Hiking alone

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like hiking and exploring alone, the solitude is refreshing. I've done it many times over the years and in some fairly remote areas too. I thought because I had a GPS, cellphone, sidearm, first aid kit, food, water, etc., I'd always be just fine, even on an overnighter. Not long ago I fell while dropping down into a wash and tore up the palm of my left hand and sprained my wrist. Put the first aid kit to work and I was fine. However, it made me think how much of a dilemma I could have faced if I had broken something or injured myself worse in some way. I was about 3 miles from my truck when it happened. From now on I will invite someone to go with. I really don't mind company, I just enjoyed the alone time and peacefulness. But getting older makes you think (or at least it should I suppose) that being alone in those situations really isn't a smart move. Any thoughts?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
same here! I'd rather solo, as I've worked in the (wet) NW woods, and often by myself, all day...!
I enjoyed it a lot, however there were some close calls with bear and mtn lion. And, of course,
some falls, but minor injuries, lucky for I usually did't have a radio. Cell phones weren't heard of yet...!
Now, after reaching my young 70's, I'm thinking on having a buddy along now, too....!

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and there's those critters too. I've hunted elk and deer alone many times. I've only actually seen one mountain lion in all my years of being out there. And it vanished into thin air quickly. I have had a few close calls with rattlers though. Stay safe sir!

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bears where I'm at but I have been where bears are many times.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to hike alone, too. If it kills me in some fashion, then at least I will go out doing what I like to do.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only place I go by myself is a state park that allows detecting.

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creskol, I can't argue that point. Be safe, sir!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...what Creskol said. I turned 70 in December, and am still going into the mountains alone. Probably die out there someday, but I told my wife and friends that I'd rather go that way than lying in a hospital bed with a bunch of tubes running into, and out of me. It ain't being dead that's bad....it's getting dead.
Jim

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't argue with that assessment either, Jim! Keep at it!

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt all over the world in very remote areas and often alone. I have absolutely zero fear of dying but my bride needs to know that I am still breathing so I talk to her daily via Satellite phone. It works great and is relatively inexpensive.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go out exploring on my own from time to time but, mostly, I have my wife or a fishing buddy with me. When I do go out alone, I tend to err on the side of caution. If I'm headed out to the woods or to a permission that is somewhat remote, I let my wife know where I'm going and how long I am likely to be gone. If I'm heading out on one of the local lakes in my kayak, I let my wife know where I'm heading and leave a float plan under a windshield wiper on my truck. On long kayak fishing trips at the beach, I check in periodically by either radio (amateur radio operator) or cell phone.

Regardless of where I go, I tend to have a first aid kit, some toilet paper, some water, and a few other necessities with me ... including my concealed carry.

I think it is important for someone to know where I am ... not necessarily for me; rather, for their peace of mind. I think it would be wrong to leave my loved ones wondering what happened to me if something goes wrong. Absent death, I want someone to know where I am so they can come get me.

MCX

Apr 21, 2018
NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, I love hiking alone. I also go waaaaay off the grid...middle-of-nowhere NV, UT, AZ. Even though I'm by myself, I'm always prepared: satellite phone with emergency location beacon, firearm, first aid, etc. But, you still never know. About a year ago, I was up in the mountains of central NV, no cell service and about 80-miles off road. Ended up having a nasty injury - had to hop back to my truck on one leg (left leg was unusable and couldn't bare wight) and bleeding profusely. Made it to my truck, bleeding all over, drove the several hours out to a highway, called my wife on my satellite phone and had her meet me at the doctor's office. They triaged my leg to stop the bleeding and had me in surgery just hours later. Months after rehab and being able to walk again, I was right back out there again. Maybe I'm stubborn (yeah, definitely stubborn), but I love being outdoors too much to let this incident change the way I want to live my life.

-------------
Visit my blog - https://www.talesfromthedesert.com/

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MCX I'm glad you made it out of that pinch, what an ordeal! I'm heading out alone again in a couple of days. No one can go with but what the heck. I have to take advantage of this great weather. Before long it will be blistering hot here again.

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stringtyer, it sounds like you go very well prepared. Be safe out there and enjoy!

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I often solo explore and travel around the state. I try to make sure I have some survival supplies in the truck, just in case. Too many of the places I go don't have cell service, and if we are mine exploring a cell phone won't do any good if something happens while we are underground.

A couple of years ago I invested in a SPOT tracker. Every message sent by the tracker displays the lat/lon of where the device is at the time the message is sent. When we stop to explore, I send a message saying that we are starting to explore at that locaiton. When we come back out, I send an "OK" message. Search and rescue would have a really good starting point if we didn't send an "OK" message as expected. I also use it when I ride my motorcycle since I like to wander without a lot of pre-planning.

I think a lot of us would prefer to die doing something we love rather than lying in a hospital bed with tubes, lines, and wires attached everywhere. That said, I don't want to die unnecessarily because I didn't take a few reasonable precautions.

Joanne

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
happened to me once. :tongue3: I was detecting an old Circus site when
someone walked up to me and told me about an old hermits cabin
in the woods about a mile away, and that the hermit had recently died.
he would only walk to town on SS Check day for Groceries.

so I decided to Hike in and check it out.
because of Timing, I made a haphazard Search of the Stone wall surrounding the Yard
and the Yard itself, not finding Anything. Not even Trash that I Remember , I Laid my detector on the Porch and
entered the cabin. there was no door but there was a board laying across the threshold
I had to step over. place was starting to fall in. and I started looking up for places things could be stashed or
set. again absolutely Nothing was left but wood :(

on my way out I tripped over the wood laying in the doorway,
Didn't get my foot high enough, and broke my Wrist.
Had to carry all my equipment out with it. :(

This was at least 10 years ago, Forgot about that place.
Never did go back there again :(

Since then I Carry a First aid kit in my car which includes
Wire Splints from an old Miners First aid Kit.
But it only goes as far as My car. So I Still would have had to Hike out before using anything.

Of course back then I Was a Smoker, So I had by Cigarettes for Mental First aid Treatment

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joanne, sounds like a good system, the SPOT.

OP
OP
O

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff those darn wrist injuries hurt don't they! Too bad you never made it back to further explore that cabin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread