jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff those darn wrist injuries hurt don't they! Too bad you never made it back to further explore that cabin.

yea in my Life I've had 3 wrist & arm Breaks.
Twice my Arm. once my wrist, once my ankle.
All after I Bragged that as a Kid I Never broke anything .
(Just rub Dirt in it to stop the bleeding or Walk it off)

for a long time Heart issues would have kept me from walking it again.
Now after my Bypass's I Believe I could Tackle the Walk.
But would be very unlikely to do it solo, just in case I'm not as Healthy as I Think.

Of Course I'd need to Check the Trespass issues of Today.
Back then Only signs there were Paintball Shooting event Signs posted
advertising a Future or past Event

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of hiking in northern New Mexico I go in about 6 miles at around 10,000 feet I carry all the equipment to stay alive pack is usually at 55# give or take spend about three days out everyone knows were I am at. At home is a map that I have were my location will be with the GPS location on it and I carry a sat phone to check in morning and night.One thing I have learned when by myself it really makes you think about what you are doing and to be smart and not foolish.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tip for those who are concerned, if you park at a trailhead leave a plastic bag with some type of ID and an article of your clothing you have been wearing, a sock works good. Search and Rescue up here will look for that in your vehicle if you come up missing, and it gives the search dog a scent. As far as I know we still have one missing in the woods from last year, and no telling what was up with that.

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff it's good to hear you did well with your bypass, good for you. Aside from the sprained wrist I broke my right arm falling off a ladder while painting my house about 1 years ago. Also broke a finger once. I've been pretty lucky because I've taken some falls and after a few decades in law enforcement I'm still truckin'.

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyzak, it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing and enjoy it immensely. Keep it up!

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN, good advice, thanks!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff it's good to hear you did well with your bypass, good for you. Aside from the sprained wrist I broke my right arm falling off a ladder while painting my house about 1 years ago. Also broke a finger once. I've been pretty lucky because I've taken some falls and after a few decades in law enforcement I'm still truckin'.

I had congestive heart failure.Mar 15, 2018. one of my nurses after the bypass
was a complete pessimist as to my chances.
though she did say perhaps the bypass will change things.

looking online to see what she meant I found this.

[h=1]Heart Failure Patients Too Optimistic[/h] Study Shows Patients Overestimate Their Life Expectancy
By Jennifer Warner

From the WebMD Archives June 3, 2008 -- Many people with heart failure may be overly optimistic when it comes to estimating how long they have left to live.

A new study shows nearly two-thirds of people with congestive heart failure overestimate their remaining life expectancy by an average of 40% compared with what's realistic based on their prognosis.

Heart failure, which occurs when the heart is too weak to pump enough blood. annually in the U.S. Although there have been recent improvements in congestive heart failure treatment, researchers say the prognosis for people with the disease is still bleak, with about 50% having an average life expectancy of less than five years. For those with advanced forms of heart failure, nearly 90% die within one year.

So I have less then a Month Yet ? :coffee2:

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff I have a feeling you'll beat the odds! Best wishes, sincerely! Oh and that broken arm was 10 years ago not 1 year.

Carlitosway2

Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is nice to be in the wild alone sometimes, there is just something about sitting back and just enjoying the sights and sounds of the outdoors with your own thoughts. If it’s on your mind enough to write about it maybe you should think about the satellite phone like Lunch Bag mentions. Be safe and enjoy.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyzak, it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing and enjoy it immensely. Keep it up!

Head on a swivel,also watch out at trail heads for people breaking into your vehicle I was at one were glass was all over the ground drive a beater there and do not have any valuables in it what so ever.When i walked over to the trail head they had a big sign watch out vehicles being broke into the sheriff so the whole time I am out I am wondering is some scum bag breaking into my rig,

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not saying this is right, but all my life I have always done things alone. It started when I was a kid, often snowshoeing, then camping overnight in shelters I made for myself. Why my mother was never worried about me is beyond me?

Two years ago though, I was logging (something else I always did alone), and hit a spring pole with my chainsaw. My saw was driven into my face at full force. I woke up with the snow COVERED with blood. The skidder was hooked to a full twitch of wood, and so there was no way of driving it out, so I started running. I passed out half way to the road, woke up, realized if I did not keep running I would not make it, and started running again. A short ride in my truck to the house, and I was soon on an ambulance headed for the hospital.

It took 20 stitches right between the eyebrows to close the gap, a concussion from the impact (MS 461 Stihl) and 4 day stay in the hospital.

I thought I would return to cutting wood in just a few days, but I was pretty gun-shy for a few weeks.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
OUCH!! Glad you lived to tell about it!

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not saying this is right, but all my life I have always done things alone. It started when I was a kid, often snowshoeing, then camping overnight in shelters I made for myself. Why my mother was never worried about me is beyond me?

Two years ago though, I was logging (something else I always did alone), and hit a spring pole with my chainsaw. My saw was driven into my face at full force. I woke up with the snow COVERED with blood. The skidder was hooked to a full twitch of wood, and so there was no way of driving it out, so I started running. I passed out half way to the road, woke up, realized if I did not keep running I would not make it, and started running again. A short ride in my truck to the house, and I was soon on an ambulance headed for the hospital.

It took 20 stitches right between the eyebrows to close the gap, a concussion from the impact (MS 461 Stihl) and 4 day stay in the hospital.

I thought I would return to cutting wood in just a few days, but I was pretty gun-shy for a few weeks.

When I was in college I had joined search & rescue. We had a situation much like yours, only the saw bucked back across his juggler. He was dead when we found him. It was the first time he had ever gone out cutting wood using a saw he borrowed from his friend. Glad your story ended differently!

Joanne

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I was in college I had joined search & rescue. We had a situation much like yours, only the saw bucked back across his juggler. He was dead when we found him. It was the first time he had ever gone out cutting wood using a saw he borrowed from his friend. Glad your story ended differently!

Joanne

In 30 years of cutting wood I have been bit three times, in the chin, in the thigh, and in the face. The last one was the scariest, but when they did the MRI for the concussion, they ultimately found my brain tumor and cancerous thyroid.

Because of the brain tumor, I have not cut wood in over a year.

I have to say though, in the hospital I promised myself I would "get right back on that horse" and get some wood cut, but it was well over a week before I stepped back in the woods again, and even then did not go crazy. As I said, I was pretty gun-shy for awhile.

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow OreCart! I don't know what to say other than I'm glad you survived that ordeal and I hope the subsequent medical findings have been dealt with successfully. You're one tuff cookie!

Hikerguy

Feb 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We cut timber 20 year ago on a us forest service track that I found tons of arrow heads the forest guy did not want to see them or talk about them . So all my live I've hunted this stuff and after 20 years decided to hike back into this site and look around again . So I here dogs barking as I get near by the site here someone talking and realize it's a house near by and they start firing a gun through the woods. I get my whistle blowing it hoping they will stop . They never payed me any mind at all so I had to run behind trees between shots to get out of gun reach of the gun . After that day I always told someone the location I'd be hiking .

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net Hikerguy. Glad you got out of the way of those careless shots being fired!

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Holy Cow OreCart! I don't know what to say other than I'm glad you survived that ordeal and I hope the subsequent medical findings have been dealt with successfully. You're one tuff cookie!

No, I am not sure I will ever fully recover. It is coming up on two years now and the hospitals, even research hospitals, say there is nothing they can do. I do see a Doctor this week though, and so maybe she can help shade so more light on the problem. If not, oh well, I am a believer so I know where I am going.

Thanks for the well wishes though!

Now that I have some free time, and got into prospecting though, I hike alone still. I don't want anyone to know where I found the motherlode though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread