Does everybody tent camp?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I don't really go "camping" just for the sake of camping. Although when I'm in the back country prospecting for days at a time, the only shelter I take is a small tent and I live off the land as much as possible. It's pretty primitive and I love it.

When the kids were small I used to take them camping and fishing and we would each set up our own tent and usually stay only a couple of days. When they got older we stayed maybe a week.

There is nothing like the great outdoors no matter what you choose to camp in. Just get out there and experience nature and be FREEEeeeeeee!

GG~

claymation

Oct 14, 2007
NM
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use tents for almost all camping, I kind of would like a camper for winter though. I looking into a hammock\tent for cycling right now.

OP
OP
retiree

retiree

Mar 18, 2009
Grand Prairie,Texas
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Goodyguy said:
I guess I don't really go "camping" just for the sake of camping. Although when I'm in the back country prospecting for days at a time, the only shelter I take is a small tent and I live off the land as much as possible. It's pretty primitive and I love it.

When the kids were small I used to take them camping and fishing and we would each set up our own tent and usually stay only a couple of days. When they got older we stayed maybe a week.

There is nothing like the great outdoors no matter what you choose to camp in. Just get out there and experience nature and be FREEEeeeeeee!

GG~
Experiencing the great outdoors is exactly right. We are always outside of our camper even if it's just relaxing in a chair reading
a book. I see alot of people pull into their site put out the satalite dish and you hardly ever see them out. What a waist.

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
Tent camp all the time. Always bring a good tarp though, as important as the tent.

However, have fallen asleep beside the fire more than once....might be the effects of the 'fire-water' !!

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Still a tent camper always will be. My sisters and parents all have motorhomes and trailers, just doesn't feel like camping to me. I've got to figure out some way to hook up a A/C during the summer, don't mind the heat during the day but sure is nice to sleep in the A/C.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok? Here at our camp at 4-h the kids stay in cabins and we are quite content on calling it camping.....to each his own. Although, every year after camp ends we take a long road trip for 2 weeks. Hike in with a tent with basic nessecities and...breathe

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from a camping trip yesterday... it's always a good time to get away and confirm to myself that I can live away from everything and everyone, and be just fine without any modern conveniences. :)
Now if I only had a reason to do that permanently....

Bran <><

OP
OP
retiree

retiree

Mar 18, 2009
Grand Prairie,Texas
Detector(s) used
ace 250
4-H staff said:
Ok? Here at our camp at 4-h the kids stay in cabins and we are quite content on calling it camping.....to each his own
My daughter goes to Girl Scout camp a couple of times each summer. This year she
is going to be a camp aide. they have cabins also. As long as you can get outside, learn some
out door skills and enjoy yourself it doesn't matter what you sleep in. It's all camping.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
After going camping with my son a couple years ago, a friend of his asked him if he could borrow our tent. My son came home perplexed because he had no idea what a tent was. we Have always made our shelters on site, using site based materials. Everything from wood to grass, leaves, moss,stones, snow, ice, sticks and mud.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
After going camping with my son a couple years ago, a friend of his asked him if he could borrow our tent. My son came home perplexed because he had no idea what a tent was. we Have always made our shelters on site, using site based materials. Everything from wood to grass, leaves, moss,stones, snow, ice, sticks and mud.

You have my vote for best primitive camper. :notworthy:

GG~

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I tent camped for years,then got a camper, now have gone back to tent camping....but,I did buy a thick pad from Gander Mountain to save my back. Camped on the rocks a week last July on the Buffalo River and my back felt great!

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:) I am sure everybody does not tent camp and some people
probably have no desire to experience it.

To each their own, I have stayed in trailers and pickup campers, they have there place at times and are fun and convenient, especially in Bear country
where you can get a secure nights sleep without keeping an ear perched on watch all night long for the intruder.

Tent camping

Everyone should experience this activity, it is the basic survival art that helps
you to appreciate any improvement toward contentment. :read2:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tent camp. I can afford to buy an RV or a camper, but it ain't the same to me. I see people with them, and they seem to be havin a good time and are outdoors, so that's alright too. Between the first divorce and the second marriage, I lived in a tipi for about 4 years, then when I moved back inside I camped every single weekend. Sometimes I took my tent, but mostly I just needed an 8x10 tarp in case it rained. I liked to fall asleep by the fire, looking up at the stars. I never have been bothered by animals, even up here where bears make the news for eating people. I would recommend a tipi for extended camping, if you have a place to store one. I don't know. Maria made me buy one of these air mattresses, and I kind of like those.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having been a Boy Scout for what seemed like a millon years, the tent is the finest way to go. Never used an air mattress either, just a plastic underliner to keep the sleeping bag dry. If I did feel uncomfortable I would just make a mattress of leaves. The tent I used was a 2 man Overnighter. I also pefered to live off the land which wasn't difficult after scout trainning and surival classes from Ken Cole. I had attended Mr Coles surival classes and upon completion got his autographed book. Learned a great deal of tricks to make camping a snap. I haven't camped in years, but if I had the friends interested in camping today, I would be out there in a heartbeat.

You gave me an idea for a new post, with a good question. I'll supply the answer in PM to those who are interested. It will be fun.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tent camped until one winter when I nearly froze my buns off in Colorado! Now I have a small 19 1/2 ft campint trailer with all the amenities. Wouldn't go back for nothing. Monty

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, come on back up Monty! It's down in the 20's every night now. You just need to buy a better sleeping bag. I know I'm a sissy for havin the air mattress. It was a compromise I had to make with the wife, and it saved me from havin to buy a camping trailer. Before, I just put the bed on the ground and about 15 years ago I come up one one of the military foam pads, which is pretty good. I'm kinda spoiled by the air mattress now. I really do need to come up with a good CANVAS tent for campin up here, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread