Tent Camping, Tips, Tricks & Advice.

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
Tent Camping, Tips, Tricks & Advice.

:) Hi All, I just Bought a new tent and would like to hear of any experiences

others have had, Camping in a tent - Good Or Bad!

I bought it mostly for emergencies, and besides, I always wanted a Good Tent.

I have acquired some accessories over the years, like a Coleman Camp Kitchen,

A 2 burner propane cook stove - 170,000 BTU,

A 2 mantle propane lantern on a wand for a 5 Gallon propane tank,

plus some other miscellaneous items.

This is the tent I Bought.
http://www.elitedeals.com/eupilocate.html
Camping Tent.jpg

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Re: Tent Camping, Tips, Tricks & Advice.

Nice tent, I have a domed Eureka tent myself that sleeps six. Get yourself a heavy duty tarp to use as a ground cover and put your tent on top of that. It will keep you drier and the floor of the tent will be better protected. I see your floor measures 12'X10' so you would need the same size tarp or you can get a 12'X12' tarp and fold it under. Just be sure whichever size tarp you use to tuck it under at least a half foot on all 4 sides otherwise the rain running off the sides of the tent will get in between the tarp and the floor and you will get wet. Also be sure to go over the ground you intend to set the tent up on and remove any stones twigs rocks sticks etc. Also check to be sure there are no dead trees around where you're setting up. Don't forget the S'Mores!!
Good Luck!
Glenn

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State

a door mat works well for keeping dirt out of your tent I use the astroturf type, a folding table to keep food up off the ground makes life easier for extended stays. Portable shower

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Hang a nice set of curtains; makes
the camping tent seem much more
like home.

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico

Seam sealer on all the seams before you use it ain't a bad idea. The rest of the bottle somewhere in your gear when you're using it also ain't

Jack

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT

:) Thanks for the replies with tips and advice, some good usable info.

I have a small utility trailer I tow behind a 4 wheeldrive vehicle which will get loaded with all the accessories when I do go camping.

I have a 55 gallon plastic barrel for fresh wash water with a 12 volt water pump and a heavy duty 12 volt marine Deep Cycle RV battery and a small gas generater for charging the battery and providing electrical power for tools ETC. plus 4 - 6 gallon water jugs filled with distilled water for drinking and cooking, (only).

If staying for a week or so, a good outhouse needs to be erected and a sack of hydrated lime placed in a hefty garbage sack with a small cup and kept directly by the throne, so a sprinkle of lime can be placed on each visit to keep things sanitary,
especially in hot weather.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008

Inflatable airbed with 12 volt air pump is the way we go, can't be too comfortable. :thumbsup:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

yup a cot or an airbed is a must. if it rains and the interior of the tent gets wet, at least you will be up off of the wet floor and will be able to sleep. take it from a guy who has slept 5 nights in 2 inches of water.........its no fun! ::)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

also a few 15x15 tarps or larger
cat litter also works in place of lime

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Needle,
I average 20+ days of tent camping a year. (Boy Scouts). One thing you can and should do every time out is clean and sweep out your tent. Also never store a wet tent, dry it out in a garage or large building first. On a good sunny day with a little breeze I just stake mine out over the clothes line. Take care of your tent and you will get plenty of use out of it.

Ed D.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes using seam sealer is a must and the tarp, also remember not to let things be left touching the insides of the tent or when you wake up you will be wet ie: clothes and pillows make sure your head is a little ways form touching the sides ;D And depends or where your camping as to what you can bring to the site --- last year we were camping in a dry camp (no water except one hand pump) so no showers and it had an out outhouse, no food, pop any sweets or sweet smelling stuff someone before us had been leaving stuff around to draw in a bear (dummies) so , this (fun) thing Haha! they thouht they would do to get a pic caused alot of problems and the couple that came to celebrate there anniv. had to go to town and get a room! :wink: So they would not the bear! Sorry about that but true!

Bring extra tent stakes also and some areas will not let you tie on to trees ect. for hanging a line to dry things on and fire wood could only be something already on the ground. I am sorry alot of this you probably already know I am in mom mode my daughter is getting her first family tent and her husband has never been camping and I tend to go over board in trying to remind her of everything she already knows! ;D

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT

:) It never hurts to be reminded of things that one already knows,

it is part of the inventory process to create a successful camping

adventure or any other activity, Thank you. :icon_study: :wink:

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

a tarp on the inside slightly smaller than the floor will allow moisture that does leak into the tent to go underneath and not wet your gear. But one on the outside larger than the tent is a hugh bonus when rain sets in. My brothers and i camped almost every weekend when growing up and deer hunting. And man did we ever camp in some awful weather. By the way, a large sponge works well for removing water from the tent.

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT

:) Can you remember your first experience sleeping in a tent?

I can remember, it was in 1953, I was only 5 years old, my Father and Grandfather took me Buck hunting with them to Eastern Oregon.

We hunted on horses, well, they had horses, I was given a 2-year-old Shetland Stud to ride. (Little horse for a little dude,)

Eastern Oregon Hunt 1953.jpg
I can still remember the smell of sagebrush and juniper trees.

That little Shetland and I would ride circles around them all day long, now that I think back, they were letting me do that so I would flush out any bedded down Bucks.
(I was being used like a bird dog and didn't even know it :tongue3:)

Granddads Old Tent was a heavy Brown canvas with a center pole and an umbrella like system at the top to keep the tent open.

We made camp at an old abandoned homestead site, it still had a corral for the horses at night.

I remember getting into my sleeping bag and sleeping with my single shot 22 rifle and letting the sound of coyotes sing me to sleep.

I awoke to the smell of fresh brewed coffee and bacon, I was thirsty, we had a dairy cream can filled with water sitting outside the tent with a ladle hanging on the handle for drinking.

When I took the lid off to get a drink, I had to break 4 inches of Ice to get to the water.
(My first brain freeze)

Those are some precious memories, thanks to that Old Tent which kept us from dying from exposure.

I should add that it was a successful hunt, I got to see my first mule deer Buck hanging from a juniper tree limb.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wonderful memory! Mine was not any where near that great but, it was still so good I could not wait to go again and make the changes that needed to be done to have REAL fun! But mine was in Girl Scouts! And the only animal I got to see was 4 paws then a body slip thru the tent flap as a bob cat slipped in --walked down the middle of the tent and walked out the other end -- NO ONE believed me they said I was dreaming, -- no I was wide awake! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT

:) I think that is a great story, not everyone is fortunate enough to have an experience like that, sometimes truth is more increadable than fiction.

Thank you for sharing.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks I thought it was kinda cool I was only 9 ( I think)! But it is a good memory!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread