help with coils for Garrett at pro

Mrobey

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2017
Clarksburg
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster. Now using Garrett at pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. First time post. I hope I'm doing this right. I'm going to order a new Garrett AT Pro. But I'm not sure what coil I want. I'm looking at the Garrett 5X8 dd coil and the Garrett 6.5 X 9" PROformance Search Coil it's their Concentric Search Coil. I've been told the Concentric Search Coil has better separation and target id but I've also been told the same thing about the dd coil. Is there anybody here that have used both? And what kind of luck have you had using them. I'm going to be using it around old home sites,old roads,parks,in the woods about everywhere I guess. Any input on their advantages and disadvantages would really help. And as you know some of these places will be littered with nails,pull tabs,foil and old iron. After watching all the youtube videos Ya just wonder if their adds or for real. I would rather get it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. Thanks in advance for any help. I had a older Whites coinmaster 6000 dpi pro that I liked so I hope I'm upgrading.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind the deeper a concentric coil goes the narrower the search pattern is and the more you have to over lap the search sweep. Think of it like burying an icecream cone in the ground, the deeper it is the smal lo er the cone is. A DD coil goes down the same width if the coil to its max depth.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Mrobey! Take a look at Forum: West Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - When ya get a chance - don't forget to browse Brands > Garrett.
3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the AT Pro Sport Package that includes the 5" x 8" PROformance DD coil and I really like it. The smaller coil really powers through the trashy areas to single out the high squeakers.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :skullflag: I have the 5X8 coil and absolutely love it! Can't speak for the concentric coil but I have not heard one person say anything negative about the 5X8.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both, get the 5x8

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5" X 8" does a fantastic job, it's a must.

The 6.5" X 9" is very good.

The big coil the machine comes with is very good for open spaces.

The "Sniper Coil", is very handy, (but very hot), for getting into restricted spaces, or dealing in trashy areas.

Hanging behind my desk

Behind my desk.JPG

OP
OP
M

Mrobey

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2017
Clarksburg
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the tips. I think i'm going to order The AT Pro with the standard coil and the 5x8 coil I'll use the 5x8 on old home sites and trashy aera's. I always took my small coil with me when I took the older Whites 6000 dpi pro out. It seems like you don't know which coil your going to need till you start looking and either start getting a lot of trash or very little and then decide which coil will work best for the area your in.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the tips. I think i'm going to order The AT Pro with the standard coil and the 5x8 coil I'll use the 5x8 on old home sites and trashy aera's. I always took my small coil with me when I took the older Whites 6000 dpi pro out. It seems like you don't know which coil your going to need till you start looking and either start getting a lot of trash or very little and then decide which coil will work best for the area your in.

Yep, I think you made a good decision. I had the 5x8 on my pro 80% of the time, its perfect for detecting in the woods

OP
OP
M

Mrobey

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2017
Clarksburg
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I'm still learning how to navigate this site. Took me a while figuring out how to make the post I did. LOL And I'm not a very good typer to boot. I didn't even know there was a wv forum. o well I'm learning.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i'm going to order The AT Pro with the standard coil and the 5x8 coil I'll use the 5x8 on old home sites and trashy area's..

That's a good way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread