Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Hiking alone

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Rick

Jan 2011
    Yuma, AZ
    Mxt, Gold Bug
    959 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hiking alone

I like hiking and exploring alone, the solitude is refreshing. I've done it many times over the years and in some fairly remote areas too. I thought because I had a GPS, cellphone, sidearm, first aid kit, food, water, etc., I'd always be just fine, even on an overnighter. Not long ago I fell while dropping down into a wash and tore up the palm of my left hand and sprained my wrist. Put the first aid kit to work and I was fine. However, it made me think how much of a dilemma I could have faced if I had broken something or injured myself worse in some way. I was about 3 miles from my truck when it happened. From now on I will invite someone to go with. I really don't mind company, I just enjoyed the alone time and peacefulness. But getting older makes you think (or at least it should I suppose) that being alone in those situations really isn't a smart move. Any thoughts?
    You can't get where you want to be if you stay where you're at!

us
    Mar 2013
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    2966 times
    Metal Detecting
    same here! I'd rather solo, as I've worked in the (wet) NW woods, and often by myself, all day...!
    I enjoyed it a lot, however there were some close calls with bear and mtn lion. And, of course,
    some falls, but minor injuries, lucky for I usually did't have a radio. Cell phones weren't heard of yet...!
    Now, after reaching my young 70's, I'm thinking on having a buddy along now, too....!
    OreElse and T.C. like this.
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

Charter Member
    us
    Rick

Jan 2011
    Yuma, AZ
    Mxt, Gold Bug
    959 times
    Yes and there's those critters too. I've hunted elk and deer alone many times. I've only actually seen one mountain lion in all my years of being out there. And it vanished into thin air quickly. I have had a few close calls with rattlers though. Stay safe sir!
    cyzak likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rick

Jan 2011
    Yuma, AZ
    Mxt, Gold Bug
    959 times
    No bears where I'm at but I have been where bears are many times.
    creskol likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    7830 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I like to hike alone, too. If it kills me in some fashion, then at least I will go out doing what I like to do.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Tejon
    19187 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    The only place I go by myself is a state park that allows detecting.
    OreElse likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rick

Jan 2011
    Yuma, AZ
    Mxt, Gold Bug
    959 times
    Creskol, I can't argue that point. Be safe, sir!
    creskol and VonDigger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2983 times
    Prospecting
    Yup...what Creskol said. I turned 70 in December, and am still going into the mountains alone. Probably die out there someday, but I told my wife and friends that I'd rather go that way than lying in a hospital bed with a bunch of tubes running into, and out of me. It ain't being dead that's bad....it's getting dead.
    Jim

Charter Member
    us
    Rick

Jan 2011
    Yuma, AZ
    Mxt, Gold Bug
    959 times
    Can't argue with that assessment either, Jim! Keep at it!

us
    Sep 2018
    Carroll County, Maryland
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    I like to hike alone, too. If it kills me in some fashion, then at least I will go out doing what I like to do.
    Yeah that's what I always said too, til I got old.
    OreElse likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    7830 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmantrapper View Post
    Yeah that's what I always said too, til I got old.
    I am old, too! Just a matter of time before I am pushing up Daises!
    OreElse likes this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Lunch Bag

Dec 2018
    Coastal Georgia
    XP DEUS
    384 times
    Relic Hunting
    I hunt all over the world in very remote areas and often alone. I have absolutely zero fear of dying but my bride needs to know that I am still breathing so I talk to her daily via Satellite phone. It works great and is relatively inexpensive.
    OreElse and Carlitosway2 like this.

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    804 times
    I go out exploring on my own from time to time but, mostly, I have my wife or a fishing buddy with me. When I do go out alone, I tend to err on the side of caution. If I'm headed out to the woods or to a permission that is somewhat remote, I let my wife know where I'm going and how long I am likely to be gone. If I'm heading out on one of the local lakes in my kayak, I let my wife know where I'm heading and leave a float plan under a windshield wiper on my truck. On long kayak fishing trips at the beach, I check in periodically by either radio (amateur radio operator) or cell phone.

Regardless of where I go, I tend to have a first aid kit, some toilet paper, some water, and a few other necessities with me ... including my concealed carry.

I think it is important for someone to know where I am ... not necessarily for me; rather, for their peace of mind. I think it would be wrong to leave my loved ones wondering what happened to me if something goes wrong. Absent death, I want someone to know where I am so they can come get me.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

MCX
    us
    https://www.talesfromthedesert.com/

Apr 2018
    NV
    45 times
    Same here, I love hiking alone. I also go waaaaay off the grid...middle-of-nowhere NV, UT, AZ. Even though I'm by myself, I'm always prepared: satellite phone with emergency location beacon, firearm, first aid, etc. But, you still never know. About a year ago, I was up in the mountains of central NV, no cell service and about 80-miles off road. Ended up having a nasty injury - had to hop back to my truck on one leg (left leg was unusable and couldn't bare wight) and bleeding profusely. Made it to my truck, bleeding all over, drove the several hours out to a highway, called my wife on my satellite phone and had her meet me at the doctor's office. They triaged my leg to stop the bleeding and had me in surgery just hours later. Months after rehab and being able to walk again, I was right back out there again. Maybe I'm stubborn (yeah, definitely stubborn), but I love being outdoors too much to let this incident change the way I want to live my life.

-------------
    Visit my blog - https://www.talesfromthedesert.com/

Charter Member
    us
    Rick

Jan 2011
    Yuma, AZ
    Mxt, Gold Bug
    959 times
    MCX I'm glad you made it out of that pinch, what an ordeal! I'm heading out alone again in a couple of days. No one can go with but what the heck. I have to take advantage of this great weather. Before long it will be blistering hot here again.
    MCX likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links