...DO YOU USE A CANOE OR KAYAK.........

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....Not exactly sure where to place this post.....but figured that it fit in with Camping better than in the ATV section.....LOL.....I use to enjoy Canoeing and even using a Kayak back when I was a lot younger....and have even used an inflatible craft.....I have been thinking that a Canoe/Kayak would be an option to get into some very hard to reach locations......except by hiking some 5 to 10 miles one way.................and since I am partially disabled.....my hiking is limited to a mile or two one way......I have a waterproof detector so getting the detector wet is Not a problem......I would like to hear any comments especially from anyone who uses this method a lot .....I have a lot of Rivers and some large Lakes in my area ................HH............Thanks Joe

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Hey Joe

Never tried boating in to do any detecting, but as an avid outdoors type, I would go with the canoe. Generally, easier to get in and out of, generally carries more weight, typically more stable than a kayak, easy to cartop on most vehicles, and so on. Stick with a shorter one if its mostly gonna be just you in it (less prone to wind steerage)

Let us know how it goes

Diggem'

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe(TX) said:
....Not exactly sure where to place this post.....but figured that it fit in with Camping better than in the ATV section.....LOL.....I use to enjoy Canoeing and even using a Kayak back when I was a lot younger....and have even used an inflatible craft.....I have been thinking that a Canoe/Kayak would be an option to get into some very hard to reach locations......except by hiking some 5 to 10 miles one way.................and since I am partially disabled.....my hiking is limited to a mile or two one way......I have a waterproof detector so getting the detector wet is Not a problem......I would like to hear any comments especially from anyone who uses this method a lot .....I have a lot of Rivers and some large Lakes in my area ................HH............Thanks Joe

I'm a paddling nut and have three canoes and a kayak. If you're talking about paddling several miles regularly, a good efficient hull is important.

I prefer the canoes in most cases due to the ease of getting gear in and out and the ability to more easily carry larger items. A metal detector would have to be broken down to fit in a normal kayak hatch, but if yours is waterproof, you could just strap it onto the deck rigging.

As for the comment about canoe length, I have the opposite opinion. My shortest canoe is a solo model (a Bell Magic) and is 16'. I guarantee you can cover a lot of water with a LOT less effort with a longer boat. Hull efficiency is directly related to the length/width ratio. The shorter and wider a canoe is, the less efficient it is. Also, a longer boat will track better, adding to the ease of paddling. A good hull design and proper weight distribution will minimize weathervaning.

As for kayaks, the same is pretty much true. I have a Wilderness Systems Pungo 140 (14') that is stable, hauls a lot of gear, and is probably the most efficient hull in its class of inexpensive rotomolded plastic kayaks. The shorter, wider kayaks are what most paddlers refer to as glorified pool toys and are not really suitable for covering lots of miles. I use my Pungo for saltwater fly fishing, recreational paddling and camping. It's a nice boat I'd highly recommend.

Good hunting,
desmobob

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a canoe and trekking fan, one good find I made (raven lamp) is while canoeing a river in Qc's North Shore, carried my detector to check for stuff left by our ancestors.

In the old days like today people would search for good spots to build a cabin or even to rest for the night they would also take in consideration the view on a river or a lake and specially windy spots where they could get away from the mosquitoes and black flies, good spots are points of land on a river or lake, it being out of the heavy brush left more space for wind to blow.

North Shore of St.Lawrence still is very wild and somewhat unexplored specially by treasure hunters and is also a vast territory so first explorers have been going up tributary rivers, as for the St. Lawrence many do not know that pirates would come in our waters and know even less what they left behind if THing is a dream it is also a reality and as we have often heard " never know what you can find " is just as true as the dream can be.

By best find is a RAVEN LAMP and you can see it on the site "My best Finds" post" Could you turn on the light please "

I have found utensils, square nails, small change from passing wilderness campers, pieces of broken dishes while digging etc.

Just a little bit of knowledge on the way our ancestors lived can open the door to many wonderfull surprises.

Attachments

• mini-054.JPG
    mini-054.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,023

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be glad to help or advise you in anyway.. I am a retired whitewater canoeist. I ran the roughest class four and five whitewater across the eastern u.s. and taught also led trips on some of America's most famous whitewater. The knees dont work well anymore. My second long trek canoe trip was at age 12. We ran The Neches River from Rayburn Dam B all the way down to I-10 ! 125 miles , 6 days , what a great memory of East Texas's Big Thicket !

Just want to say I lived in Texas and love those rivers there. I believe M.D. and Canoeing would be perfect partners. I have hunted and searched for civil war sites here in Chattanooga from a canoe. It is the perfect adventure !

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must be the minority. I enjoy kayaks. I have a water proof detector on the way (tomorrow hopefully!) and live just a few blocks from a river, have many creeks within a very few miles and plan on hunting the islands of the river very hard. I use a sit on top kayak and really like it.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One after thought of anyone reading this thread. Buy any type canoe ...but whatever you get....do not buy a Coleman Canoe. It has a safety problem. It is foot entrapment. Don't buy one or use one. It is very easy to get you feet stuck up under the seats. I have run whitewater canoe trips over 30 years. I know. stay away from them.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a Diablo 'Adios' and 'Chupacabra' for fly fishing skinny water here in the Texas Hill Country...it is absolutely the most stable kayak around, and performs flawlessly for fishing and, as it turns out, fresh water river detecting!

backwoods tracker

Jan 2, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally use a canoe. However, I carry quite a bit of gear as chances are I won't be going back to the house anytime soon once I hit the river.

joeiez

Mar 2, 2014
Depends. Use a kayak if your on a small day trip, and there's a couple of you. I normally go out with about 3 of us, and we paddle the canoe together. But, if you carry a lot of gear on your own, you should learn to solo canoe.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a kayak last season, used it a couple times to get me, my detector and gear out to scout some river and lake spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread