slingshots

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
No offense meant to you by any means rockhound.If youre bugging out,do you want to carry what you made or do you want to carry your guns if youre on foot.What you made is fine,if youre where you want to be bugging out to,in order to save ammo.But,not practical if youre trying to move fast on foot and have say a rifle and a shotgun to carry plus a backpack.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
This is designed to be a silent small game hunting tool, although it has the capability to launch arrows, which can be used to fish with or take down larger game. Also it can be used as a backup for other weapons. Sometimes it may be prudent to use a silent weapon when there is a question of whether you are near other people who may take advantage of the situation. If it comes down to it, I may have to rely on this or a bow, more and more. Keeping a low profile may be crucial in a survival situation. Good Luck. rockhound

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup I have a bow also,an old recurve.The good thing about it is it can be broken down into 3 pieces.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
IF and WHEN, it all starts to break down, most who have the capability to hunt, fish and scavenge, will probably survive. Those who live in big cities will have a rough time and may not survive. The more survival skills you have, the better chance you will have of surviving. Although this is meant to be a backup weapon, when all ammo is exhausted and you need a hunting tool, this should work nicely. A bow will also work, and I have 2 recurves and 2 compounds. I can't see me carrying all these with me in the woods though. I will have to decide on just one and then carry the slingshot. I made new limbs for it today, but have not tested them. I can tell they are much stiffer than the other ones were. They should really zip and arrow, stone, marble or steel ball. Good Luck. rockhound

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup:icon_thumleft:But I dont think its an if,I think its a when.I started making my own broadheads and arrows too.Heres one of my broadheads.I have some steel tubing,cut a slice about a 1/2 inch in the 1 1/4 inch of tubing then tack weld the blade in the slot.Then its a simple mount to the arrow shaft.

2.jpg

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
That's great, but you may also want to learn how to knap, chip flint into an arrowhead shape. It may become hard to find steel or any metal in the wilderness. You can always find flint(obsidian) near creeks and rivers of mountain streams. Most will have some obsidian or other similar rock to make arrow heads and spear points. I also have made a Atlatl, to use in case I can't use the slingshot or bow. I need to practice with it to get proficient with it. Good Luck. rockhound

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Metals I'm not to worried about,where I'm going theres an old copper mine.Plus if I dont have to hoof it at bug out time,i have a supply of my own to take along.Ive made arrow heads out of slate before,very easy to work with.I was thinking of making an atlatl but not enough room here to practice with it so its on hold,I have an atlatl dart point that got me interested in them.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Just finished testing my new limbs on my slingshot. It has really good power. Should be able to bring down small game cleanly, and using an arrow it should be capable of bringing down larger game at close distances. After shooting it a while I will have more insight into whether it is a durable or not but for now it looks bulletproof. The only weakness being the string, which I will swap out for Aramid fiber one if it is durable. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Dacron Polyester bowstrings hold up good for a while but eventually unravel, especially if you don't keep bees wax or paraffin wax on them. I am thinking more along the lines of Kevlar thread, wound into a string on a jig, just like a bowstring. it should be bulletproof. No cutting, unraveling or anything for a long time. Good luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread