spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many have camped, not only in the winter, but during a snowfall.. I was lucky enough to experience twice during my scouting days. I remember one time we had stayed in a lean-to and extended a snow wall out about 6 feet and left the sides open to enter and exit. We were able to keep a small fire, mostly embers in the front for additional warmth.

On a different outing we decided to just make an igloo and sleep in that. Since it was no longer snowing we didn't have much to worry about as far as drifts. Not only was it fun to build, but great to sleep in overnight.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have spent many a night, in a tent, in the Mountains west of Ten Sleep, WY. A bunch of us Milwaukee and Wauwatosa cops would be there for the Oct 15th opening of Mule deer season (not offically winter but, what da hey!). Once in a while, someone would draw an elk permit ($300!). Many of the nights got to sub-freezing temps but usually would warm by afternoon. Our biggest worry was being snowed in and not getting out of the mountains to go home (yea, like we wanted to go home!). TTC

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In scouts of course,later years in MI.u.p. the last week of november for end of firearm deer. One october bow hunt week with so much snow we left. Other tent camps in nothern mi. Snow at least in reasonable amounts all ways welcome. one year in upper peninsula temp near zero one afternoon. Nine days and i gained about as many pounds. External frame with tarp over it on my florida to canada tent. All tents were canvas,old eight by ten showing wear but ready to go!

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid and in Scouts we had our Klondike Derby winter camping every year. God! I hated that! Now, though, winter camping is one of my favorite things to do. There's more solitude, more beautiful scenery, and with the snow, it's a lot easier to track animals.

rockstar

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spent 2 days in Big Horn Crags in the Idaho Primitive Area with my four friends. That was my unforgettable time of camping in snow fall. We all celebrated and danced too much in those two days.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've camped in all of it and ain't no big thing, but the first time the wife tent camped with me in a snowstorm was down by Twin Lakes, south of Leadville Colorado. On the 8th of July. It come up the usual afternoon rain but turned to snow real quick and the temp dropped about 50 degrees in just a couple of hours or less. Lucky for her she was with me and I had the tent up and was able to keep a fire going. Snow didn't amount to much anyway. Once again she vowed to never listen to my weather report and go camping with me. She still does. I must admit I was a little taken aback by that July snowstorm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread