Problem with Private Messages

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another member has twice tried to send me a private message, for which I get pop-up notification. When I open the messages, all I see is this:

[Q U O T E=forum name of member]Hello, private letter, Mail:email name of member@163.com[/Q U O T E]

Nothing else in the message box (note I have put spaces in the word 'quote' to avoid it being treated as formatting when I repeat it here).

Private Messaging is set to 'on' and enabled 'for all members', so what might the problem be? Or is there no problem at all and the member is only trying to provide me with his email address? That, I can ask him. I believe the member may be in China, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another member has twice tried to send me a private message, for which I get pop-up notification. When I open the messages, all I see is this:

[Q U O T E=forum name of member]Hello, private letter, Mail:email name of member@163.com[/Q U O T E]

Nothing else in the message box (note I have put spaces in the word 'quote' to avoid it being treated as formatting when I repeat it here).

Private Messaging is set to 'on' and enabled 'for all members', so what might the problem be? Or is there no problem at all and the member is only trying to provide me with his email address? That, I can ask him. I believe the member may be in China, if that makes a difference.

I just sent you a test, I suspect the other member sent you just the email address.

OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Both your test messages arrived without problem. I think you're right that the member concerned is just trying to encourage me to communicate by email rather than on the forum.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I delete all attempts to garner personal identification via PM, unless it was agreed to on open forum. Helps avoid potential problems.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread