Best Mobile Radio

Sarahlowe

Greenie
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I am a complete novice to be honest and dont yet have my Ham Operator License but plan on getting it in the near future. With that aside, I am looking for a rugged, longish range handheld ham radio that costs under $300.00. I plan on using this for a SHTF type scenario and will also take it to rifle courses I plan on taking that require comms.

Last edited:

SamuelStewart

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest a proper mobile radio: you can use it in the car, in the house, wherever, and you will get more range. I also suggest not buying yet another Chinese radio, as many of them have poor receivers easily susceptible to overloading. Anything by Yaesu, ICOM, Kenwood or Alinco. Spend some time mounting a good antenna outdoor at home with good coax and a well-placed mobile antenna.

OP
OP
S

Sarahlowe

Greenie
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might stick with the FTM-100XDR since I am more familiar with Yaesu. Though, the Kenwood looks like a nice model. Anything other in the $300-$350 range?

SamuelStewart

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might stick with the FTM-100XDR since I am more familiar with Yaesu. Though, the Kenwood looks like a nice model. Anything other in the $300-$350 range?

II recommend you the FT-2980 Original Yaesu. I ordered this radio for my father for Christmas. He loves absolutely everything about it, and after playing with it for a while myself, I can honestly say that I can't find a better quality radio than this one for anywhere near that price. There are some others models that are also available and you can check their reviews as well from https://www.whollyoutdoor.com/best-mobile-ham-radios/ and can pick according to your needs.

Last edited:

thegreenmile

Aug 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some guy convinced me Baofeng a couple of weeks ago. I don't know sh*t since I don't even have a license yet. But it was like $40 shipped and looks nice in the box; much much smaller than I expected though.
I don't know how well it works because I've never unwrapped it, but come back to me in a few months when I get around to getting my licence and I'll let you know.
I would recommend considering this survival radio review. Many of these radios come with redundant power sources not dependent on electricity, such as hand cranking and solar energy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread