What kind of spider is this

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the Pac. Northwest we have a real nasty critter, the Hobo spider. You don't want to get bit by this guy. The results are similar to the recluse.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I know the posting is a little late, but I can tell you about the first picture! I can certainly tell you that IT IS NOT A CAMEL SPIDER!!! Hahahahaha!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tegenaria Domestica or the "Barn Funnel Weaver". Painless bite and Non-Venomous/Poisonous.
The Big yellow and Black Spider is the St. Andrews Cross spider. I like shooting them with a pellet gun.
The guy that mentioned the Hobo spider is correct. Nasty little buggers. They are in the same genus as the Brown Recluse.
I hate spiders. I got bit by a HUGE St. Andrews Cross spider when I was a kid. Now I will cross the room to kill one. Bees are spiders with wings. I kill them too. I'm allergic to Yellow Jackets....Maybe I should just keep an eye on everything black and yellow.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here in N. GA we always called the black & yellow spiders w/zig-zag in their web "Garden Spiders" .Note--you always tell a Brown Recluse Spider by the "Violin' shape on its back right behind its eyes & mouth its very distintinctive it will be a darker brown than the beige type color around it;Hence I call it a "Fiddle back" spider .. BEWARE!!

grobb28

Feb 20, 2013
Around here in N. GA we always called the black & yellow spiders w/zig-zag in their web "Garden Spiders" .Note--you always tell a Brown Recluse Spider by the "Violin' shape on its back right behind its eyes & mouth its very distintinctive it will be a darker brown than the beige type color around it;Hence I call it a "Fiddle back" spider .. BEWARE!!

The one in the pic ur wondering about is a golden orb spider pretty sure they're harmless In North America

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just killed a brown recluse that was crawling up my leg last night. I knocked him off them got him with some tp. That makes number 12 in the last 3 weeks in my house. And all been coming from my bed crawling away, and our mattress is on the floor. It makes for some restless sleep.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just killed a brown recluse that was crawling up my leg last night. I knocked him off them got him with some tp. That makes number 12 in the last 3 weeks in my house. And all been coming from my bed crawling away, and our mattress is on the floor. It makes for some restless sleep.

I thought I had it bad from being stung five times from scorpions while in bed last year. This year, I have been treating the house every month and have found 27 scorpions either dead or dieing in the house. Luckily none have tried sleeping with me this year.

mr_rich

Aug 21, 2013
Ormond Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had it bad from being stung five times from scorpions while in bed last year. This year, I have been treating the house every month and have found 27 scorpions either dead or dieing in the house. Luckily none have tried sleeping with me this year.

Yeah, I've been bitten by scorpions here in Florida. They think your a big warm rock until you move and then wham! Worst was at 3am stung right over my heart on my chest. I do have a remedy for the brown Florida scorpion that works. Make a paste out of baking soda and water thick over the bite and I've even covered it with gauze the bites will go away completely by morning in some cases.
Talk about spiders? I dug one up by the Suwanee river that was living in the ground IT was the size of a SOFTBALL! it had long thick legs and fangs you could visible see It WASN'T a tarantula. My dog went up to it (a Chow) barking at it and the spider held its ground It was meaner than a dog! I wanted to capture it and take it to the University of Florida but I could not find anything I could put it in it was huge and didn't want it jumping on me. I seen it a few weeks later in a gopher turtle hole about 200ft from where I first encountered it.
I kinda felt bad I disturbed its home. I think it was eating lizards, small birds and mice there was small bones where its hole was.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the belly of the brown recluse has a brownish reddish fiddle type marking --wolf spiders for the most part are not dangerous really their bug hunters --a brown recluse however is very nasty their bite will cause the flesh to rot and to stop the spread it must be cut out --quite nasty buggers

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was bit by a black widow lots around here had to get tetnus shot and it felt like I had the flu for 6 months. I grabbed a doorknob to put a key in it and it was on it bit my finger. My brother was doing some work under a house and got bit his whole arm swelled up and he had to have iv antibiotics for 2 weeks. Watch out for the black widows.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol funny thing is my wife just got bit last night in bed by something on her arm. It looks like a mosquito bite and itches like crazy but not hurting. In our house since we've moved in we've fight ticks the first week, now it's stink bugs and spiders. In our other house it was maggots and flies, mice, and every ant you can think of. the maggots happened because of a open window and it rained on a piece of cardboard and then got hot that's all it took. Went to the kitchen one night about 2am and felt something squish and the floor was alive!!! We fought them for the whole day, by the time I found then they were in every room. Lol I'd take all over the scorpions and tarantulas!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so called" banana spiders" are of the orb weaver family of spiders -- fairly harmless --bite is like a bee sting , so unless your "sensitive" to them --not that big of a deal really ---they do get large and make big webs ---to some folks they are very scary looking.

mr rich --look up "mouse spider" most likely a very large female you found -- quite large nasty fangs --bad bite

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread