slingshots

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Slingshot have been around for thousands of years and have changed little over that time. The bible talks about David using a sling to disable Goliath in order to slay him. It was a simple rawhide string with a pouch attached, where a stone could be nested so as to be launched with greater velocity than throwing by hand. When rubber became available, people started using it to propel a stone through a fork at even greater velocity. These new rubber powered slingshots were more accurate and took less time to master. They became every country boys go to weapon for small game hunting or plinking. When synthetic tubing became available, the lowly slingshot again saw a renewed interest as it had even greater power and velocity. Now, in most everyones bugout or backpack, there is one of these slingshots. Many have become proficient enough with them that they have added a rest from which they can launch an arrow, making it feasible to take down larger game if need be. I have always had and used one for plinking mostly, but recently I started thinking of how to redesign the lowly slingshot and upgrade it to be more powerful weapon for survivalists, hunters, campers, hikers and other outdoorsman. The design I came up with will surely be more powerful and include more accessories than the forked sensation we are accoustomed to seeing. While I haven't completely finished it yet, it looks very promising. The problem with the rubber slingshots is that the rubber will break, dry rot and become unusable in a survival situation. My design uses no rubber, and all the parts are easily replaceable in the field with natures bounty of wood. Most of the parts on mine will last for many years without any maintenance or problems. Hopefully after it is completed I can maybe market or at least show its design for those able to replicate it. In any new design, there are always a few bugs to correct and it probably will be with mine also. Anyway, a slingshot should be standard equipment in everyones backpack. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I finished my prototype and tested it. It does OK, but it needs some modifications to make it work as designed. Although it works good on paper--er--cad, it doesn't always work the same in the field. After the modifications are done though, it should be one awesome weapon capable of taking down small and large game, as well as fish, frogs and any other animals I might encounter. It may not be my first line of defense but it will make a handy backup weapon with no worries about ammunition. Good Luck. rockhound

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always enjoy using a slingshot, amazing power if you can become accurate enough. Will yours be laser sighted? Can't wait to see it, hope it works out for you.

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
I still have my old wrist rocket. Like you said the surgical hose dry rots after awhile. It doesn't feel good getting slapped in the face when one of those hoses breaks! They are pretty powerful too. You can shoot a rock at the black top with that thing and here the ricochet. Brings back memories.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Actually, I have two designs I am working on. Either one would easily accept a laser or other sight. Both use a fiberglass prod, like a crossbow, except much shorter. The strings(para chord), is attached where normally the rubbers would be, with pouch for holding the projectile. One has a mechanical advantage, while the other one just uses raw power. Both have smaller sight windows, which should improve accuracy. Also both have arrow propelling capability for hunting larger game, or for fishing. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have done some modifications to one of my designs and it seems to be a powerful slingshot. As a matter of fact, I believe I can add a stronger prod and get even more power out of it, if the frame will stand up to the torque and vibration of it when it fires. I am going to try a larger prod and see what happens. If the frame can withstand the added strength of the larger prod, it should be the worlds strongest slingshot, or sling/bow. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I went to Tractor Supply and bought two fiberglass rods. These are used for running electric fence on. They are 4' long, solid fiberglass. They had 4 electric fence attachment and a foot attachment for pushing into the ground. I cut them of and now am going to buy/make a fish point for them and use them for fishing arrows. They are heavy and will penetrate the water good. I will cut a notch in the back of them and glue on some plastic fletching, although when bow fishing, you want to get as close as possible. the farther the shot, the steeper the angle and entrance into the water, causing you to make more allowance for the steeper trajectory. In a survival situation it is most of the time easier to catch/shoot fish than small game. Also I like fish, so if you are in a close proximity to a water source, fishing is a viable option. Good Luck. rochound

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah, where are the slingsot pics?? I can hit a rabbit every time at 30-40 feet with a regular slingshot, what do I need a laser sight for? One thing that'll make some of you cry is that it is against the law to sell slingshots in the state of N.J. and illegal to sell wrist rocket types of slingshots in N.Y.!!! Laws are getting more and more stupid!! Rights going down the drain.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I will post pictures after I have tested and am satisfied with their performance. I should do that in the next couple of days. It would be premature to post pictures of an untested and unproven design. It could even be a disappointment after all is said and done, but it sure looks like it will work great. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Nearly finished. We have had some bad weather and with Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping, it set me back a few days, but today I started back in on one of my slingshot/bow designs and in preliminary tests I found that it was not strong enough structurally so had to modify it. Possibly tomorrow I will get to put it through its paces and determine if its now able to withstand the torque applied to it when the limbs are flexed. I also may have to add a stabilizer to help suppress the vibration from the limbs/prods. If everything works as designed I will post some pictures of it. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I finally finished and tested my new design. Works good, but still need to make some minor modifications to increase power. The fiberglass limbs are not as strong as I thought. Here are pictures of my prototype slingshot/bow. rockhound

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 256
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 291
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 332

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Looks pretty good! What are the dimensions? Not really something to carry in a backpack with quick access but does look like it would get a animal after practice

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
While testing, one of the limbs cracked, which is OK, because I intended to put stronger limbs on it anyway. It has plenty of power and about 50 pounds of pull weight. It is really stable and accurate. After I mount other limbs I will give it another test. This time it should really be something. Good Luck. rockhound

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless you are placing your feet on the limbs and shooting from your back, the " sling " looks exceptionally long. When you pull it back approximately how far do you actually pull? Perhaps the depth perception in the photo has me confused! Good luck with your testing I will be awaiting future developments.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
This is not meant to compete with a wrist rocket. It is not foldable, portable or lightweight, but some things have to be sacrificed for power. This was my ultimate goal when I set out to redesign the humble slingshot, as well as improving accuracy. With its small sight window and closely spaced limb holders, it is very precise in its hold. It is comfortable to hold and shoot. The limbs only flex about 5 inches, which is why the strings look so long. This way you can anchor it at your mouth, just like shooting a bow. After I replace the limbs, I expect it to have much greater power than a wrist rocket. Another thing I took into consideration is the fact that if society breaks down, shortly wrist rockets will become obsolete because the rubbers will break and rot. Where will you ever find new ones in such a situation? Good Luck rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread