Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    2372 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Gator Head

Quote Originally Posted by bigcypresshunter
    Quote Originally Posted by pat-tekker-cat
    BCH, quick question, not gator or snake related, but, kinda sorta,

Is Army Corps not concerned, with this lizard population explosion, we got happening here too?
    As in the holes they are digging into the canals here, compromising the bank structures?
    I didnt hear anything about it.
    Well I'm comforted now!
    As a taxpayer, I got a few issues, like them 5 ft long lizards, and, I know who tore up my glades, up and down 27, along Palm Bch Cty, but whose gonna fix it? And when?

I mean, I know that this may not be "your" department, but these are two concerns, some discuss amongst themselves, around town, and wonder.
    Maybe you can present these ideas to the higher ups, as "their" great ideas, and see if they could get all the credit, for fixing it? LOL!

Be a friend and hero! LOL!
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    877 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

What 5 foot lizards are you referring to? Iguanas, Gators or Nile Monitors?

Charter Member
    us

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    2372 times

What 5 foot lizards are you referring to? Iguanas, Gators or Nile Monitors?
    If you ride down Griffin/Orange drive, Brwrd Cty, there are giant lizards, all up and down the canals.
    Also from St Rd 84, going into Park City MHP, there's a canal on the left, these things are taking over!
    I'm sure there are many others, I don't see!
    Iguanas I think, and they dig thier homes, back into the canal banks, comprimising the integrity of the banks, unless they riprap'ed or rocked in heavily.

Plus, they real ugly, I coulda almost SWORE, I saw a monitor lizard monster the other week.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times

Ah OK. Yes I have seen the huge iguanas on Griffin Rd. and Orange Drive. Truthfully I have never seen an iguana in the Everglades/Big Cypress region. I dont know why they only seem to survive in town. Ill ask around. I didnt know anything about it. Thats why I like TN.... always learning something new.

Griffin Road has all kinds of lizards, Iguanas, Nile Monitors, Jesus lizards, all kinds released by several pet shops. Maybe not enough Pythons to eat them?

Have you heard an Anaconda was captured in the Big Cypress but may be an isolated case.

Charter Member
    us

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    2372 times

Ah OK. Yes I have seen the huge iguanas on Griffin Rd. and Orange Drive. Truthfully I have never seen an iguana in the Everglades/Big Cypress region. I dont know why they only seem to survive in town. Ill ask around. I didnt know anything about it. Thats why I like TN.... always learning something new.

Griffin Road has all kinds of lizards, Iguanas, Nile Monitors, Jesus lizards, all kinds released by several pet shops.
    Thank you! I could be worrying for nothing, but trying to look ahead, or at the bigger picture, lets don't wait till the damage is done, then wonder what to do.
    Little forthought, prevention, can be worth a pound of cure.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster
    1346 times

Old post, but I just saw it. You weren't there that long, so water really wasn't a life threatening concern. However, I thought it was a great narrative and felt like I was right there with you.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

LMAO @ Florida! As if all the violent crime wasn't bad enough, now there are man eating snakes on the loose. Eradicate them all with extreme prejudice.
    LMAO

Charter Member
    us

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    2372 times

Have you heard an Anaconda was captured in the Big Cypress but may be an isolated case.
    Yeah, isolated case, I'm sure! I didn't hear that one, but.......
    Ask that Comcast worker, if that green mamba, that bit him, being an isolated case, him being the one, in how many odds,
    did the odds matter?
    And they never found that snake either!
    I am VERY GLAD, we have the venom unit, here in Miami.

Be prepared for anything down here, Hombre, my friend! Ya never know!

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

Those snakes have got to go...
    LMAO

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times

Quote Originally Posted by RGINN
    Old post, but I just saw it. You weren't there that long, so water really wasn't a life threatening concern. However, I thought it was a great narrative and felt like I was right there with you.
    Thats probably true because because I can walk 20 miles a day even at my age. I never felt life threatened, was never lost or injured and I felt in comfortable surroundings.. I dont know how far I could walk on a hot day without water. Its just a story of one day in the woods alone.

I have pics on my celphone but I dont know how to send them to my email.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times

Quote Originally Posted by RGINN
    Thanks. Just one thing I wanted to add. I left at 5 AM walked/crawled 10 miles in and 10 miles back to reach my truck just before dark.. I dont know if it was life threatening or not... but one thing I know for sure... I was NOT going to walk back 10 miles in the hot sun without water. I can barely walk that distance properly prepared. Too many things can go wrong and nobody knew I was out there. Its a lesson in overconfidence. Things could have got ugly real fast. I would never have attempted that trip in a desert without sufficient water. Just sayin...

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times

Quote Originally Posted by hombre_de_plata_flaco
    Those snakes have got to go...
    The law states that they are to be killed on site in the National Parks.. They can not be captured or transported live. Kill them and dump them to the gators.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    1882 times

HIO those iguanas are very good eating. they are vegetarians. I have eaten many of them in southern Mexico in the past. The meat is white and has the usual chicken like taste. A 3 -4 footer will give enough meat for two hungry guys. Bon appetite'

Don Jose de la Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times

Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
    HIO those iguanas are very good eating. they are vegetarians. I have eaten many of them in southern Mexico in the past. The meat is white and has the usual chicken like taste. A 3 -4 footer will give enough meat for two hungry guys. Bon appetite'

Don Jose de la Mancha
    I have heard they are very good. They are all over town but I never see them in the Everglades and I dont know why.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    Another monster killed. I dont know why they call this size a record but 87 eggs probably is. Biologists Track Biggest Florida Python - 17-Footer with 87 Eggs - NYTimes.com

Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Aug 15, 2012 at 02:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsors