What are your other hobbys??

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
One of the (many) hobbies I have is rebuilding old computers. Started doing this about ten years back when
one of the kids friends, needed a computer but the family couldn't afford one. All the refurbs I do now go to
families in need, free of charge. (I do some custom new builds as well)

Here is a very small example of what I have sitting around, waiting to be put back into use.
(the gateway laptop is just over a year old, donated by an irate woman who`s five year old
scratched the word "hi" into the screen the same day her cat chewed up the power cord.) :wink:

Attachments

• puterstuff1.JPG
    puterstuff1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 438

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Ray.....Those oil paintings are very good, do you take them from a drawing or something? or do you go and sit and paint from live?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't call them 'hobbies' per se, as I have little time to persue them at the moment. When I retire from the US Army in 3-5 years, I'll have more time on my hands then I'll know what to do with (yea, right!)

My interests are:

Raising Llamas or Alpacas
Beekeeping
I want to own a horse for riding and perhaps for packing
Of course, I want to learn to become a Farrier as well
I enjoy working in my yard as a stress reducer and want to design and maintain a hobby garden
I would like to do more goldpanning/prospecting
I enjoy 'wrenching' on my 1983 Full sized Ford Bronco (I6, T-18)
I hate computer software, but I love building computers

I find myself starting to daydream more these days, I have to keep that stuff in check!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Unicorn said:
Ray.....Those oil paintings are very good, do you take them from a drawing or something? or do you go and sit and paint from live?

I find various items that I like, such as a particular sky, cloud formation, tree, water scene and then combine them to form my painting. These items normally come from other landscape and seascape paintings that I have seen or research.

This technique is based on the wet on wet technique taught by Bob Ross. I met Mr. Ross some years ago before he passed away. It was an honor to meet him and shake his hand.

Glad you enjoyed viewing the paintings.

Ray S

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I dabble in a little bit of everything.

Not in any sort for order:

Played paintball for a number of years and got to travel the US playing tournaments.

macevegas.jpg

I like archery, Guns, reloading, Geocaching and anything to do with the outdoors.

Go skiing in the winter.

Enjoy signmaking and making computerized cut vinyl decals and just got started using heat press vinyl to make custom T shirts.

BUCKNASTY.jpg

Taught myself to pick locks one weekend (which has turned into a very valuable skill on a number occassions due to locked toolboxes and lockers/desk drawers at work)

In the last year or two started racing Pitbikes.....small kid-sized motorcycles that are made for adults.

makitax4shot.jpg

Like editing videos and photos with the computer using a range of software. Putting peoples heads on bodies that don't belong to them always gets some good laughs. Here is me juggling some baseballs that I made for an online profile photo as well as me and some buddies with Bob Saget at a bowling alley.

juggler2.gif

gaybowlerscopy.jpg

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see ..... Fishing, Hot Rods & Flame Painting for a few.

Attachments

• DSC01039 [50%].JPG
    DSC01039 [50%].JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC01028 [50%].JPG
    DSC01028 [50%].JPG
    160 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC01579 [50%].JPG
    DSC01579 [50%].JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC01581 [50%].JPG
    DSC01581 [50%].JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 379

bcinbucks

Dec 30, 2007
Philadelphia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the refurbs I do now go to
families in need, free of charge. (I do some custom new builds as well)

That's a nice thing to do.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An older post, but I had to think awhile before responding...Hunting, fishing, campin, hiking...wait, those are ways of life, and you said hobbies. OK, beadwork, photography, target shooting (non-match), reading, painting, wrecking homes and breaking hearts. (Well I dropped the last two many years ago.)

Jan 14, 2013
Over there, Somewhere. K-town
Detector(s) used
Electrons. A lot of them.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kayaking! > All the boat building forums are abandoned :dontknow:
Electronics8-) > edaboard, physics.org, optiboard, laserpointerforum, arduino forum, MAKE
Audiophile > Diyma, Gearslutz, AVS

...so I hang around forums too much:dontknow:

Extreme DIYer!

I used to enjoy other hobbies, but unfortunately the communities (forums) were pretty discouraging.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt, fish, metal detect, and coin roll hunt.

anika

Oct 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My other hobbies are:

-Dancing
-Listening to Music
-Cooking
-Travelling and exploring different places.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bounce around from hobby to hobby and usually come back to those that I like most. Among them over the past 15 years are fishing, fly fishing, fly tying, hunting, model rocketry, geocaching, camping, photography, canoeing, building and operating 3D plastic printers (I've built 3 of them), building a workshop in one of my garages, genealogy, and my most favorite... napping.

Roy

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kinda like that too, roygpa, I bounce around with my hobbies, returning to the ones I enjoy the most.
Tekkering being a favorite, people watching, sewing, cooking, fishing, (I only camp nowadays in a comfy bed, next to the ocean, lol!),
lobstering, and reading. I don't get to read as much, as I used to or would like to. Public and private activism, when I can.

I really like the 3-d printer thing, you're in to! I've wanted one, but have no where to put it.
My thoughts were, I could use it to make prosthesis for children and vets first, then use it to make gadgets I could sell on line.
If you have any ideas how I might could get in to the 3-d printing thing, send me a pm, please. I know NOTHING of the set-ups, ramifications, schematics, etc.......

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am way into cigars & libations. I also love shooting (Handguns and Rifles), Cooking and playing Live Texas Hold'em.

MVC-002S.JPG MVC-001S.JPG MVC-003S.JPG MVC-004S.JPG MVC-005S.JPG

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice work on those stones/rocks. Is that using a tumbling process to get them polished and shiny?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread