O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one. As long as I stay healthy I'll still venture out alone and use common sense. I just need to cut out climbing mountain sides and stick to more manageable terrain. Happy hiking to all!

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something a was told by a S and R team member.

if you are in a cell phone coverge area carry a hikers GPS with lat lon.

if you need help have a couple people that can recive text on there phone and a code that they know its from you and that you need help.

this will leave your coordinates on there phone and they will not need to try to write it down and can just show the text massage to the SandR team

text masage will save power useage on your phone that maybe needed later.

i have a old molle tactical vest with added pouchs for my survival kit. fire starting kit, 4 space blankets (silver side and an orange side), freeze dry food, GPS. custom first aid kit,knife and ammo for my 22lr customized AR7 survival rifle.
and on the back i have a molle hydration pack.
https://www.ar-7.com/index.html

by using the molle pouch system i can change what i carry on the molle tactical vest depending on time of the year weather and the area i will be in without unpacking and repacking the pouches.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to fish alone at night in my boat. I never thought about it being dangerous but it could have been bad had I ever fell out. No, stupidly I never wore a vest but I did hook the kill switch to my belt. Every year here in Florida people fishing alone go missing, some are never found.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hiked by myself for more then 5 1/2 decades. I will continue to hike alone, as I can go where I want, my speed, usually bush wacking off trail. I don't tell my wife where I'm going, the few times I did, she forgot where I was going. A few times I changed my mind where I was going a half mile after I left my house. A few times there was another vehicle parked where I was going to hike, so I went to another area. So it would do no good to tell my wife or leave a note where I was going. And I don't have a cell phone. Toilet paper?? Real outdoors people don't carry toilet paper. You use leaves, grass, ferns. Cold snow on hemorrhoids feels soooo good! And I don't carry a gun. I have never felt threatened by a wild animal, but I have been bitten by 3 domestic dogs.

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to fish alone at night in my boat. I never thought about it being dangerous but it could have been bad had I ever fell out. No, stupidly I never wore a vest but I did hook the kill switch to my belt. Every year here in Florida people fishing alone go missing, some are never found.

I love camping and hiking alone! Yeah, people do go missing here a lot. I could write a book on different aspects of this, but just some commonsense, situational awareness, protection as well as a good 72 hour bug out bag, and you're going be okay mostly.

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to "Pump myself UP" before camping alone, or with a friend and off the grid as well. I love missing 411 movies and stories, the Dyatlov Pass incident, to which I have read numerous books and articles on, and local homicide stories even. It makes it more interesting to be honest. I like to be "scared", but I find it hard to be so as Walmart and civilization is FAR MORE dangerous if one cares about statistics.... I've been in a few State of Emergencies and surrounded by adversaries that wanted me dead, so in the Forest, I am at home and in peace and nobody is coming to save you is a great mindset to have, and your 2nd Amendment is archaic now, the tech available now would blow most people's minds!

thegreenmile

Aug 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done a lot of solo hiking and never had any problems, even probably taken some unnecessary risks but I've never once felt uncomfortable. I've seen border runners (drug mule type), rattlesnakes, and spent plenty of time alone in mountain lion country and haven't once feared for my life.

You have the most to fear from other people but still you're chance of having a negative interaction is slim to none, especially the further away from civilization you get.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I'm both ways.

I don't mind hunting alone or tracking down sites.

How ever after awhile it gets old so some co from time to time is nice.

I've been injured while out more than one time. Stitches bee stings tons of bumps and bruises fall down hills.

That's not even the most dangerous stuff. There are open wells and mine shafts from coal mining NE area.

Always smart if your heading out deep to bring someone or tell someone where your gonna be.

Be safe out there.

Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread