless.
Bots are probably not doing searches.

You may not be doing what some of us do quite often: go to your profile and check your recent posts. Then check your recent threads. No bot is going to be doing that. They want to get on here an post advertisements. The best way to control bots is to control who gets an account here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Consider yourself lucky. I hit two other forums a bunch and do a lot of searching (for information) and get hit all the time with wait xxx before next search. It normally happens after the 3rd of 4th search. My understand is a "search" eats up time since it has to search through a database that may hold a billion words. The more members searching the possibility of slowing down others becomes an issue. Don't know if this is still true but that has always been the answer I would get (on other forums). I originally posted this question to our ADMIN (Jun 12, 2019, 03:22 AM) and will "bump" the thread again. Will let ya know what I hear...

Thank you. I spent my career working on computers and the last few years doing database administration. Modern databases are designed for queries and if the indices are properly constructed, will not be an issue. Now, I don't know anything about this particular software or what sort of database it is using but forcing the user to wait between searches is just not something that is done... anywhere! A better solution to something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place, would be to make the user click an "I am not a robot" CAPTCHA between searches (please, NOT an old-fashioned sort of retype this word CAPTCHA!)

Thanks for listening and passing my request along. Searches are an important part of using a forum, and really should not be restricted at all.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
happens to me every time I try to find my own posts or search anything from another members posts

Thanks for chiming in. I'm afraid that maybe the people in charge think this is just my problem.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happens on occasion, as a mod I do a lot of searches back to back, cant remember the last time it happened.

As a mod, maybe you don't have the same restrictions in place as we peons do. This is a small annoyance that really shouldn't exist. There is no need for it. You're not controlling bots by forcing a time restriction on queries... bots have all the time in the world. They can wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just trying to find some threads that discussed my local area. Trying different keywords, as you often need to do with searches to get the results you're looking for.

"This forum requires that you wait 50 seconds between searches. Please try again in 37 seconds."

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I experience the same thing. I go to someone’s profile and click on latest posts and then go back and try latest threads and get that message. It happens in other situations as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread