Does everybody tent camp?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty cool... having electricity does make things a little easier so you can run a fan (or in your case A/C) during the summer months. The mosquitoes are HORRIBLE down there too! :-\

The artisan well is pretty awesome too!! I've been trying to find some places with freshwater springs that could possibly be places to retreat to should any type of disaster take place.

Bran <><

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes the electric is cool and nobody else is allowed to camp there. Tourists sometimes stop by to fill water jugs.

I can run a fan on batteries but I wish there was an affordable gas propane A/C unit.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The BCNP is a beautiful place and the slow flowing water is clean and clear. Heres where I bath, while Im working. One I day I found a little surprise lurking in the culvert pipe at my swimming hole, waiting for an easy meal (me). >:( Pictures and story here. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,118938.0.html

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh, yeah... they aren't the most inviting creatures to come across. ::)

Bran <><

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
godisnum1 said:
The artisan well is pretty awesome too!! I've been trying to find some places with freshwater springs that could possibly be places to retreat to should any type of disaster take place.

Bran <><
I believe artesian wells, often called flowing wells, were made by Florida cattle ranchers. You need to drill down to reach a water supply confined between two rock layers. I dont believe they are legal in the Tampa/St Pete area anymore because of water shortages and city demands on water. I was told old artesian wells in your area need to be plugged. We dont have any water shortage in the BCNP.

artesian well.jpg Artesian_Well_(PSF).png

If your looking for cheap country land try the Fisheating Creek/Palmdale area, Pioneer Plantation or Montura Ranches. Its pretty country and yes you can camp on it.. http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/701-Sweetwater_Clewiston_FL_33440_M67837-43880 http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/701-Sweetwater_Clewiston_FL_33440_M67837-43880

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool... never really read up on well systems much. I wouldn't ever think of installing a well here in St Pete though. If a disaster did happen, we would be leaving the city area and traveling to a location with an existing freshwater spring and enough forest area to hunt & fish. I'm not talking about a hurricane or anything minor, but something a little more serious. Under those circumstances, I would likely retreat to public land. And if I didn't just spend all of my savings on a beautiful custom made engagement ring for my fiance... I'd definitely love to acquire some of that land on that website! I'll be getting married in May, so my focus and priorities have shifted a good deal. But I'll always keep a backup plan... :wink:

Bran <><

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
The camping I have done have been out of necessity when I had to. I had a Honda cb500 fully dressed and I carried all I needed to live. When winter came there were no jobs on the MS gulf coast back then they didn't have gaming so there was no work. I would drive my bike to Atlanta for work the town was booming how things have changed. Now I live in one of the top 8 cities they say Baton Rouge La.
When I camped then I had a tent but since I have had major back surgery and the only camping I can do now is hammock they make these tent hammocks you string it up and you are very comfy. I dream of taking my boat into the swamp stringing my hammock over the water and spending the night there. Just so I can say that I did it. :coffee2:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
godisnum1 said:
Under those circumstances, I would likely retreat to public land.
I thought it about and I think its better to have private land that you can defend. You could be run off of public land or worse. :dontknow: You could be forced into a refugee camp or a long line with everyone else thats displaced.

If you feel that way, you should learn how to make a well and everything else thats needed to survive.

Congratulations you look like a great couple. :icon_thumright:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdltpx said:
I dream of taking my boat into the swamp stringing my hammock over the water and spending the night there. Just so I can say that I did it. :coffee2:

The brand I favor is ENO (Eagle Nest Outfitters)
http://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com

DSC_8012.jpg

Alot of people like the Hennesy brand as well and talk highly of them...

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
godisnum1 said:
I thought it about and I think its better to have private land that you can defend. You could be run off of public land or worse. :dontknow: You could be forced into a refugee camp or a long line with everyone else thats displaced.

If you feel that way, you should learn how to make a well and everything else thats needed to survive.

I agree, it would be more beneficial to have your own private land... but coming across good property with a natural spring head on it is gonna cost you quite a bit. Outside of that, buying land just likely won't be in my cards for a long while. And I don't really think we're going to have that long before one of the MANY factors break and end life as we know (or knew) it. I do know one thing, I will not be run off or forced into a "camp" by anyone... not with my Mini-14 & 30rd mags anyway.

As far as survival techniques, I've been studying/researching for 3 years or more... ever since Timberwolf used to be around. He opened my eyes to many things way back then. Knowing how to install a well would be beneficial, unless (and that's a strong "unless") you're forced to bug out and move locations. The best thing to do is to be able to procure a clean or semi-clean water source and be able to treat or filter it yourself so that you have potable water wherever you're at. I'm actually looking at getting a Katadyn Pocket Microfilter for that exact purpose. 13,000 gallons should be enough for myself and possibly one other person for an LONG period of time.

Bran <><

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
godisnum1 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
godisnum1 said:

You are so correct PEAK OIL has passed and the rest is down hill. No amount of diplomacy can stop the food shortages that are going to occur due to lack of inexpensive oil. I have seen many examples of what can be done to provide fuel for propelled vehicles from electric for short runners to bio diesel produced by algee for the larger machines. That is fuel for machines what most over look is all the other stuff we make with oil remove cheap oil and you have no fertilizer as we know it that means less corn is produced then that has to mean less cows will be sustained in turn we will see less and less until billions that require the government subsidized system of producing cheap food because of cheap oil shall stop. Like it or not according to some the earth can only support a billion people how true that is remains to be seen. There is aquaponics where fish and veggies are grown but that requires foresight and some education now while we have a abundance of piping not later when PVC is so expensive no one would be able to afford the setup. Our leaders are failing us miserably they are not getting ahead of the issue PEAK OIL.

I honestly believe this economy was halted to save fuel they decided to put the brakes on non essential works by derailing the economy. If you recall Jimmy Carter tried to get our consumption under control he was well on the way. The American people wanted to believe that oil would always be there and soon they will find out in a bad way that it can't. If they let us duke it out so be it my fear is they try the camps like you said or worse some bean counter says the world needs to shed xyz this content kill your x this continent kill your y and you kill your z to meet the quota. If they do this then they might just send out the crop duster to spread anthrax over flight paths of a few planes and that would be all they need do. They claim that 2 grams of that stuff can kill around 650K people. They love that because the spores are deadly but don't replicate so they would kill any that came in contact. You are correct to be prepared I think the pyramid scheme is to be finally found out by June2011 by then who knows what they will reveal but they can't keep this under wraps too much longer.
I agree, it would be more beneficial to have your own private land... but coming across good property with a natural spring head on it is gonna cost you quite a bit. Outside of that, buying land just likely won't be in my cards for a long while. And I don't really think we're going to have that long before one of the MANY factors break and end life as we know (or knew) it. I do know one thing, I will not be run off or forced into a "camp" by anyone... not with my Mini-14 & 30rd mags anyway.

As far as survival techniques, I've been studying/researching for 3 years or more... ever since Timberwolf used to be around. He opened my eyes to many things way back then. Knowing how to install a well would be beneficial, unless (and that's a strong "unless") you're forced to bug out and move locations. The best thing to do is to be able to procure a clean or semi-clean water source and be able to treat or filter it yourself so that you have potable water wherever you're at. I'm actually looking at getting a Katadyn Pocket Microfilter for that exact purpose. 13,000 gallons should be enough for myself and possibly one other person for an LONG period of time.

Bran <><

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
IMO you cannot defend land that is not yours. Martial law may require you to move no matter how much ammo you are carrying. As a homeless transient, you may have to keep moving and hiding like a criminal and who wants to live like that?

Ive been studying survival much longer than 30 yrs. As far as needing a natural spring, not true. You can obtain water anywhere here in Florida and many other places by pounding a steel pipe into the ground and installing a hand pump. Carrying a portable filter is good also.

Land is cheap right now. Foreclosures are everywhere. I suggest to take advantage of the situation. I agree that we may have reached PEAK OIL and our wasteful unbridaled consumption must and will come to an end.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be protecting or defending the land, only my person and those with me. IMO, I don't think any agency would be patrolling forest areas. There would likely be too much for them all to handle in cities alone... and if there were riots or Marshall Law declared, I can't see those officers leaving their families unprotected while they handle the riots. Of course that's IF there's mass rioting across many states and cities in the US from a MAJOR event/disaster. But again, I highly doubt they'll be patrolling forest areas of any kind. Let's be honest though... even right now, there are thousands upon thousands of homeless Americans doing exactly that. And outside of cities, not many are even being dealt with or asked to leave; except for homeless people that are in, close to, or on the outskirts of developed city areas.

All of this is just scenarios and "war-gaming"... there are no perfect plans or guaranteed promises for myself or anyone else. If anything did happen, we'll just have to do our best to make it through.

How far would you have to "pound a steel pipe into the ground" to get to a proper level with clean water? And what equipment would you use?

Since I'm getting married, there just won't be the finances to purchase land. We'll have to focus on an apartment or condo for the time being. I'd love to purchase some land though. I've wanted to for quite some time now. And I would agree that now is the perfect time to buy it.

Bran <><

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A lot to think about. I guess we wont really know until it happens. I would imagine thousands of people will have the same idea to head to the country, until they run out of gas stranded in a traffic jam along the highway somewhere. It happens every hurricane lol.

Land and a home is your single most important purchase you will ever make in your lifetime. Now is definitely the time to buy even if you have to borrow. Interest rates have NEVER been this low. I wish someone had given me this advice when I was a young man. But rates were nowhere near this low.

Here in South Florida you only have to pound a pipe in the ground about 12 feet. Dig a hole and you will probably reach the water table. Deeper the better but a hand pump will only pump about 25 feet. A spring can be polluted by one person defecating upstream.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Back to the subject of tents has anyone ever had a bear, raccoon, snake or any other animal try to enter their tent?

Attachments

• rattlesmake.jpg
    rattlesmake.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 568

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might have the idea to do it, but I bet most won't... and the ones that will try won't last long anyway 'cause they probably aren't used to not having their modern amenities found here in the city. And I'm prepared to travel and/or hike out if I have to. We'll just stay away from highways, roads, and avoid city areas. But again, we'll know when it happens.

I agree with the interest rates being so low and I've thought of it before... but my main hesitation is what will happen if/when the dollar completely collapses? If the economy tanks, alot of people will want to collect on their debt one way or another. Losing our home or land wouldn't be the best thing in my mind. :-\

Thanks for the great advice on the well! I'll have to look more into doing that. And about the spring, I'm talking about the spring head coming directly out of the ground. I know of two lakes already where this occurs, but I'd rather head to a river where I could access the actual spring head before it flows downstream like you said. That's just what I've thought about. I think I enjoy scenarios way too much and trying to think over solutions to possible problems.

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Back to the subject of tents has anyone ever had a bear, raccoon, snake or any other animal try to enter their tent?

A bear while I was camping up in Missouri. It eventually went on its way, which is good because all I had on me was a pack knife.

Bran <><

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
At this point owning a home is cheaper than renting. The problem is that so many people are unemployed or have ruined their credit and thats why so many homes are on the market. Its a chance of a lifetime for those that can qualify. Its an oppurtunity that may not come around again.

A spring head would be a beautiful place to camp but there are so few of them.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
bigcypresshunter said:
At this point owning a home is cheaper than renting. The problem is that so many people are unemployed or have ruined their credit and thats why so many homes are on the market. Its a chance of a lifetime for those that can qualify. Its an oppurtunity that may not come around again.

A spring head would be a beautiful place to camp but there are so few of them.

Snake pic from Everglades:
That sure is a nice snake paw paw.

Housing is an interesting thing in laws family all of them live in very nice homes they come to our home (82 trailer need remodel) they shake their heads. They know we have money for a solid down payment credit that would get us into any place we choose. We paid off all our debt last year and we like it that way. We are not in danger in this place we are just not cool/shiek I say so what never was cool and if they don't like our home they can stay in theirs with all their stress. Would love to own a better place but the kid likes her school and friends she is 11 makes great grades always honor roll sometimes 4.0 not about to take her elsewhere until she says she rather go.
I no longer work after major back surgery and knee surgery then this economic down turn I just ain't as purty to the employers, so I applied for the disability they offered me 10 years ago.

Only problem is I think this economy will implode long before I am approved for it. Guess I should have taken it when it was offered? I could have but I wanted to work to earn the cash to build the dome home but employers want people that will not miss a day they are not willing to work with you on this the jobs I did get were way too hard hitting for me to keep on 80 hour weeks of pure perfection in transportation we made product move. If your knee blows out and you need 2 weeks to rehab it they just go hire another. I can fully understand hat is why I don't go buy my own truck I know I could have back or knee issue and if I don't have a back up driver my credit is then ruined.
I hear north of the Mason Dixon there are houses that are being sold for $1-6K real nice older homes that just have no one to live in them because the economy has turned for the worse and those areas are loaded with people that rather steal a nickel than earn a dollar. It is tempting to buy a house somewhere and have it JIC we have another hurricane that finally wipes us out but I had a piece of land that was the size of a postage stamp I was going to build a small house (25x25) on it when I accumulated the cash but the city 70380 would send me bills for $300 for cutting the grass ect and I got fed up and sold the thing when the Realtor asked me what I wanted for the property I said anything over 0. They were cutting grass on a lot 2 houses down but if you are not there to represent yourself you just better sell it to the creeps and get some money for it because they will drain you dry trying to keep that tiny property. Later after the sale one of the city maintence workers admitted that they put the wrong address on their forms and that is how I was charged, the neighbors were cutting my yard to use it for parking that was the agreement we had but when I got that bill I gave up said city of Morgan City La could go down in flames I would not piss on the town. Hence why places get worse and worse because of municipalities that see an opportunity to rob you and do. So the good people leave and NEVER come back.
Another reason we never bought a traditional home is we want a concrete dome home since they are fire resistant hurricane tornado proof they are near disaster proof we figure if we are going to spend 100K on a place we were going to get a real investment one that paid us back with energy savings as well. I can't tell you if we will ever get that dome home the banks will not lend you money for one(they need a local example to get an appraisal to see bla bla) no matter how good your credit. And if we are destroyed here well we might just leave the area and buy elsewhere where they have basements if I can get a basement then who needs a dome home you have the earth to protect you.
I play the Louisiana lottery on the slim chance that we just might luck up and get that boost of cash to build the home we want so in around 400thousand years we should have the money that way? All I know is this it is raining right now the kid just came home she had food to eat we are warm safe and dry we shall ride the horse that brought us.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
When I say "home" or "house" I meant house, mobile home, tarpaper shack whatever as long as you own the land. :icon_thumright: Absolutely I agree do not get into something you cannot afford. Thats not hard to do now with "homes" so inexpensive.

My brother built a dome home, big mistake. Dome homes are a bad dream. I talk about it later no time now...

...another dome home mistake:

Attachments

• dome home cape romano.jpg
    dome home cape romano.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 631

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread