Best Mobile Radio
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Mar 2021
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Best Mobile Radio

Hello all! I am a complete novice to be honest and dont yet have my Ham Operator License but plan on getting it in the near future. With that aside, I am looking for a rugged, longish range handheld ham radio that costs under $300.00. I plan on using this for a SHTF type scenario and will also take it to rifle courses I plan on taking that require comms.
    Last edited by Sarahlowe; Jul 03, 2021 at 05:11 AM.

Feb 2021
    1 times
    I suggest a proper mobile radio: you can use it in the car, in the house, wherever, and you will get more range. I also suggest not buying yet another Chinese radio, as many of them have poor receivers easily susceptible to overloading. Anything by Yaesu, ICOM, Kenwood or Alinco. Spend some time mounting a good antenna outdoor at home with good coax and a well-placed mobile antenna.

Mar 2021
    6 times
    I might stick with the FTM-100XDR since I am more familiar with Yaesu. Though, the Kenwood looks like a nice model. Anything other in the $300-$350 range?

Feb 2021
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlowe View Post
    I might stick with the FTM-100XDR since I am more familiar with Yaesu. Though, the Kenwood looks like a nice model. Anything other in the $300-$350 range?
    II recommend you the FT-2980 Original Yaesu. I ordered this radio for my father for Christmas. He loves absolutely everything about it, and after playing with it for a while myself, I can honestly say that I can't find a better quality radio than this one for anywhere near that price. There are some others models that are also available and you can check their reviews as well from https://www.whollyoutdoor.com/best-mobile-ham-radios/ and can pick according to your needs.
    Last edited by SamuelStewart; Jul 17, 2021 at 08:54 AM.

us
    Aug 2007
    Lawton, OK
    Teknetics T2
    130 times
    These are some good starter radios:
    Amazon.com : baofeng uv-82
    Also you can program them with MARS freqs till you get your HAM license.
    Civilian contractor teaching Air Defense at Fort Sill (Lawton) OK.
    Remember a gold pan is like marijuana, the gate way drug to an 8 inch dredge!

Aug 2021
    1 times
    Some guy convinced me Baofeng a couple of weeks ago. I don't know sh*t since I don't even have a license yet. But it was like $40 shipped and looks nice in the box; much much smaller than I expected though.
    I don't know how well it works because I've never unwrapped it, but come back to me in a few months when I get around to getting my licence and I'll let you know.
    I would recommend considering this survival radio review. Many of these radios come with redundant power sources not dependent on electricity, such as hand cranking and solar energy.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    20843 times
    For when the SHTF just buy the best quality(hand crank radio) you can find
    > https://shop.helloharbor.com/product...caAhpeEALw_wcB
    Last edited by RTR; Aug 30, 2021 at 06:41 AM.

Sponsored Links