spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When camping, it's a good thing to know and brush up on some of the edible plants in your region. Not that you may ever have to use them, it is a good thing to know and try while camping. There are tons of edible plants out there and there is no reason to go into everyone of them, but here are a few you may find interesting.

Sweet fern

This is one little fern that has a dual purpose. You can rub it on your skin for a natural insect repellent and also boil the leaves in water for a soothing cup of sweet fern tea.

Arrowhead root

Found in lake and swampy areas, has a great tuber

Mountain sorrel

I loved to eat these while hiking, a refreshing little treat that has a lemony taste. Great on their own, or added to a salad. There are several types of mountain sorrel, so look for the ones that resemble clovers.

Black Birch

Get fresh twigs from this tree and enjoy a tea that resembles root beer, no need for sugar either.

Rock tripe.

In a pinch, rock tripe is like scrambled eggs once boiled. OK, not exactly as tasty, but close your eyes and that may help :laughing7:

Yes there are plenty of other edible goodies out there, so start reading up on them. You never know when you may need them in a pinch. Learn to live off the land and make your outdoor experiences worth while.

S

stefen

Fresh or canned peaches, apples, cherries and other edible plants are equally as good if not better...

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stephen, I couldn't disagree with you at all. Then again, you probably wouldn't have a can opener, nor access to the other goodies you mentioned, and if stranded, you'd be dead in no time flat :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just run across this post. Spart you got to be careful tellin people about eatin plants that they probably have no way of knowin what they are beforehand. I always take what I might need campin, cause be prepared is way more better than thinkin about which weed to eat. I can get by a long time with no food but not so much without water. Those folks don't need to start eatin plants til they can ID them in the field.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was careful to list those plants that are easily identifiable. Besides a quick visit to google would also help them. The other good thing is these are plentiful in many regions. I always bring real food too :laughing7: but I do like to snack on items mother nature provides for free.

I should have also linked this to how to tell edible berries from poisonous ones. :icon_thumleft:

You can't mistake those unless your blind :laughing9:

nathandrake

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disclaimer: don't try this at home. No eating the plants in your backyard.

White fir: small needles with two white lines on the bottom. Very high in vitamin C. Taste like a very bitter tangerine. Chew the needle until there tasteless, and then spit them out.

Miner's lettuce: An amazingly tough little plant. I've found this plant living at or above the treeline. Very small. Has a reddish stalk with small disc shaped leaves. The leaves are very small, so you need a lot of them.

Braken fern: A fern that taste like lettuce. I really don't have any really obvious features of the top of my head. So be careful.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was careful to list those plants that are easily identifiable. Besides a quick visit to google would also help them. The other good thing is these are plentiful in many regions. I always bring real food too :laughing7: but I do like to snack on items mother nature provides for free.

I should have also linked this to how to tell edible berries from poisonous ones. :icon_thumleft:

You can't mistake those unless your blind :laughing9:

Spart,
I find it quite surprizing and a little dissappointing that you have that much faith in your fellow man to look up things on Google to make sure they are not eating the wrong thing ect. :icon_scratch:
I especially like this one...."You can't mistake those unless your blind".... you forgot to add..... or an idiot! :tongue3:
The world is full of idiots and there is nothing we can do about it.
Except sit back, watch, and enjoy the entertainment! :happy1:

Modern society has gone out of it's way to ensure the unnatural survival of the idiot species.

Like putting warning signs on the obvious, for example:

3396141-bis.gif
Screen-shot-2011-02-11-at-7.53.58-AM.png
cliff-warning-sign-bylaws-law-signs.jpg

Remember... There is nothing in this world that is idiot proof.......only idiot resistant!

Last edited:
OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace, you see some times you just have to give a warning anyway :tongue3: All my experiences were first hand during camping trips and it was fun trying out 1/2 that crap.

By the way, I bumped the edible berry/fruit thread that does contain interesting information :tongue3:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spart,
Did you ever read any of the books by Tom Brown?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brown_(naturalist)
He was a local around here and has books on survival and edible plants in this area.
He also still holds a week or two survival course in the Pine Barrens.
Did ya know you can eat the root of those cattails found on the edges of ponds and in swamps. Yea this guy knows it all about the natural resources around here. His books are also entertaining to read. They are not just like a manual.

Last edited:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree it is good to know the basics. I learned about edible plants from my Pop. but know there are a lot of plnts that have look alikes & are deadly. if it came down to having to eat wild foods, not many of us would survive. but then how many people can build a fire with nothing to boil water. wouldn't hurt to learn the skills just in case.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Once we know if yard/area around home is safe from pesticide,sewage,lead from exhaust over the years its wise to learn what's edible. People through history have gone hungry but worse became ill ,some even perished from lack of vitamins that were available . (An example Cartiers men 1535 who's remedy found in evergreen tea).Two i use the most are dandelion and plantain,both non native. (For greens on tacos etc. And wine making.) We go past a lot on our way to the store. Heck people in this country used to consume more acorn meal than grain!.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes check out Tom Browns Edible plants. 20 years ago I was into that. I would carry that book into the forest and pick/ east anything but first identified the plans before tasting it. Some of the things I remember was the cattails, Very good.. Eat the roots. How about jewel weed or also called touch me not, not Edible but you rub it on your skin before you contact poison Ivey or enter the forest. And let's not forget Mullen; the leaves are used as toilet paper and the flower make a good tea. I $&@" you not!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace350/flyadive Nope, I never checked any of his works.. I have a few other books on that subject, but mostly went by the BSA Fieldbook

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mullen is a great decongestant that is used often here in buchanan county VA,Make a tea and POW!!!! Natural herbal medicine readily available in the appalachian mountains. HBC-AS09-mullein5-DC.jpg

There is also a plant here that is called Polk or Polk Stalk(not sure of its techhical name...Polkius Stalkialias maybe LOL),Us rednecks fry it up and call it polk salad,I will try to upload a pic of it here,Its easily identifiable and tasty.Recipes abound via google,Check it out if you like.

The first photo is of the plant in the later part of the year when it has matured and the berries have blossomed making it readily identifiable(do not eat polk berries,they also stain your skin worse than walnut hulls) The second photo is polk stalk without the berries readily noticable. 1 pokebush courtesyumces.jpg
mature-plant-purple-stem.jpg

Im aware of a bunch more edible plants and berries within this area if anyone is interested,I just wanted to post the easily identifiable ones for anyone who may be interested.

Also dont forget the forever tasty Dryland Fish known as the Morel Mushroom.. morel3.jpg

Some fun facts,HH

Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/phyame2b.jpg
Pokeweed is what I think your referring to.
Made a archers Bow and painted it with the purple berries.( ink berry) Looked great until I over stressed the limbs and broke it.mmmmm and the shrooms were psychedelic.

Last edited:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, we have that Polk weed up here in New Jersey also. I have always known it as being called an Ink Berry bush. I never heard you can fry it up and eat it. How do you prepare it? Do you just fry the leaves in butter? Do you use the stalk? I'm interested to try it if someone can tell me how to prepare it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Did ya know you can eat the root of those cattails found on the edges of ponds and in swamps. Yea this guy knows it all about the natural resources around here.
If Mr Brown knew it all he also should've added that the tops of the cattail are edible also. The green tip while young can be boiled, and with a little salt and butter tastes nutty and delicious!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edible plants are awesome .its lots of fun foraging out on hiking and camping trips .books are ok but going to survival classes and having someone show you is the best for me . have you ever had chaga tea man its good and good for you .if you have not tried roasted acorn Coffey you are missing out :coffee2::hello2:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We made "lemonade" from the red beries of the sumac bush, just like the indians did. Mix fuzzy berries up with water and strain, add sugar, really tart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions