vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Until a member pipes in - I noticed that all over the net! I found a good explanation that 'smart quotes' (curly ones) convert over to question marks. I have a website and that is exactly what happens when I copy/past some stuff with quotes. I have to go back and replace those "curly quotes" over to the standard quote selection. It obviously has something to do with the way ascii is converted...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's happening all over this site and seems to have only manifested itself since the recent upgrade and switch to a new server. It's not just question marks that are being substituted for punctuation or quotation marks. Odd characters are being substituted for all kinds of non-english alphabetical characters. It's happening for letters with foreign accents too. Text that has been composed in a text editor (MS Word for example) and then copied/pasted or text which has been copied/pasted from other websites is particularly badly affected, with all kinds of characters being substituted for what was originally posted.

Take a look at the mess created on one of my posts for example:

Text Coding.jpg

I don't think this can be corrected at the viewing end. Seems to me the problem is at Tnet's end in relation to UTF coding for ASCII characters.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's happening all over this site and seems to have only manifested itself since the recent upgrade and switch to a new server. It's not just question marks that are being substituted for punctuation or quotation marks. Odd characters are being substituted for all kinds of non-english alphabetical characters. It's happening for letters with foreign accents too. Text that has been composed in a text editor (MS Word for example) and then copied/pasted or text which has been copied/pasted from other websites is particularly badly affected, with all kinds of characters being substituted for what was originally posted.

Take a look at the mess created on one of my posts for example:

attachment.php

I don't think this can be corrected at the viewing end. Seems to me the problem is at Tnet's end in relation to UTF coding for ASCII characters.

Did you write it first in another program and copy and paste it here, there is an issue due to how old vbulletin is trying to convert to software on new server.

According to admins "The new software supports UTF-8 where as the old one is different, so it interprets some of the characters differently than before."

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed another problem since the "upgrade". Using the "insert image" tool to add pictures to you post results in large pictures in the body of the post that don't enlarge when you click on them like before. It also adds "attached thumbnails" at the end of the post. Here is an example.
Small Preform or some type of tool? (treasurenet.com)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trying my PC just out of Curiosity

"Quotation Marks"
'Apostrophe' Marks

Only place I Noticed it are My first Couple Years Posts here have rows of Question Marks

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you write it first in another program and copy and paste it here, there is an issue due to how old vbulletin is trying to convert to software on new server.

According to admins "The new software supports UTF-8 where as the old one is different, so it interprets some of the characters differently than before."

Yes. Except for very short posts, I habitually compose in MS Word and edit before copying and pasting. The edited text I post may also include information copied and pasted as ‘unformatted’ text from other web sources and documents I have in my personal digital library. Where there are foreign accents on letters (eg in place names) I format accordingly.

I participate on multiple forums and Tnet (post upgrade) is the only one that incorrectly interprets the text, whether from old or recent posts. I administrate on another forum that also runs vBulletin (v5.6.1 Patch Level 1) which does not have these problems. I assume it’s the server software that creates the problems, not vBulletin itself.

The issue is not confined to copy and paste though, but it is, as I said, worsened. Recently (post upgrade), I directly typed a post with quotation marks and it displayed exactly as I had typed it. However, 30 seconds later, I corrected a spelling error and resubmitted the edited post. The quotation marls were replaced by question marks when I resubmitted.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Except for very short posts, I habitually compose in MS Word and edit before copying and pasting. The edited text I post may also include information copied and pasted as ‘unformatted’ text from other web sources and documents I have in my personal digital library. Where there are foreign accents on letters (eg in place names) I format accordingly.

I participate on multiple forums and Tnet (post upgrade) is the only one that incorrectly interprets the text, whether from old or recent posts. I administrate on another forum that also runs vBulletin (v5.6.1 Patch Level 1) which does not have these problems. I assume it’s the server software that creates the problems, not vBulletin itself.

The issue is not confined to copy and paste though, but it is, as I said, worsened. Recently (post upgrade), I directly typed a post with quotation marks and it displayed exactly as I had typed it. However, 30 seconds later, I corrected a spelling error and resubmitted the edited post. The quotation marls were replaced by question marks when I resubmitted.

It is combination of the software on the new server and the age of current Vbulliten treasurenet is running on. Admins will eventually have to upgrade the vbulletin software for Treasurenet.

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed another problem since the "upgrade". Using the "insert image" tool to add pictures to you post results in large pictures in the body of the post that don't enlarge when you click on them like before. It also adds "attached thumbnails" at the end of the post. Here is an example.
Small Preform or some type of tool? (treasurenet.com)

Oddly, I’ve noticed once or twice recently that photos I’ve posts have been displayed more the size of a thumbnail than a viewable image. They do enlarge but are not really viewable as posted.

Post #7 here for example -

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/political-discussion/656043-where-gay-flags-aren-t-flying.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread