Edible berries

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know and recognize most edible berries, but if in doubt I just do a taste test, if it doesn't taste right I don't eat it. Of course I am only talking about berries common to North America where just a taste wont kill you. Don't even try the white ones.

GG~

* Added
Thanks for the PM on a foolproof edible berry tell spartacus53, :icon_thumright:
When are you going to let the rest of the t-netters in on it?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Berries white, poison in sight' worked in the part of the country I came from. I once thought if I saw animals eating berries, I could too, but that turns out to be not necessarily so. I now know and can identify all the ones I can eat safely, but I guess if I hadn't grown up that way and had no outdoor experience, I wouldn't have a clue.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry that I never followed up with how to distinguish the berries.....

This will hold true for all fruit :headbang:

All edible berries and fruit will have a star... Cut any fruit in half and you will see a star formation. YOu must cut the fruit in 1/2 in its circumference ....

Berries are the same way... You will see a star formation on the bottom part, poison berries will all have a circle..

Happy eating!!!!

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
OK, quick quiz:

One of these is edible, the other is not. Both grow in the same areas. Can you tell which is which ?

Diggem'

Attachments

• berries1.jpg
    berries1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,822
OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give it my best shot since I am not able to see the whole berry. But what from I can see the one one the left is poisonous... There is a clearly marked circle on the top by the berry... The one to it's right I am not able to see the stem portion, but I believe the stems will be star shaped...

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
In the woods a lot of edible berries. It raspberries, blueberries, stone berry, cranberries. Just be aware of the forest and that it grows..

brusnika.jpg

Cowberry.

0_1739_c3b49812_XL

raspberry

getImage.do

Blueberry forest

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumped for the newer members here. It's always good to know this, just in case :icon_thumleft:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told this but don't know for sure....
"If the birds eat them then so can we!"

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flyadive, In this case it's best to listen to me. A prime example is from a deer that can eat mountain laurel and no harm will come to them. The again, it has no nourishment for them either, and just fill their stomachs. Now if we were to eat it, you would get rather sick and can possible die. :tongue3:

My above method will work for any fruit, or berry.. The best thing is you can also check every food you consume and see I'm right :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread