Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emergency shelters in a blizzard

Here is an interesting one, especially for anyone that camps in the winter. Put on your thinking caps and let's see your line of thinking in an emergency situation. Two parts.

Part one

You are hiking when caught in a snowstorm that is actually a blizzard. Since walking may not be your best option for several reasons, what is the best way to ride the storm and avoid the elements. Let's leave out caves, because they are not always in every area. Secondly, the entrance just may be facing the storm and a drift could trap you.

Part two

What is the most important thing you most conserve. Hint: Don't even think of food & water :laughing7:

In any emergency situation it's always best to remain calm and know the answers before you are posed with the problem.

Have some fun

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your long winter nights must just simply fly by.:sad1:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of variables, it would help having a lighter because then you could start a fire with birch bark at the very least. You could possibly build a lean-to shelter out of pine bows up against a tree or old stump, maybe crawl underneath the skirt of a big fir tree to get out of the falling snow. You must conserve energy, heat, and a rational state of mind...remain calm.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even imagine me bein in that scenario, sorry, never would have happened. However, suppose I was from Texas, here in the mountains, stopped in the middle of the road to take some pictures, then left my truck and walked off into the trees to pee, and a big old blindin blizzard come up. Well, I would die, cause I would probably wander off tryin to find my truck. Sounds humorous, but that scenario has happened here in the mountains. Best advice I can give you is stay put so we can find you later. Conserve your energy. Don't decide you need to eat snow for water. Get out of the wind. I suppose you could make a snow cave and ride the storm out. Y'all's on your own on this one. I live in a place where Mother Nature can kill you real quick if you don't pay attention. Best advice I can give is 'BE PREPARED'.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done grasshopper, correct on all counts :tongue3: I'm curious, were you also a scout, or just a knowledgeable camper :icon_scratch:

We were taught to use our boots to tamp the snow down, then tunnel for a small igloo type shelter, helping to keep your hands dry. Running a lighter over the top also helped to freeze it and retain heat inside.

Now if your clothes are wet, try and change into dry ones ASAP. Leave the wet clothes outside on a higher branch to freeze, once frozen, you can beat the ice off for dry clothes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN, inclimate weather is inclimate no matter where you live. It can kill you in a heartbeat if you make mistakes and don't use your head.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah buddy, Troop 333, Hydro, Caddo County, Oklahoma, Black Beaver Council. Later on I was a Webelos (WE'll BE LOyal Scouts) leader. I think I taught them boys a few things that weren't included in the handbook. I know I did impress upon them that you don't bring cherry vodka to the campout and try to get your scout leader to believe it's cherry koolaid. Rascals.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troop 190 Bronx, NY ( A golden Troop, of over 50 years ) Nothing like the education and hands on experience you took away from it. It 'prepares' for life in so many areas that are helpful too, so it's not just camping.

Yup, even us city slicker kids knew our way around the sticks :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup Mack, coin covered both very well in his reply. Get out of the elements and conserve heat/energy. And stay dry!!!

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My triple nickle (troop 555) trumps your triple trey.

And I don't know if I'd use up my lighter icing the inside of my snow cave. First, you may need that fuel for something more important. Second the ice will naturally happen with your body head and condensation from your breath. Third, once the ice forms you've lost the air permeability of your snow shelter. If there's that much snow, always build your entrance lower than your sleeping shelf, and the warmer air will trap near the top and the cooler air will descend outside. If built properly, the snow cave shouldn't descend much below freezing point, if at all.

And when I'm out and about I ALWAYS have my survival kit with me. If I'm camping, I'm prepared for anything, and I've seen many different terrains. My tent has sheltered me in Haiti, Yemen, Ethiopia, and many parts of the good ol' USA, to name a few.

-Ammo

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread