Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN,,
I used to love to do this. But now,,, I really have to admit that it would be VERY HARD for me to do so now.
Man I really hope that the majority of people are "pushed" into this position.
Everyone thinks you can just run to the woods and live off the land.
It is a difficult time, and would be more so now. There just aren't the resources that were available.
Man,,, We had it good when we were young.

OP
OP
coloradocav1

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I totally agree with you. I've been practicing my whole life and still never learn it all. I truly believe that day is coming for people. people rely too much on electronics, stores and bottled figi water etc and they are going to find out the hard way. they can read all the books, buy the gear, watch dual survival. But until you practice and actually use the gear your no better off than before. I'm good with flint and steel, but nature can and regularly does humble anyone. I've lived in a snow cave for a week up in the rockies, and I dont ever want to be pushed into that situation unprepared. But your right, we have less resources, dirtier water, less game, smarter game. Oh to be young again!

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would like to learn to do this but i am way too old . lol sure sounds interesting.

davin

S

stefen

Thought about it years ago until I heard that Euel Gibbons died after eating grass from a cow pasture...

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is the best way to learn primitive skills and where do you start ? now you have me interested. lol
davin

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was on that Dual Survival show, I'd just attack the cameraman with a rock or a sharp stick, take his food and water, his car keys, any change he had too and split. Let that rascal figure out how to get out of the desert or jungle or wherever. That would be an admirable survival trait to have, I think. Wouldn't make for much good TV, as I guess each episode would only be about 15 minutes long.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
what is the best way to learn primitive skills and where do you start ? now you have me interested. lol
davin

Exchange primitive with historical.
Determine resources and how and why they were employed. By season and availability.
Choosing an era and duplicating or staying within a timeline can be one way.... or combining all for current potential.
Start with the basics. Shelter for where you are , water , food ,fire, food preservation when a windfall allows..
No reason to build more of a shelter than necessary if no fuel or food exists or caloric consumption is more costly when clime allows going without a shelter..
Priorities depend on conditions and clime and resources and your mind.

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the in - put, its going to be a slow start me, lol
thank
ron

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't have many caves hereabouts - but I still like to get out occasionally with a flintlock or a bow and prepare a meal with what I can kill, or maybe just some boiled corn or rice and a cup of tea.

HPIM2767b.jpg

HPIM2765.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lookin good Charlie. Great picture. I can see that elusive younger sky in the background.
I broke down last fall and bought a corn boiler. Sadly/cheaply , spot welded.
Still not broke in though.
The kid has been wandering off with gear that has been unused awhile . Packbasket , pistol , wool capote, wool blanket, leather ,primer for a flinter made from an old table knife handle, a trap spring knife , ect..
She got a lodge, a wedge or similar , these many years after her mother was not fond of "primitive " they are getting into it now.
Better late than never though I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread