spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did see that several took the time to read with no answer, so here it is.

You use what is known as the Napoleon method. Stand at the edge of the bank and place either hand over your brow and line up the opposite bank. Then just turn 45 degrees and make a reference point on land and pace it out. Almost the same principal as in playing golf ;D

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Real de Tayopa said:
Hi Spartacus: You forgot to add the locking in data. As it is, it is variable.

Don Jose de La Mancha
Don't think I want to risk my life on his good advice .
Jim

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I do not think I want to try that either . . . . :P

"Stand at the edge of the bank and place either hand over your brow and line up the opposite bank. Then just turn 45 degrees".

If you are facing the divide, be it a canyon or water, and you turn only 45 degrees, and walk, you will soon fall over the side! :laughing7:

Joking aside though, easiest way to do this is use trigonometry. That is one of the methods surveyors and astronomers use to ascertain distance. If you use the Pathagorean method, a^2 + b^2 = c^2, you could site a point on the opposite shore, walk along the bank until you have reached a point that is exactly 45 degrees in relation to the sited point, (provided that the bank is even and parallel) and then you would have your distance. That is probably what he is trying to say.

In a 45/45 degree triangle, the hypotenuse would be the distance to the original point from your final position. The two other sides would be the distance from the first siting point to the place you were originally standing, and the other side would be the distance you walked to get to a 45 degree angle, both sides being equal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread