Exchanging that 1911 Colt for a non-lethal weapon that also starts campfires

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Cuts down a lot on the weight you carry around with you, silent, and it takes care of pesky wasp-nests and insects as well as just about anything else.

Turn a flashlight into a handheld burning laser
http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/turn-a-flashlight-into-a-handheld-burning-laser-287252.php

Laser Flashlight Hack!!
Turn a MiniMag flashlight into a powerful DVD laser pointer! This 245mw laser is powerful and fits real cozy in a MiniMag!
http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Flashlight-Hack!!/
The instructions say "DVD Writer" not "CD-RW drive"!

Please DO NOT attempt doing this with a CD-RW drive!

CD Writers use infra red lasers, and are very powerfull (depending on the speed), but you would not be able to see the IR light. (That's why it says on the drive "Invisible laser radiation when open!")

In the worst case scenario you would then look directly into the laser diode and think "Why is this thing not working?", while the IR beam would be severely hurting your eyes, without you even knowing! You could go blind! Especially, since it's invisible, and you wouldn't even blink to protect your eye...

If you use a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive, you will find two laser diodes inside. One of them would be the IR one, and the other would be the red one.

This would still not burn anything, since it's only a Reader. But it would be stronger than a usual laser pointer..

The only source of powerfull red LDs (laser diodes) are DVD Writers. In order for them to be able to burn anything, you'd need at least a 16x DVD Writer. Even better is a 18x. But not all have good LDs.

Go here for a list of good ones: [www.candlepowerforums.com]

Please remember, this thing is NOT a toy. The red ones do make you blink, but they can still damage your eyes severely or even permanently blind you...

IgorT at 06:00 AM on 10/26/07 Reply by Email *

The instructions CLEARLY say to use a DVD Writer and not a CD-RW drive.

CD-RW use an invisible IR laser, that can be even more dangerous, since you don't see it and your eye doesn't blink to protect itself.. In the worst case scenario you would then even look directly into the LD (laser diode) and think "Why is this not working?" while it would be damaging your eyes or even blinding you!

The only good source for red LDs are DVD writers. The faster the stronger.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/diy-laser-weapon/make-your-own-laser-flashlight-288114.php
Use a DVD instead of a CD, because DVD laser is visible. CD is using IR laser. You can not see the beam.
The instructions say "DVD Writer" not "CD-RW drive"!

Please DO NOT attempt doing this with a CD-RW drive!

CD Writers use infra red lasers, and are very powerfull (depending on the speed), but you would not be able to see the IR light. (That's why it says on the drive "Invisible laser radiation when open!")

In the worst case scenario you would then look directly into the laser diode and think "Why is this thing not working?", while the IR beam would be severely hurting your eyes, without you even knowing! You could go blind! Especially, since it's invisible, and you wouldn't even blink to protect your eye...

If you use a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive, you will find two laser diodes inside. One of them would be the IR one, and the other would be the red one.

This would still not burn anything, since it's only a Reader. But it would be stronger than a usual laser pointer..

The only source of powerfull red LDs (laser diodes) are DVD Writers. In order for them to be able to burn anything, you'd need at least a 16x DVD Writer. Even better is a 18x. But not all have good LDs.

Go here for a list of good ones: [www.candlepowerforums.com]

Please remember, this thing is NOT a toy. The red ones do make you blink, but they can still damage your eyes severely or even permanently blind you...

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
snake35 said:
Good idea, but I will stick with my Glock.

I'm not evangelical about it. Just throwing out an alternative that might appeal to some. I'll carry both the laser and the 1911 a while until the laser proves itself. But I'm thinking anything that can set fire to the hair, eyebrows and/or clothing of whatever might be the problem has a lot of merit and I might eventually leave the 1911 behind.

You gotta admit anything that doesn't appear to be a weapon but has the capability of melting the eyeballs of a man with a Glock or a 1911 Colt has some potential advantages beyond whatever the local statutes say about carrying firearms.

Jack

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
I had a standoff with a 100 pound pit bull on my own property once that caused me to give a lot of thought to the matter of non-lethal weaponry and the lowest-common-denominator a person applies to firing a handgun in a threatening situation. I held off almost too long because I didn't want to kill a killer-dog belonging to my neighbor despite the fact that dog was slinking up, growling and baring his teeth a dozen feet away with no sign of changing his mind. Just buying time to get closer.

In retrospect I'd far rather have given the animal a chance to smell his way home than what actually transpired.

But it's all a matter of personal preferences, I'll concede.

Jack

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
A gun has its place, I prefer the mil. S&W .38 revolver, It is lite and doesn't leave the cases. I also like the frontier 22/mag, single action is ok with me. I don't know about the laser or pepper spray etc. But those spray can horns used to signal on boats are cheap and do a great job spooking things off. How about WD-40 and a Bic, like napalm. You can make crispy critters. Do we have an evil mind? LOL Gnewt

Willy

Two words "BEAR SPRAY".. won't start a fire, but burns like the fiery pits of hell if you get it in your eyes/nose/mouth. It's MUCH stronger than those little cans of 'mace' and and generic pepper spray (even, I believe, stronger than what the cops use) and has has something like a 20'-30' range. Can take out a whole crowd of baddies or send a whole pack of nasty animals running. It's also, within limits, non-lethal. ..Willy.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
If animals are killers and in my area, they will kill kids first and baby animals too
I don't shoot pets or critters that are harmless but those sprays and non lethal weapons are not my weapon of choice. If those beautiful killers go extinct so be it.
California are protecting animals that are killing women and kids, I don't hunt there or here, but if anything attacks me he is dead. I don't want him to get away and attack my neighbor, family and pets. They may not be prepared.
This means I have to stay out of California and other States that frown on me taking out a dangerous animal or snake. Gnewt

Willy

Well, I live up in B.C. and a lot of the places I MD have either/both griz and black bears.. sometimes cougars (and not the ones with beehive do's). Also, firearms are strictly regulated here and good luck getting a handgun or, even worse, a concealed carry permit. On top of that, there are always crackheads and such hitting the backwoods for a bit of "fun". ..Willy.

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
Be careful if you make one of these IT IS NOT A TOY. Seriously, if you accidentally shine it in your eye it will burn your retinas out before you even have time to blink, and it's permanent. It is WAY stronger then a laze pointer. Even the reflection off a shiny steel object can do serious permanent damage to your eyes.

Read the comments on the link.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
I am outdoors, camping, Prospecting/TH'ing/etc, the mnts/deserts, of
NM,Az,Cal,Nv, So.Cal, Etc, for MONTHS! each year ! :tongue3:
&
I have been doing this for yrs,Well!
Since '94, anyhow! :wink:
For ANIMAL defense
My choice! of a "carry along" weapon, evolved to "BEAR SPRAY"
In an emergency, JUST! how many people can "Draw, Aim" and Hit a critical, deadly
stopping area ?
of any animal!
I Know! this, For SURE! (A FACT!) :thumbsup:
&
When it's all over!
We don't have a human body or a wounded and deadly animal, roaming around
OR!
BOTH!
That STUFF is POTENT ! :o

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Ever get caught with no weapon by one of those worthless mutts that want to kill, hold out your arm in front of you so it bites down on it, and when it does, put your other arm behind its neck, and thrust upward hard and fast with the arm it is biting on until you break its neck.
If you get a dog that likes to bite and you want to teach it otherwise, when it bites, jam your arm to the very back of its mouth . . . this will hurt, and discourage the dog from repeating the experience.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Skywola said:
Ever get caught with no weapon by one of those worthless mutts that want to kill, hold out your arm in front of you so it bites down on it, and when it does, put your other arm behind its neck, and thrust upward hard and fast with the arm it is biting on until you break its neck.
If you get a dog that likes to bite and you want to teach it otherwise, when it bites, jam your arm to the very back of its mouth . . . this will hurt, and discourage the dog from repeating the experience.
That will work fine if you have the fortitude to engage in that kind of hand to hand and the physical ability to do it .
Worked for me several times ...........
Given the choice , I'll stick with my 1911 ..............................

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
My Blackhawk 44 would blow a hole in them big enough for a blind man to piss through, but you can't always have your weapon on you everywhere you go. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread