Does everybody tent camp?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:

Yeah, my friend showed me that video a couple months ago... what's kinda weird about it is that he makes complete sense about all of it. The only thing I didn't care for was the push to purchase stuff from him. The information in the video was very good thing. Who knows, maybe that's why I was led towards survival and prepping information 3 or 4 years ago. I wasn't sure why... but after watching how things have unfolded right up until the 2008 elections and (obviously) after. I'm really not surprised by much anymore. As for me and my house, we will do what we know we need to... and trust God to keep us where we need to be.

Thanks for posting the link.

Bran <><

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Army bag that is also it's own tent if need be. I use that as I can move quick and do not have to carry a heavy load. I already have enough .

As to owning a house , well had all that and land also. It was a nightmare , I made enough money but the cost and taxes just kept going up . I was in a town just East of Springfield Mo. Lived there most of my life after getting married .
I sold the house and land just in time, the Factory that I was head Engineer in sold out after 55 years in the U.S . Moved it all over seas to Asia .
The Town lost close to 350 jobs and that was a big hit on that town . The rest of the Company's have closed up and left or went under in the last two and a half years.
I saw that the bank took the land and house back from the people that bought it from us, and one other person after that.

I have found that it is a lot cheaper to rent than to own , now there are exceptions to this but for us we have saved a lot of money.
I have had to move once from a rental home as the owner lost it to the bank in the downfall of the economy .
Yes you can buy a home cheap now that is for sure , but with the job market the way it is and the way company's are leaving or shutting down you better have a lot of cash in the bank just in case .

AS to camping , well we spend months on the rivers around the U.S and I love it. We are moving back to Alaska this summer and I think we will just stay there. It is one of the few places where you can still live and eat if it gets really bad . It's not perfect but you can make it .

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daedalus said:
I have an Army bag that is also it's own tent if need be. I use that as I can move quick and do not have to carry a heavy load. I already have enough .

As to owning a house , well had all that and land also. It was a nightmare , I made enough money but the cost and taxes just kept going up . I was in a town just East of Springfield Mo. Lived there most of my life after getting married .
I sold the house and land just in time, the Factory that I was head Engineer in sold out after 55 years in the U.S . Moved it all over seas to Asia .
The Town lost close to 350 jobs and that was a big hit on that town . The rest of the Company's have closed up and left or went under in the last two and a half years.
I saw that the bank took the land and house back from the people that bought it from us, and one other person after that.

I have found that it is a lot cheaper to rent than to own , now there are exceptions to this but for us we have saved a lot of money.
I have had to move once from a rental home as the owner lost it to the bank in the downfall of the economy .
Yes you can buy a home cheap now that is for sure , but with the job market the way it is and the way company's are leaving or shutting down you better have a lot of cash in the bank just in case .

AS to camping , well we spend months on the rivers around the U.S and I love it. We are moving back to Alaska this summer and I think we will just stay there. It is one of the few places where you can still live and eat if it gets really bad . It's not perfect but you can make it .

That's a pretty sad story... but pretty cool that it was so close to Springfield. I went to college and lived up there for 6 years, and I'll be having my wedding up there in a couple of months. I agree with your assessment on renting... I really think it's the most financially responsible thing to do.

Bran <><

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Daedalus said:
godisnum1 said:
That's a pretty sad story... but pretty cool that it was so close to Springfield. I went to college and lived up there for 6 years, and I'll be having my wedding up there in a couple of months. I agree with your assessment on renting... I really think it's the most financially responsible thing to do.
Im not sure how you guys can say that because you get zero dollars back from renting. :icon_scratch: Thats a BIG FAT ZERO!! And you will pay the rest of your life as it will never be paid off and if you lose your job Im sure your landlord will not let you stay.

When you own, you get your money back when you sell, usually a nice hefty profit to boot. As far as the taxes, you dont pay much (unless you live in a mansion) with a homestead exemption and all the taxes and interest are deductible. You will never get ahead in this world renting and thats a fact but there are exceptions such as buying at the wrong time when prices were inflated or getting stuck in a high interest predatory loan. I was just trying to help but if your happy never owning anything important then thats your choice.

After 15 years of renting you will have NOTHING and you will kick yourself in the arse because you could have a house paid for in that time period.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
godisnum1 said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Yeah, my friend showed me that video a couple months ago... what's kinda weird about it is that he makes complete sense about all of it. The only thing I didn't care for was the push to purchase stuff from him. The information in the video was very good thing. Who knows, maybe that's why I was led towards survival and prepping information 3 or 4 years ago. I wasn't sure why... but after watching how things have unfolded right up until the 2008 elections and (obviously) after. I'm really not surprised by much anymore. As for me and my house, we will do what we know we need to... and trust God to keep us where we need to be.

Thanks for posting the link.

Bran <><
I thought you guys might like it. Kinda scary. I didnt hear the end, its so long.. What was he selling?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bigcypresshunter said:
I agree with your assessment on renting... I really think it's the most financially responsible thing to do.
To put it another way, it cost here in South Florida at least $1200/month to rent a house. That same house can be bought for $500/month taxes included and you will own it in 15 years. How can renting possibly be financially responsible? :icon_scratch:

Now if you are staying with family until you can get a better job or save some money thats cool but renting is no longer the best option. The reason most people are stuck in a rental situation is because their credit is bad or they cant raise the down payment. Nobody said life was fair. Some people are stuck and they have no choice but to rent.

I hope I have explained it well. :)

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a camper - which has now been relegated to "visitors to our home can stay here" status.

We've had several campers, in several different sizes. Campers are ok for a "base camp" type of thing, but, truthfully, the only time we take a
camper is if it is a trip like an elk hunt. (base camp).

For everything else, a camper will not go where we want to drive.

If you pack an air mattress, make sure you carry a patch kit - everyplace I have ever gone with an air mattress (years ago, don't use one now), has poked it - through the tarp, through the tent floor and through the mattress. Not to mention, the air in them is VERY cold when
you are camping someplace that gets down there in temps at night.

Better a closed cell pad, imo, much lighter to pack (for an otd like me), and are much less susceptible to those rocks and stones that grow in the middle of the night, up through the floor and into some unsuspecting part of your anatomy.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Better a closed cell pad, imo, much lighter to pack (for an otd like me), and are much less susceptible to those rocks and stones that grow in the middle of the night, up through the floor and into some unsuspecting part of your anatomy.

Is there a specific brand & model you suggest for a closed-cell pad? I was looking at some not too long ago...

Bran <><

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I always tent camped til I hurt my back. Now it is a travel trailer.
Five advantages to a trailer.
1. Way quicker to set up, frees up time for detecting etc.
2. On long trips you can sleep in rest stops, grocery shopping centers etc.
3. Can carry more equipment, food etc.
4. In bad weather you can stay inside, look over maps etc., don't have to go home.
5. If you want the family along they usually prefer a trailer
Downside: You can't get as far into the wilderness as tent camping.
Rich

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, Bran,

I missed your question.

I think the one is a Wenzel, the other one is a (newer) is a Thermarest (therm-a-rest?).

I also made one of my own, buying closed cell foam, putting 2 together, and then sewing them into a bag. That one is actually the best - double the comfort, but, is heavier than the other two. I keep it in the SUV when we sleep in there, but, I take the others when backpacking. (the older I get, the more important lighter weight is).

Most of our trips entail NOT being able to go home when its raining or the weather is bad, so we have learned how to read maps, etc., in the tent.
I love the new LED tent light that they have now. It's fairly flat, definitely light, and hangs at the peak of the tent (the flatness means I'm not banging my head on it 10 times a night. It also has 3 different settings, and the batteries seem to last forever (so far). It makes perfect light for reading.

This year, I am making a new tent. I'm taking our old tent apart, using the pieces as a pattern (it is perfect size for 2 people and 3 dogs), but I am
going to make it out of a different material - I'm wavering between gortex and canvas. It will be a "base camp tent". The old tent we had was just perfect for a base camp, but, after having it for about 14 years, it didn't hold up to the elements :dontknow: And, also, when the weather was crappy, it was too sheer and I was not particularly happy with the rain fly. (that design will be changed by me).

Beth

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
retiree said:
Sounds like most everyone tent camps. I use to but after a while my back couldn't handle it
any more. Even with a air mattress. My family and I didn't want to stop camping so we
bought a travel trailer.

I am a camper maniac. We camp all the time.

My life was
big tent and pulled the bass boat
bought slide in truck camper (nice one) and pulled the boat
then had kid, decided to buy small travel trailer
then got bigger travel trailer
NOW we have a big TT with slideouts

lol

I love luxury camping and we hit the beach as much as we can. I metal detect the beach, kiddo has a blast, and hubby surf fishes. win win for everyone --best of all I travel with my home. I just love it to the max! :)

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9:

That's not "camping", thats the "turtle effect" (my uncle used to say that) - carrying your home around with you! (comfy, though)

:headbang:

Beth

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well I have to admit after an entire lifetime of tent camping, I finally bought an old Scotty camper for my work in the Everglades. I no longer worry about the bears and panthers and I even have a flush toilet. :D I come home once a week for supplies and laundry. I guess Im old and spoiled and from now on I tent camp only in remote areas and only for a few days at a time.. I like the turtle effect.

I still prefer my tent shower.

Attachments

• turkey 2011-2.jpg
    turkey 2011-2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 380
  • turkey 2011-1.jpg
    turkey 2011-1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 381

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
mrs.oroblanco said:
Nice little "home".

One question - just where is that "poop shoot" draining to?????

Beth
As an employee, the park supplies me with an underground septic tank. I take my job seriously and welcome any facilities that they can supply to me.. I love the BigCypress Preserve and will do anything to help protect this beautiful area. Unfortunately I have no internet at this time lol.

Tourists and hunters in campers need to take their wastes to a dump station for about $6 I believe they can dump down by Everglades City about 25 miles away.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool that you don't have to drag it to a dump station - been there and done that - it gets old - very quickly.

Its nice that they have some "comfort" facilities for you to use.

I'm curious because we had an offer to do something similar - and that was part of our equation to not do it. (they didn't offer that little bit of comfort).

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread