Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One tip I will pass on to all the novice campers here. 'Pack it in, pack it out.' I was down in Oklahoma last week and saw the aftermath of the memorial day weekend. Lots of trash left. Of course it was left on top of trash from the week before, and the year before, probably. Extinguish your campfires. Always leave an area better than you found it. It ain't that hard to do and don't take much time on your part.

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree 100%.
take care and be safe out there. ron

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I've always took out what I took in and I agree everyone should do the same. Actually everything you took in will be lighter and take up smaller space on the way out it is empty sheeesh When I go into the mountains to fly fish I pick up what others left behind.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kids and the ex-wife used to hate me because when we went camping I would make them all 'police the area' before we left. (Well, the ex hated me for more reasons than that, apparently) We picked up everything whether it was ours or not. I was just disgusted after going to Oklahoma last week and actually amazed at the amount of trash people could generate after two nights and just leave it more or less piled up. I picked up a lot but no way I could get it all. I bet their houses are spotless. Then again, maybe not. When I worked as a state park ranger, one excuse I heard for leaving an area trashed was 'Well, y'all got people hired to clean that up.' Maybe, but your mamma don't work here, so clean up after yourself. I enjoyed issuing littering citations, even though the DA would usually dismiss them. 'Well, after all, you did make them pick up the trash, so I think they learned a lesson...'

Jun 2, 2010
Hi RGINN,
You are right. We all should care about it. It could be better to go with limited items, use trash can and properly clean the camping area before leaving.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
I enjoyed issuing littering citations, even though the DA would usually dismiss them. 'Well, after all, you did make them pick up the trash, so I think they learned a lesson...'

That's mighty generous of the DA not to prosecute them for littering, I guess he decides what laws are OK to bend, or break. Getting a ticket in addition to some doing some civil service would be a lesson and I would have told the DA that in a courteous manner. :icon_thumleft:

Whenever and wherever I camped, I left the site in better condition then when I arrived. Besides being the law not to litter, it's just common courtesy.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best advise to listen to.
Thank you for posting this friend.
We try to teach the kids here not to litter, and to pick up for others that do.
Pack it in...Pack it out!

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
Not to mention in many cases you may be camping on private property and not know it. There is TONS of land in the mountains around Spokane that belongs to various private timber interests. Much of it is open to use year round. Nothing says that have to let us be there, they could just as easily put up gates and no trespassing signs. We always clean up after ourselves and others when camping or even when out on a day trip 4x4ing, panning, etc

-Lance

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Daddy always told me "If you can carry it in full... Surely you can carry it out empty". Thanx Dad.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
jimmy5503 said:
My Daddy always told me "If you can carry it in full... Surely you can carry it out empty". Thanx Dad.

Yep but you know how stupid people can be. I take out what I take in and then some thanks to the idiots who don't agree with our thinking.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to add one more thing, while we are talking about camping.

Bring your shovel and use it, please - I'm so tired of covering other peoples latrines.

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread