Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a tip for all the greenhorns. I always took it for granted, but I have realized that a lot of folks would like to get out campin in a more primitive way, but just have no clue. Here's the most basic shelter of all, the lean-to. Two uprights and a horizontal. To attach the horizontal, I got a couple of clove hitches, a few wraps, and a couple of half hitches, but no need to get technical; granny knots will work. I'm using a 9x12 plastic tarp. I got canvas, but plastic is cheap and easier maintained. I tie the front up about 3 feet off the ground. I double the tarp back to the front for ground cover. You can stake the back, but I usually just put rocks back there to anchor it. In this case, there was a lot of downed timber available, so I put that log back there and pegged it so it wouldn't roll. Two things wrong with this pic. Right now, the wind is blowin into the lean-to. However, I know the country, and I wanted the view this set up offered, and sure enough the wind died down come sundown. There is a gigantic fire ring in front, which I used cause it was pre-existing. My fire is no bigger than 2 ft. across, positioned dead center and about 2 ft. out in front. The inside of this tarp is slightly reflective, and setting it low catches the heat from the fire better. 'But you might get eaten by animals!' Maybe. In half a century of camping, in snake country, wild hog country, bear and mountain lion country, the majority of the time just sleepin in the open on a bedroll, I've only had two animal related incidents. Once we woke up surrounded by a buffalo herd in the Wichitas, and one time a skunk came into my teepee to get out of the rain. I had more threats from the weather; hailstorms, floods, tornadoes, wind, wildfires, etc.

Attachments

• 9-21a.jpg
    9-21a.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 5,177

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wanted to ask you about bears up there,but I guess you answer ed my question,Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread