....What is something that is COMMONLY FORGOTTEN......to take ............

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always water bottles, filter, bite meds - but also just plain pain meds, and I have a doc that will give me a prescription of antibiotics before I leave - just in case.

Personally, I hate it if I forget toilet paper. (or don't have enough). :laughing7:

Beth

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
About 3 months ago I made a journey on foot down the San Francisco River in Arizona. The entire trip was around 60 miles from Glenwood New Mexico to the Blue River in the Apache SitGreaves Natl. Forest. Darned if i didn't forget to pick up a small bottle of bleach to purify my drinking water water. I don't use iodine because it can be toxic with prolonged use. Nor do i trust filters, after a particularly painful experience with ameobic dysntery ten years ago when a filter tube failed. They can be accidentally crushed or damaged in a backpack, then you are in a world of hurt.

Anyway, a trip that was supposed to take 15 or 20 days turned into a 40 day ordeal. I could only travel two days out of three and then i had to stop for a day and do nothing except boil water. Without drinking water, you don't get far in Arizona. It also took an extreme amount of firewood to keep the water in a metal pot boiling for thirty minutes. I should have remembered how easy it is to boil water in a 9 ounce clear plastic bottle suspended over a flame. Had i brought a couple of empty plastic water bottles instead of a metal camp pot, i could have travelled alot faster without so much work.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheNewCatfish,

I gotta agree on the bleach - but, in my case, I cannot stomach the taste of iodine tablets in water. Yukkkkk!

Gotta watch those plastic bottles over the fire to boil, too. Make sure you have the plastic bottle doesn't have those cancer causing properties - because it dissipates it right into your water.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5460366_plastic-bottles-dangerous.html

Beth

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snake bite kits are worthless. But if it gives you some peace of mind carry one. One thing I forgot to pack in my campin box was a good topical antibiotic and simple bandaids, which both would have been handy last night. Chopping kindling, the hatchet slipped and put a gash in my thumb which bled like a stuck hog. But I stopped the bleeding, boiled pine needles to disinfect the cut, then wrapped it up with duct tape. Amused my grandson to no end, but I will start the practice of keepin a more up to date first aid kit in the truck at his insistence.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rginn,

I have to agree - snake bite kits are good for one thing - they give you something to do while you are heading for a doctor. If you are bit by a venomous snake, one of the worst things you can do is getting panicky - it just hurries up the action of the venom. Though, if you have a kit with a REAL GOOD suction piece, that has its uses. (and not just for snake bites).

We always have our own made up first aid kit, we always have antibiotics (usually amoxicillin), and a good antibiotic cream, and I go absolutely nowhere without my epipen.

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread