Dutch Oven cooking in camp

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In addition to all of the other outdoor "stuff" I like to do, outdoor cooking is one of my favorites. So of course I like to bring along my cast iron. Any of the rest of you into outdoor cooking?

Fresh bread every trip!

iy2cud.jpg

I wanted to practice with my skillet rather than the normal dutch oven.

6zueyq.jpg
118hvg2.jpg

We do a Turkey when we camp over Thanksgiving. Nice and moist!

2j107ls.jpg

Cherry Clafouti for dessert. My favorite.

avqv08.jpg

Funny that I get invited on a lot of camping trips. :tongue3:

I also run a website named www.camp-cook.com with tons of techniques and recipes.

Joanne

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all looks great! Yes, I still have the IRON I used as a scout many years ago.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love my dutch ovens and camp cooking, got all shapes and sizes and yes I use them all. Thanks for the link I'll be sure to stop in for a visit.

OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's really no reason not to eat well when out camping. I don't do fancy gourmet, but lots of good, hot food. With a little practice there's practically nothing you can't whip up right out in the middle of nowhere.

Joanne

OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It all looks great! Yes, I still have the IRON I used as a scout many years ago.

Should break it out and start cooking with it again. Nothing has changed my camping experience as much as learning how to cook in cast iron.

OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hawaiian Style Spare Ribs
-------------------------------------

10 boneless spare ribs
1 green bell pepper (diced)
1 red bell pepper (diced)
1 yellow onion (diced)
1 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits (drained)
1 12 oz. can Dr. Pepper
2 6 oz. cans tomato paste
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tbls. coarse ground black pepper
.........................................................................................

Drain pineapple juice into bottom of 12" dutch oven, Arrange ribs in juice
; Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over ribs...

Cover and cook @325 degrees-(2 hours)--replenish coals after 1 hour to maintain temperature... turn & baste ribs every 30 minutes

These are really tasty! A pot of Jasmin rice goes really well with them.

Joanne

OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Although this recipe is a great first time cobbler, it's also one of the ones I make on a regular basis. It's so simple you can have it cooking in 5 minutes or less. Using premade cinnamon rolls may be cheating, but I've never had a complaint.

Hardware
12 inch Dutch Oven
26 briquettes (more if it's windy or cold)

Ingredients
2 large cans of sliced peaches (around 30 oz cans)
1 small can of crushed pinapple (8 oz can)
2 tubes Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls
1 tbl cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tbl corn starch

Procedure
Note: I like to preheat the lid when I am cooking this cobbler. Set the lid on a holder and throw on 16 coals. Leave the coals on the lid while you prepare the cobbler.

1 - Open and drain the peaches and pineapple

2 - Mix 1 tablespoon of corn starch into 1/4 cup (or less) of water, mixing until no lumps

3 - Pour the peaches, pineapple, cinnamon and nutmeg into the oven. Mix together.

4 - Pour the corn starch mixture over the peaches and mix in. This will cause the juices to thicken a bit and keep the cobber from getting too runny. If you don't have corn starch available, just skip this step. The cobbler will still be good

5 - Place the cinnamon rolls on top of the peaches. You can leave them whole, or you can tear them into little pieces. I leave them whole because they look nice.

6 - Place the pot over the 10 lower coals and put the preheated lid on.

7 - This should take around 15 minutes to cook. I suggest that you spin the lid 1/4 turn every 5 minutes or so. After 10 minutes sneak a quick look to see how the rolls are cooking. Remove the cobbler from the heat when the rolls are golden brown.

8 - Drizzle the frosting that came with the cinnamon rolls all over the top.

9 - Serve and enjoy.

Keep in mind that the peaches and pineapples are already cooked. You just want them nice and hot, so don't overdo bottom heat. You need top heat to bake the cinnamon rolls, so add a few more coals to the top if the rolls aren't cooking the way you want.

If you are cooking in a 12 deep oven, add an additional 3 to 4 briquettes on the lid.

Joanne

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks joanne, sounds really good and looking forward to trying it.
davin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread