spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget Eagle Scout, I don't even think you got your first aid merit badge with that answer, :laughing9:

Wanna try again :tongue3:

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I "wound" that one up nicely.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe a cut artery would be the worst. That's the one I would go to first anyway. They tell you things in books but that ain't nothin til you've seen a cut artery in real life. Blood will shoot out for 6 feet and you could bleed out in less than two minutes if nobody stops it.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe a cut artery would be the worst. That's the one I would go to first anyway. They tell you things in books but that ain't nothin til you've seen a cut artery in real life. Blood will shoot out for 6 feet and you could bleed out in less than two minutes if nobody stops it.
Danged if I wasn't thinkin that after I made my post! I've severed one in my hand and foot,can get rather messy REAL quick.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cut arteries often retract and restrict, although I've seen some bloody messes, too (always at scout camps). Oddly, though, you can lose a whole limb and not bleed out. A puncture would is highly prone to infection--the greater danger--because they tend to bleed less.

I think we were talking about non-fatal wounds, though, otherwise I'd have gotten the point on this one.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ammonhotep, I know your first attempt was a joke, fatal is surely right up there :laughing7:

But as ammon pointed out, the clear danger is the infection. Most won't pay any wound that doesn't bleed much attention and that's when you get into trouble :tongue3:

Working in the scout camps you did get to apply first aid on many occasions. The most serious I treated in order were fall out of a tree, back of the head gashed. Next was a kid who got hit in the head with a target arrow, he was so scared he actually started going into shock. The wound itself wasn't bad, but once he saw all the blood coming from his head he panicked. The last was friend that was flipping an axe in his hand.. Yup, he missed grabbing the handle and it embedded in his knee. Ouch...

Bleeding can always be controlled which is the good thing, tourniquets are always the very last resort.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna say a Papercut from dirty toilet paper! :tongue3:

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most serious I treated in order were fall out of a tree, back of the head gashed. Next was a kid who got hit in the head with a target arrow, he was so scared he actually started going into shock. The wound itself wasn't bad, but once he saw all the blood coming from his head he panicked. The last was friend that was flipping an axe in his hand.. Yup, he missed grabbing the handle and it embedded in his knee. Ouch...

Worst scout camp injuries I've seen (didn't have to treat any) were a collapsed snow cave, head strike from a golf ball, axe in the shin, and a stab to the femoral artery. The last kid almost died, but was evacuated by helicopter in the nick of time. The snow cave was a leader's, and after also be airlifted out he later died of a heart attack in the hospital.

Until I moved to my present locale, I'd never seen so much blood as at scout camp. Here, however, I've seen some messed up car accidents. Saw two separate multiple-fatality accidents in the same day about a week ago.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Car accidents are a dime a dozen in NJ, 1/2 the people can't drive :laughing7:

I guess once a scout, always a scout, as I will to to lend a hand in any given circumstance. One thing I can say about scouting is that in few years I have learned a good deal and had gotten a lifetime of different experiences :thumbsup: I can't think of a better organization that prepares you for the life to follow.

As Maxwell Smart would have said.. Eagle scout, missed it by that much :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread